Avante at Melbourne is an average-sized nursing home located in Melbourne, Florida. This facility was awarded an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average rating. We were pleased to learn that this was in line with the other facilities in Melbourne, which is one of the better cities in Florida to find a nursing home. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which you can find in the next section.
Avante at Melbourne
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Our inspection scores are tied to several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Contributing to its profile, this facility also earned a score of B+ for its long-term care rating. This is an above average grade in this area. When facilities receive this type of grade in this category it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. In addition to looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Avante at Melbourne?
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. Our nursing score weighs several datapoints, but the paramount one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Florida in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving patients at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we rated is short-term care. We gave this facility a decent score in this category, with a grade of B-. Although this isn't as dominant as some of its other scores, it is nevertheless a middle of the pack score. Short-term care grades are based on the facility's quantity of skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, in addition to other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we considered in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.7 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avante at Melbourne Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avante at Melbourne, 9.08% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avante at Melbourne, 2.82% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term care patients who suffered a fall which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in determining nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avante at Melbourne, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avante at Melbourne, 10.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents with cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avante at Melbourne, 21.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care patients which were administered antianxiety medication. These medications are typically used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avante at Melbourne, 2.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who are showing symptoms of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avante at Melbourne, 94.94% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avante at Melbourne, 13.07% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avante at Melbourne, 16.78% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a great sign for residents' health.
In Avante at Melbourne, 1.76 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avante at Melbourne, 16.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avante at Melbourne, 9.16 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avante at Melbourne, 78.49% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Melbourne, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Melbourne, Florida has 9 other nursing homes
- Holmes Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away1350 S Hickory St Melbourne Florida 32901Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-7000
- Steward Melbourne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away250 North Wickham Road Melbourne Florida 32935Proprietary(321) 752-1200
- Palm Bay HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.03 miles away1425 Malabar Rd, Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907Proprietary(321) 434-8000
- Viera HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.88 miles away8745 N Wickham Rd Melbourne Florida 32940Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 434-9000
- Steward Rockledge HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.07 miles away110 Longwood Ave Rockledge Florida 32955Proprietary(321) 637-2603
- Steward Sebastian River Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.08 miles away13695 Us Hwy 1 Sebastian Florida 32978Proprietary(772) 589-3187
- Cape Canaveral HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.67 miles away701 W Cocoa Beach Causeway Cocoa Beach Florida 32932Voluntary non-profit - Private(321) 799-7111
- Melbourne Kidney Center0.18 miles away1400 S Apollo Blvd Melbourne Florida 32901CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (321) 724-0461
- Melbourne Dialysis0.81 miles away2235 South Babcock St Melbourne Florida 32901Dialysis Stations: 16 (321) 956-6252
- Fmc - Brevard Home Therapies3.85 miles away2200 W Eau Gallie Blvd #202a Melbourne Florida 32935Dialysis Stations: 4 (321) 259-1181
- Renal Care Group - Brevard3.91 miles away1355 Palm Bay Rd Palm Bay Florida 32905Dialysis Stations: 20 (321) 768-9801
- Palm Bay Kidney Center5.84 miles away220 Medplex Pkwy Ne Palm Bay Florida 32907CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 722-2709
- Fmc - Palm Bay7.05 miles away450 Malabar Rd Se #101 Palm Bay Florida 32907Dialysis Stations: 17 (321) 409-0874
- Dsi - Viera Dialysis11.5 miles away8041 Spyglass Hill Rd Suite 101 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 18 (321) 254-4553
- North Melbourne Dialysis Inc12.88 miles away14 Suntree Place Suite 102 Melbourne Florida 32940Dialysis Stations: 10 (321) 253-9033