Avante at Melbourne is an average-sized nursing home located in Melbourne, Florida. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B, which is a good rating. This grade was right in line with the city grade in Melbourne. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avante at Melbourne
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Melbourne senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
One of the reasons this ended up being a strong nursing home is that it earned an impressive inspection grade. Inspections turned out to be its best category. In that area, we gave it an A. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with better grades in this category most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none were serious based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Among its many impressive grades, this nursing home earned an excellent nursing rating. We gave it an B+ in that area. Our nursing rating is mostly tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Avante at Melbourne?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its third most favorable category grade in the area of short-term care. We gave this facility a grade of B- in this category, which is a respectable score. In our short-term care score, we endeavor to forge a valuable gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess the facility's scope of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 4.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our fourth category, this nursing home was given a decent long-term care score of C. For residents seeking a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. Once we assessed the volume of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinates 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This facility keeps its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avante at Melbourne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avante at Melbourne, 13.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avante at Melbourne, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avante at Melbourne, 0.38% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can also be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avante at Melbourne, 13.04% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avante at Melbourne, 20.18% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avante at Melbourne, 0% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who are exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry believe that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avante at Melbourne, 99.36% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avante at Melbourne, 8.26% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and bathing. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avante at Melbourne, 11.63% of Residents
This is the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Avante at Melbourne, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avante at Melbourne, 11.63% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avante at Melbourne, 11.48% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avante at Melbourne, 93.15% of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Melbourne, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Melbourne, Florida has 4 other nursing homes
- Holmes Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away1350 S Hickory St Melbourne Florida 32901Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-7000
- Steward Melbourne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away250 North Wickham Road Melbourne Florida 32935Proprietary(321) 752-1200
- Palm Bay HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.03 miles away1425 Malabar Rd, Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907Proprietary(321) 434-8000
- Viera HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.88 miles away8745 N Wickham Rd Melbourne Florida 32940Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-9000
- Steward Rockledge HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.07 miles away110 Longwood Ave Rockledge Florida 32955Proprietary(321) 637-2603
- Steward Sebastian River Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.08 miles away13695 Us Hwy 1 Sebastian Florida 32978Proprietary(772) 589-3187
- Cape Canaveral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.67 miles away701 W Cocoa Beach Causeway Cocoa Beach Florida 32932Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 799-7111
- Melbourne Kidney Center0.18 miles away1400 S Apollo Blvd Melbourne Florida 32901CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (321) 724-0461
- Melbourne Dialysis0.81 miles away2235 South Babcock St Melbourne Florida 32901Dialysis Stations: 16 (321) 956-6252
- Fmc - Brevard Home Therapies3.85 miles away2200 W Eau Gallie Blvd #202a Melbourne Florida 32935Dialysis Stations: 4 (321) 259-1181
- Renal Care Group - Brevard3.91 miles away1355 Palm Bay Rd Palm Bay Florida 32905Dialysis Stations: 20 (321) 768-9801
- Palm Bay Kidney Center5.84 miles away220 Medplex Pkwy Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 722-2709
- Fmc - Palm Bay7.05 miles away450 Malabar Rd Se #101 Palm Bay Florida 32907Dialysis Stations: 17 (321) 409-0874
- Dsi - Viera Dialysis11.5 miles away8041 Spyglass Hill Rd Suite 101 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 254-4553
- North Melbourne Dialysis Inc12.88 miles away14 Suntree Place Suite 102 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 10 (321) 253-9033