Avenue at Macedonia is an average-sized nursing home located in Macedonia, Ohio. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this is likely a middle of the road facility. Based on our analysis, there are certainly far worse facilities out there. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's profile is its exemplary inspection reports, which we will address in the next section.
Avenue at Macedonia
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
9730 Valley View Road,
Macedonia OH 44056
75.1% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was decent, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A for that category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection scores account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One key criteria we weigh heavily is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this category usually have very few severe deficiencies. While this facility had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, we also wanted to note that this facility was awarded positive long-term care marks in this assessment. We gave them one of our better grades in that area, with a B. This turned out to be the facility's second strongest grade. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is usually a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses aids. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccines. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 94.618835 percent of its residents. This is a proven method to avoid negative health outcomes for the elderly population. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Avenue at Macedonia?
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of B- in this category. Our nursing score is based on several components, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident each day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, our nursing ratings also consider quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often a reliable indicator that a place has quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's worst category was short-term care, which is the last area we looked at. Sadly, it received an abysmal F in this area. Even with some acceptable grades in other categories, this grade is still concerning so we wanted to draw your attention to it. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. The purpose is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. In this place's case, we found that it offers fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than the average facility. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avenue at Macedonia Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avenue at Macedonia, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avenue at Macedonia, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients which suffered a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in computing nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avenue at Macedonia, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avenue at Macedonia, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avenue at Macedonia, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avenue at Macedonia, 20.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression. Many would argue this is a measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avenue at Macedonia, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avenue at Macedonia, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avenue at Macedonia, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Avenue at Macedonia, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avenue at Macedonia, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avenue at Macedonia, 12 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avenue at Macedonia, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.84 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.43 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Metrohealth SystemAcute Care Hospitals 14.32 miles away2500 Metrohealth Drive Cleveland Ohio 44109Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 778-7089
- Rainbow Babies and Childrens HospitalChildrens 14.5 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Other(216) 844-1000
- Uh Cleveland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.5 miles away11100 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44106Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 844-1000
- Cleveland ClinicAcute Care Hospitals 14.53 miles away9500 Euclid Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44195Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 445-8400
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.97 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Davita Twinsburg Dialysis3.12 miles away2592 E. Aurora Rd. Suite 100 Twinsburg Ohio 44087Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 405-3030
- Nephrology Associates at Oakwood, Ltd.4.39 miles away7690 First Place, Suite E, Bldg D Bedford Ohio 44146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 439-1526
- Fmc - Solon6.23 miles away6020 Enterprise Parkway Solon Ohio 44139Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 248-7061
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group-North Randall7.8 miles away5035 Richmond Road Bedford Ohio 44146Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 591-1364
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.8.03 miles away4877 Galaxy Parkway Suite A Cleveland Ohio 44128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (216) 378-5050
- Nephrology Associates of Cleveland, Ltd.8.57 miles away5595 Transportation Blvd., Suite 110 Cleveland Ohio 44125CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 581-0801
- Cleveland Home Dialysis9.23 miles away9729 Granger Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Dialysis Stations: 4 (216) 438-7325
- Fmc - Streetsboro Kidney Center9.4 miles away9200 Staples Drive, Ste A Streetsboro Ohio 44241Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 422-0160