Ave Maria Home is just one of 13 facilities in Memphis, Tennessee. We awarded this nursing home a first-rate overall score of A-. It graded out better than most of the nursing homes in Memphis by a wide margin. Based on our analysis, you can't go wrong with this nursing home. This facility's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection rating, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ave Maria Home
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Memphis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well overall, this nursing home also received a nearly flawless inspection report. Therefore, it earned one of our best grades in that area with an A+. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Adding to its dominant assessments in other areas, we awarded this facility a grade of A for our long-term care rating. When nursing homes receive this kind of score in this category it is typically a good sign for patient care and suggests that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents, which is much higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Ave Maria Home?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this facility, we awarded them one of our more favorable scores in our short-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. Short-term care scores are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 5.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
The last area we analyzed was nursing. We awarded this nursing home a decent grade in that category, with a B-. Even though this isn't as strong as some of this nursing home's other grades, it is nevertheless not a terrible score. There are many factors within this grade. Most of the data points relate to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides only 0.6 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a somewhat discouraging figure as it is well below the national average. Lastly, nursing ratings also factor in quality-based measures, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is typically an indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ave Maria Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ave Maria Home, 12.9% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ave Maria Home, 0.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ave Maria Home, 9.13% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ave Maria Home, 17.28% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia. Sadly, in limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ave Maria Home, 23.65% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ave Maria Home, 3.91% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ave Maria Home, 99.33% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ave Maria Home, 26.87% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ave Maria Home, 25.18% of Residents
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility.
In Ave Maria Home, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ave Maria Home, 25.18% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ave Maria Home, 4.49% of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ave Maria Home, 73.09% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Memphis, TN
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Memphis, Tennessee has 12 other nursing homes
- Saint Francis Bartlett Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.45 miles away2986 Kate Bond Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Proprietary(901) 820-7050
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.98 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.12 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.52 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 10.86 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 11.28 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 11.34 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 12.28 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Isd Bartlett LLC2.81 miles away2920 Covington Pike Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (901) 248-6020
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc2.9 miles away5020 English Towne Dr Memphis Tennessee 38128Dialysis Stations: 19 (901) 266-1551
- Fmc Bartlett3.28 miles away3348 N Germantown Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 379-2447
- Fmc North Memphis3.65 miles away3850 Austin Peay Hwy Suite 10 Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (901) 388-1749
- Davita Singelton Farms Dialysis3.68 miles away4031 Austin Peay Hwy Memphis Tennessee 38128Dialysis Stations: 17 (901) 379-0491
- Renal Care of Memphis North3.72 miles away4913 Raleigh Commons Drive, Suite 100 Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (901) 937-0650
- u.s. Renal Care Galleria Dialysis3.89 miles away8592 Ricky Bell Cove Memphis Tennessee 38133Dialysis Stations: 20 (901) 380-5755
- Davita Wolf River Dialysis4.84 miles away7990 Trinity Road Suite 101 Cordova Tennessee 38018Dialysis Stations: 12 (901) 751-3120