Avante at Melbourne is an average-sized nursing home located in Melbourne, Florida. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. We found this facility to be better than most of the nursing homes in Melbourne, which has a city grade of B. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Avante at Melbourne
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores are tied to several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple relatively minor dings are not necessarily something to panic about.
Building on its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home an B+ for our nursing rating. Nursing grades are primarily associated with the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as having a policy of moving a resident more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Avante at Melbourne?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded a strong short-term care score as well. We awarded it one of our higher grades in that area with a grade of B. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for patients seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires more highly-skilled nursing. This includes a vast range of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final statistic we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 4.3 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is long-term care. This facility was given a very good long-term care score in our assessment, with a grade of B-. Even though this wasn't as good as many of its other category grades, this remains a decent rating for that category. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. After assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.6139 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is more than the vast majority of nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avante at Melbourne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avante at Melbourne, 9.03% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avante at Melbourne, 2.8% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents which have experienced a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avante at Melbourne, 1.82% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avante at Melbourne, 10.99% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avante at Melbourne, 21.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avante at Melbourne, 2.43% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avante at Melbourne, 94.61% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avante at Melbourne, 13.17% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avante at Melbourne, 18.15% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Avante at Melbourne, 1.59 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avante at Melbourne, 18.15 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avante at Melbourne, 9.19 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avante at Melbourne, 77.65% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Melbourne, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Melbourne, Florida has 9 other nursing homes
- Holmes Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away1350 S Hickory St Melbourne Florida 32901Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-7000
- Steward Melbourne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away250 North Wickham Road Melbourne Florida 32935Proprietary(321) 752-1200
- Palm Bay HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.03 miles away1425 Malabar Rd, Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907Proprietary(321) 434-8000
- Viera HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.88 miles away8745 N Wickham Rd Melbourne Florida 32940Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-9000
- Steward Rockledge HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.07 miles away110 Longwood Ave Rockledge Florida 32955Proprietary(321) 637-2603
- Steward Sebastian River Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.08 miles away13695 Us Hwy 1 Sebastian Florida 32978Proprietary(772) 589-3187
- Cape Canaveral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.67 miles away701 W Cocoa Beach Causeway Cocoa Beach Florida 32932Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 799-7111
- Melbourne Kidney Center0.18 miles away1400 S Apollo Blvd Melbourne Florida 32901CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (321) 724-0461
- Melbourne Dialysis0.81 miles away2235 South Babcock St Melbourne Florida 32901Dialysis Stations: 16 (321) 956-6252
- Fmc - Brevard Home Therapies3.85 miles away2200 W Eau Gallie Blvd #202a Melbourne Florida 32935Dialysis Stations: 4 (321) 259-1181
- Renal Care Group - Brevard3.91 miles away1355 Palm Bay Rd Palm Bay Florida 32905Dialysis Stations: 20 (321) 768-9801
- Palm Bay Kidney Center5.84 miles away220 Medplex Pkwy Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 722-2709
- Fmc - Palm Bay7.05 miles away450 Malabar Rd Se #101 Palm Bay Florida 32907Dialysis Stations: 17 (321) 409-0874
- Dsi - Viera Dialysis11.5 miles away8041 Spyglass Hill Rd Suite 101 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 254-4553
- North Melbourne Dialysis Inc12.88 miles away14 Suntree Place Suite 102 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 10 (321) 253-9033