Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation is in Salt Lake City, Utah. This city is one of the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation with has a total of 594,043 people. This nursing home turns out to be a grade A facility, which is a high-end grade. We flat out can not say enough great things about this place. Keep reading to find this facility's category scores, which also impressed us. You really can't do any better than a straight A profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
6246 South Redwood Road,
Salt Lake City UT 84123
77.58% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A for our inspections rating. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in determining our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies can be found on a facility's inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving health risks or even death. While this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also was elite in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a score of A-. Only a select group of nursing homes fared better in this area. Short-term care ratings are based on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was elite in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a grade of A-. Very few facilities performed better in this area. When facilities receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it has plenty of staff and is an overall good place to reside on a permanent basis. One of the factors we considered after nursing hours was vaccinations. This facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 99.33555 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a proven method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the nursing home population. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
In the final category, we awarded this facility a grade of A for our nursing rating. This wrapped up a very impressive report card. There are a host of data points included in this category. Most of the factors reflect staffing levels. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a patient at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 6.23% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 3.44% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 2.54% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 15.2% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients which were prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 21.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 11.45% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing signs of depression. Increased levels of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 80.77% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 13.95% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 14.91% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 14.91 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 13.64 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon West Health & Rehabilitation, 71.49% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of autonomy with ADL's typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation.
Scores for Salt Lake City, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Salt Lake City, Utah has 14 other nursing homes
- Intermountain Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.73 miles away5121 South Cottonwood Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 507-7000
- Jordan Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away3580 West 9000 South West Jordan Utah 84088Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 561-8888
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.44 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Alta View HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.15 miles away9660 South 1300 East Sandy Utah 84094Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 501-2600
- Lone Peak HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.53 miles away11925 South State Street Draper Utah 84020Proprietary(801) 545-8000
- Riverton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.26 miles away3741 West 12600 South Riverton Utah 84065Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 285-4000
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.95 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.19 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- West Valley Dialysis Clinic1.07 miles away3854 W 5400 S Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (801) 969-6801
- Oquirrh Artificial Kidney Center1.56 miles away5320 South 2700 West Salt Lake City Utah 84129CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 417-9900
- Intermountain Medical Center Dialysis Services2.94 miles away74 West Vine Street Salt Lake City Utah 84107CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (801) 507-9000
- South Valley Dialysis Center3.21 miles away8750 S Sandy Pkwy Sandy Utah 84070Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 233-8745
- Liberty Dialysis West Jordan (Fmc)4.16 miles away3823 W 9000 S Ste D West Jordan Utah 84088Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 280-4600
- Fresenius Kidney Care Wasatch4.48 miles away3702 South State Street, Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (801) 904-4407
- Fresenius Kidney Care West Salt Lake4.95 miles away4101 West Pioneer Parkway Suite 101 Salt Lake City Utah 84120Dialysis Stations: 13 (801) 966-9978
- South Mountain Dialysis6.03 miles away10969 S Riverfront Pkwy Ste 100 South Jordan Utah 84095Dialysis Stations: 16 (801) 253-9696