Avamere at Pacific Ridge is located in the large metropolitan area of Tacoma, Washington. With an overall score of B-, this is likely a middle of the pack nursing home. Based on our assessment, this place is a good fit for most people. This facility was stronger in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Avamere at Pacific Ridge
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Part of the reason this turned out to be a decent nursing home is that it received a very favorable nursing score. In fact, its nursing grade ended up being its best category. In this category, we awarded this facility a B+. When calculating a facility's nursing rating, we look at the amount of time nurses are seeing residents as well as the levels of training of the nurses. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of B+. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. Perhaps the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category typically avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Avamere at Pacific Ridge?
Long-term Care Quality
The third category we graded was long-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. For prospective patients seeking a permanent residence rather than rehabilitation, long-term care grades are a key measure. One of the statistics we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit concerned this nursing home provided the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 83.98576 percent of its residents. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was short-term care. We awarded it a grade of C in that category. This is not a bad grade in this area. Short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a broad spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 3.8 percent of this facility's patients returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avamere at Pacific Ridge Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 7.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic indicates the percent of long-term care patients who suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 2.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents who suffered falls which caused serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 2.28% of Patients had UTIs
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some facilities due to different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 13.8% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents which were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely on these drugs due to an increased number of patients suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 12.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 13.74% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression may indicate worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 93.71% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 13.94% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 21.78% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 1 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 21.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 10.98 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avamere at Pacific Ridge, 74.42% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of performance with activities of daily living often correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Tacoma, WA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Tacoma, Washington has 9 other nursing homes
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.65 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 627-4101
- St Clare HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.06 miles away11315 Bridgeport Way S W Lakewood Washington 98499Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 588-1711
- St Francis Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away34515 9th Avenue South Federal Way Washington 98003Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 944-8100
- Multicare Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.33 miles away401 15th Avenue Se Puyallup Washington 98372Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 697-2102
- Madigan Amc (Ft Lewis)Acute Care - Department of Defense 9.88 miles away9040 Jackson Avenue Tacoma Washington 98431Department of Defense(253) 968-1110
- Multicare Auburn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.98 miles away202 North Division Street Plaza One Auburn Washington 98001Voluntary non-profit - Private(253) 833-7711
- St Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.99 miles away11567 Canterwood Boulevard Nw Gig Harbor Washington 98332Voluntary non-profit - Church(253) 530-2050
- Highline Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 16.65 miles away16251 Sylvester Road Sw Seattle Washington 98166Voluntary non-profit - Private(206) 244-9970
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.1.72 miles away1717 South J Street Tacoma Washington 98405Dialysis Stations: 20 (253) 627-1995
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.2.14 miles away5825 Tacoma Mall Blvd Ste 103 Tacoma Washington 98409CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (253) 671-9937
- Renal Care Group Northwest, Inc.2.49 miles away1415 E 72nd St Tacoma Washington 98404CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 14 (253) 474-2310
- Tacoma Dialysis Center2.68 miles away3401 S 19th St Tacoma Washington 98405CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (253) 573-1600
- Nkc Fife Kidney Center4.08 miles away6021 12th Street E, Suite 110 Tacoma Washington 98424Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 943-6335
- Parkland Dialysis Center5.07 miles away311 140th St S Tacoma Washington 98444CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (253) 536-5961
- Lakewood Community Dialysis Center5.71 miles away5919 Lakewood Towne Center Blvd Sw #A Lakewood Washington 98499CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (253) 512-2400
- Rainier View Dialysis Center6.32 miles away1822 112th St East Suite A Tacoma Washington 98445CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 10 (253) 539-5659