Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation is in Salt Lake City, Utah. This city is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 594,043 people. This nursing home turns out to be a grade A facility, which is a high-end grade. We flat out can not say enough great things about this place. Keep reading to find this facility's category scores, which also impressed us. You really can't do any better than a straight A profile.
Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of performing well in its overall score, this facility received an excellent long-term care rating. In fact, we gave it an impressive grade of A in that area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. In addition to assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. Inspection scores weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better scores in this area tend to have few severe deficiencies. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation?
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its fine assessment, this facility also received a strong short-term care grade, with a score of A-. In the area of short-term care, we attempt to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
The final area we looked at was nursing, where this facility was given an A-. This wrapped up a very strong report card. Few nursing homes received an A- or better in in each area we assessed. There are a number of data points included in this area. Most of the factors are tied to the quantity and quality of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 6.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a fall which caused serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this datapoint may be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 13.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 21.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 10.85% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 83% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 14% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 18.79% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 18.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 10.55 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percentage of short-term patients that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 25 other nursing homes
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Lone Peak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away11925 South State Street Draper Utah 84020Proprietary(801) 545-8000
- Riverton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away3741 West 12600 South Riverton Utah 84065Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 285-4000
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.19 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic1.07 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center1.56 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services2.94 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- South Valley Dialysis Center3.21 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745
- Liberty Dialysis West Jordan (Fmc)4.16 miles away3823 W 9000 S Ste D West Jordan Utah 84088Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 280-4600
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch4.48 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- Fresenius Kidney Care West Salt Lake4.95 miles away4101 West Pioneer Parkway Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84120Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 966-9978
- South Mountain Dialysis6.03 miles away10969 S Riverfront Pkwy Ste 100 South Jordan Utah 84095Dialysis Stations: 16 (801) 253-9696