Avenue at Aurora is an average-sized nursing home located in Aurora, Ohio. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of B+. A score of this caliber requires strong scores in most areas. We were so impressed with this nursing home that we ranked it in the top third of all facilities in the country. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile is its inspection reports. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avenue at Aurora
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Aurora senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to faring well overall, this facility also received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it earned one of our best grades in that area with an A+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher grades in this area most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so favorably is that it received a very impressive short-term care grade. In fact, short-term care ended up being its second best category score. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A-. Short-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.6 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Avenue at Aurora?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this facility, we awarded them one of our better scores in our long-term care category as well, with a B. Facilities that do well in long-term care typically provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. Once we finished looking at the volume of nursing care, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia sadly can be a life threatening illness for nursing home patients so we prefer when a facility doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
The final category we graded is nursing. In this area, we gave this nursing home an impressive grade of B. Our nursing grade assesses the facility's nurse staffing levels. We look at both the levels of skill of those nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with patients. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some quality-based measures in this category. This facility fared well in some of the quality measures we assessed. For example, in terms of the number of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, this facility performed better than the national average. This is generally an indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Pressure ulcers can typically be prevented with better nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avenue at Aurora Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avenue at Aurora, 5.42% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents which suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avenue at Aurora, 4.35% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients which sustained a fall which resulted in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avenue at Aurora, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who have had urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a facility with lower levels of hygiene. Nevertheless, this datapoint could be skewed for certain nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avenue at Aurora, 12.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term residents which were given antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avenue at Aurora, 16.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avenue at Aurora, 33.65% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. Some believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avenue at Aurora, 99.22% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avenue at Aurora, 14.78% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and continence. Some would argue this is a measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avenue at Aurora, 10.77% of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Some would argue that the ability to move around is important for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avenue at Aurora, 10.77% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avenue at Aurora, 18.04% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avenue at Aurora, 67.38% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
Scores for Aurora, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-plus
Looking for more options? Aurora, Ohio has 3 other nursing homes
- University Hospitals Portage Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.25 miles away6847 N Chestnut Ravenna Ohio 44266Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 297-2300
- University Hospitals Ahuja Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.88 miles away3999 Richmond Road Beachwood Ohio 44122Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 593-5510
- Summa Western Reserve HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.74 miles away1900 23rd Street Cuyahoga Falls Ohio 44223Voluntary non-profit - Other(330) 971-7000
- Marymount HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.3 miles away12300 Mccracken Road Cleveland Ohio 44125Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 581-0500
- Hillcrest HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.58 miles away6780 Mayfield Road Cleveland Ohio 44124Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 312-4500
- Uh Geauga Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.25 miles away13207 Ravenna Rd Chardon Ohio 44024Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 269-6000
- Summa Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 17.74 miles away525 East Market Street Akron Ohio 44309Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 375-3000
- Akron General Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.61 miles away1 Akron General Avenue Akron Ohio 44307Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 344-6000
- Fmc - Streetsboro Kidney Center4.42 miles away9200 Staples Drive, Ste A Streetsboro Ohio 44241Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 422-0160
- Davita Twinsburg Dialysis5.18 miles away2592 E. Aurora Rd. Suite 100 Twinsburg Ohio 44087Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 405-3030
- Fmc - Solon8.74 miles away6020 Enterprise Parkway Solon Ohio 44139Dialysis Stations: 16 (440) 248-7061
- Nephrology Associates at Oakwood, Ltd.9.82 miles away7690 First Place, Suite E, Bldg D Bedford Ohio 44146CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 439-1526
- Davita Ravenna Dialysis Total Renal Care9.95 miles away600 Enterprise Parkway Ravenna Ohio 44266Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 297-5846
- Usrc Kent LLC10.48 miles away1720 East Main Street Kent Ohio 44240Dialysis Stations: 13 (330) 346-0467
- Fmc - Portage County Kidney Center10.55 miles away401 Devon Place Ste 100 Kent Ohio 44240CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 677-0880
- Fmc - Ohio Renal Care Group-North Randall11.34 miles away5035 Richmond Road Bedford Ohio 44146Dialysis Stations: 15 (216) 591-1364