Avamere at Pacific Ridge is located in the large metropolitan area of Tacoma, Washington. With an overall score of D, this is a subpar nursing home. Based on our assessment, we would struggle to recommend this nursing home. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's profile, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avamere at Pacific Ridge
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Tacoma senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't give this place a good overall grade, we actually gave it a relatively strong grade in the area of inspections, where it received a B+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid places that have too many deficiencies. This place was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A few minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B-. We scrutinized the qualifications of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours the nurses spent with residents, in calculating our grade in this area. This place provides only 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a somewhat alarming figure which is well below average. Lastly, nursing ratings also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually an indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a nursing home supplies enough nurses aids to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Avamere at Pacific Ridge?
Long-term Care Quality
We gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our long-term care score. This is not a score to write home about. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category may not provide the kind of consistent 24/7 care that some other nursing homes offer. On top of considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 76.95652 percent of its patients. This is multiple points below what we were hoping for. To our surprise, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we rated was short-term care. It received an abysmal F in this category, which is a poor score. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Based on its abysmal score in this area, we weren't surprised to discover that this place provides significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we looked at in this category is the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 3.8 percent of its patients returning home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avamere at Pacific Ridge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 7.46% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who have experienced a fall leading to major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 2.29% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who have suffered from a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 13.89% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 12.61% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents who were prescribed antianxiety medication. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 13.28% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 92.89% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 14.67% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 18.81% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels.
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 0.99 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 18.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 12.21 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 75.22% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Tacoma, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Tacoma, Washington has 3 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.65 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 9.88 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.98 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.99 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.65 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.1.72 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.2.14 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.2.49 miles away1415 E 72nd St Tacoma Washington 98404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 474-2310
- Tacoma Dialysis Center2.68 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Nkc Fife Kidney Center4.08 miles away6021 12th Street E, Suite 110 Tacoma Washington 98424Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 943-6335
- Parkland Dialysis Center5.07 miles away311 140th St S Tacoma Washington 98444CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (253) 536-5961
- Lakewood Community Dialysis Center5.71 miles away5919 Lakewood Towne Center Blvd Sw #A Lakewood Washington 98499CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (253) 512-2400
- Rainier View Dialysis Center6.32 miles away1822 112th St East Suite A Tacoma Washington 98445CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 539-5659