Aviara Healthcare Center is in Encinitas, California, a city with a population of 49,121 people. Sporting an overall score of B, this is a fine nursing home. Based on our assessment, you can do much worse than this place. You should also take a look at this nursing home's category grades below. We discuss short-term care in the next section.
Aviara Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Dialysis Transportation
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Blood Administration
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility excelled at short-term care, where it earned an A-. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. We were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Turning to another one of this place's strengths, it also received a very impressive inspection grade. In fact, inspections proved to be one of its best category grades. In that area, we awarded this facility an A-. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was hit with 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to patient health or safety. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Aviara Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average grade of B in this area. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in this category it typically means it has plenty of staff and is a quality place to live on a permanent basis. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccines. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 98.55073 percent of its patients. This is a proven method to minimize unnecessary deaths for the senior population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final category we looked at is nursing. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in that category. There are numerous subcategories included in this category. Many of the criteria reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, we also assessed several nursing quality measures. While this place got docked a bit for nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality metrics. With less than five percent of its residents experiencing pressure ulcers, it fared remarkably well in this area. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving residents at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aviara Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term care residents who have pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients that sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a facility with lower levels of hygiene. However, this datapoint could also be misleading for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Many in the industry would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 0.32 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.93 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.39 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 14.13 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.31 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis0.24 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Fmc-La Jolla9.2 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Fmc-North Coast Kidney Center9.97 miles away3300 Vista Way, Suite A Oceanside California 92056CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (760) 721-4344
- u.s. Renal Care Oceanside Dialysis10.48 miles away2227- B El Camino Real Oceanside California 92054CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 757-1838
- Fmc-Buena Creek10.57 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Fmc-Rancho11.17 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis11.22 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center11.25 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170