Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound is on a list of 10 options in Tacoma, Washington. We awarded this facility an impressive overall grade of A-. Indeed, it proved to be the best facility in Tacoma according to our rankings. Based on our ratings, this nursing home is just about as as good as it gets. If you scroll down, you will see this facility's category ratings, which are also quite good.
Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Our nursing rating is largely based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a system of turning residents at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an A+ for its short-term care grade. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound?
In addition, this nursing home received a very good inspection report this year as well. It received one of our better scores in that category with a B. Arguably the most important factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home was assessed 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored was this facility's worst category. Nevertheless, even its weakest link would actually be a highlight for most facilities. In fact, we awarded it a favorable grade of B for our long-term care category. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 92.72727 percent of its residents, which is somewhat below what we anticipated. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 6.98% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 3.03% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who had a fall leading to severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 2.22% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can be misleading for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 13.94% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 12.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 13.68% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 93.98% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 13.82% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 23.27% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients who maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 23.27 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 11.24 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 74.06% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Tacoma, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Tacoma, Washington has 9 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 10.31 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.83 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.28 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- Tacoma Dialysis Center1.79 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.3.17 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.4.32 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.6.03 miles away4700 Point Fosdick Dr Nw Ste 101 Gig Harbor Washington 98335Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 851-0330
- Lakewood Community Dialysis Center6.22 miles away5919 Lakewood Towne Center Blvd Sw #A Lakewood Washington 98499CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (253) 512-2400
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.6.56 miles away1415 E 72nd St Tacoma Washington 98404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 474-2310
- Rainier View Dialysis Center6.89 miles away1822 112th St East Suite A Tacoma Washington 98445CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 539-5659
- Parkland Dialysis Center7.48 miles away311 140th St S Tacoma Washington 98444CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (253) 536-5961