Aviara Healthcare Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Encinitas, California. We gave this facility an overall grade of B+. A grade of this caliber requires favorable marks in most areas. You can certainly do much worse than this nursing home. We also gave this nursing home impressive scores in each of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Aviara Healthcare Center
Updated May 1, 2022 by Sara Levinsohn
944 Regal Road,
Encinitas CA 92024
69.41% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
To pair with its strong overall grade, we gave this facility an A- for our short-term care grade. In our short-term care grade, we strive to forge a valuable measure for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. This nursing home employs both physical therapists and registered nurses. Not all facilities employ these skilled professionals. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that it fared as well as just about any nursing home in the nation with 69.3 percent of its residents returning home. Most facilities are below 50 percent in this statistic.
In addition, this nursing home also received excellent health inspections in recent years. We awarded them one of our better grades in that area, with an A-. Inspection ratings are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's inspections. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Aviara Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it received a grade of B+. It performed more favorably than most facilities in this area. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. One of the criteria we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccination to 99.08676 percent of its residents. This is a reliable method to avoid unnecessary deaths and hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Lastly, we looked at the nursing home's number of hospitalizations. With 1.99 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home was just about middle of the pack in this area.
The next area we looked at is nursing. We awarded this nursing home one of our better grades in this category, with a grade of B. This nursing home proved to be very solid across the board. Our nursing score assesses the facility's nurse staffing levels. We factor in both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home averages 3.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at certain nursing quality measures in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these data points as good measures of the caliber of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aviara Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 7.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 1.66% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are often linked to poor nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 1.19% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 9.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 13.87% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 4.32% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are exhibiting symptoms of depression. Increased levels of depression may indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 96.21% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 8.35% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 14.01% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 14.01 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 9.82 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aviara Healthcare Center, 79.69% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 0.32 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.93 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Scripps Memorial Hospital La JollaAcute Care Hospitals 11.29 miles away9888 Genesee Avenue La Jolla California 92037Physician(858) 626-4123
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 13.16 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.39 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 14.13 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.31 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis0.24 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Fmc-La Jolla9.2 miles away4765 Carmel Mountain Road, Suite 100 San Diego California 92130Dialysis Stations: 24 (858) 793-0058
- Fmc-North Coast Kidney Center9.97 miles away3300 Vista Way, Suite A Oceanside California 92056CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (760) 721-4344
- u.s. Renal Care Oceanside Dialysis10.48 miles away2227- B El Camino Real Oceanside California 92054CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 757-1838
- Fmc-Buena Creek10.57 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Fmc-Rancho11.17 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700
- Davita-Carmel Mountain Dialysis11.22 miles away9850 Carmel Mountain Road, a-D San Diego California 92129CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 538-1083
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center11.25 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170