Avalon Villa Health Care is a large nursing home located in Los Angeles, California. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a well below average facility. We rated this as one of the ten worst rated facilities in Los Angeles. Given that the city has more than 50 other nursing homes, you will probably be able to find a better option here. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its strong nursing score. You can scroll down to find out about nursing and other category grades
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avalon Villa Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Los Angeles senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't give this facility a good overall score, we actually gave it a very strong grade in the area of nursing, where it earned a B+. This is better than most nursing homes in this area. There are numerous criteria included in this grade. Most of the subcategories reflect nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can many times be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home's next highest score was short-term care. As it turns out, with a grade of D in this area, it still performed relatively badly. Short-term care scores are critical for people seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more skilled nursing. This means a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other types of therapy. With a score in this range in this area, we were not shocked to learn this nursing home was well below average in the two key staffing figures we assess. In fact, it provided far fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most facilities. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of residents that returned home from the nursing home. This facility struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 3.5 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Villa Health Care?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility was awarded a grade of just D in this category. Nursing homes that do not fare well in long-term care typically aren't as well-staffed and are lagging in a few of the areas of routine medical care we looked at. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit concerned this facility provided the vaccine to a relatively low 79.60199 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Turning our final area of inspections, this facility received an F here. You should pay special attention to any deficiencies on a nursing home's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection score. We recommend you scrutinize the severity of those deficiencies. This particular facility was assessed 9 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we found is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a threat to resident health or safety. Finally, we would like to draw your attention to the fact that this place received significant government fines recently in excess of $50,000. This generally suggests that government inspectors became frustrated after several years of failed government inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Villa Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term patients that suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a solid barometer of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term patients which have sustained a fall which caused major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who experienced UTI's. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to nursing homes having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients that were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 5.83% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 34 other nursing homes
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.75 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Fmc-Rai-Compton-Los Angeles1.09 miles away11859 Compton Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (323) 563-1140
- Davita-Kenneth Hahn Plaza Dialysis Center1.61 miles away11854 S. Wilmington Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 567-5077
- Davita-Gateway Plaza Dialysis Center1.62 miles away1580 W. Rosecrans Avenue Compton California 90220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 631-3085
- Mobile Dialysis Services, Inc. (Compton)2.45 miles away801 W. Compton Blvd. Compton California 90220Dialysis Stations: 36 (310) 637-9026
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - Redondo2.57 miles away1045 W. Redondo Beach Blvd., Suite 105 Gardena California 90247CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (310) 515-0788
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis3.44 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- Davita-Kidney Dialysis Care Unit3.54 miles away3600 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 886-5156
- Florence Dialysis Center3.73 miles away351 W. Florence Avenue Los Angeles California 90003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (323) 789-5690