Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound is one of four facilities located in Tacoma, Washington. This nursing home was given an A- overall, which is an elite grade. We rated this facility in the 50 best facilities in Washington. If you scroll down, you will see this nursing home's category grades, which are also impressive.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Tacoma senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize that this nursing home excelled in our nursing score. We awarded them an A+ in this category. Our nursing grade looks at the facility's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to point out the fact that this facility was given an impressive score of A in our short-term care category. In the category of short-term care, we strive to evaluate indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We assess a facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 6.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a strong long-term care score. Indeed, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this category. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Finally, we also found that this facility has received favorable inspections in recent years. In fact, we gave it a B in this category. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a facility's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this category most likely avoided the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This place received 7 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to be an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 2.63% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 5.77% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety medications. These medications are typically given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 9.52% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 97.73% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care patients who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 13.64% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term care residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 13.55% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 13.55% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 8.07% of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avamere Transitional Care of Puget Sound, 74.64% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of independence with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Tacoma, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Tacoma, Washington has 3 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.99 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.34 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 10.31 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.81 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 13.83 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.28 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- Tacoma Dialysis Center1.79 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.3.17 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.4.32 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.6.03 miles away4700 Point Fosdick Dr Nw Ste 101 Gig Harbor Washington 98335Dialysis Stations: 12 (253) 851-0330
- Lakewood Community Dialysis Center6.22 miles away5919 Lakewood Towne Center Blvd Sw #A Lakewood Washington 98499CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (253) 512-2400
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.6.56 miles away1415 E 72nd St Tacoma Washington 98404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 474-2310
- Rainier View Dialysis Center6.89 miles away1822 112th St East Suite A Tacoma Washington 98445CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 539-5659
- Parkland Dialysis Center7.48 miles away311 140th St S Tacoma Washington 98444CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (253) 536-5961