Avalon Villa Health Care is a large nursing home located in Los Angeles, California. Featuring an overall score of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel facility. We rated this as one of the ten worst rated facilities in Los Angeles. Given that the city has more than 70 other nursing homes, you will probably be able to find a better option here. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Avalon Villa Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was rock bottom, it didn't perform as badly in the area of nursing. In fact, we gave it a C for that area. Nursing ratings are primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, nursing grades also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the category of long-term care, this facility was awarded just a D in this category. As it turns out, this ended up being one of its best areas. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means the facility didn't perform well in our quality measures relating to resident care. One of the statistics we considered after nursing hours is vaccinations. This facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 91.08635 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This was its best score in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Villa Health Care?
We also wanted to draw your attention to this nursing home's inspection grade where it received a lowly F. This usually means we found some red flags on the inspection reports. For nursing homes with bad inspection scores, you should really scrutinize any severe deficiencies found on their recent inspection reports. This particular facility was hit with 9 deficiencies by government inspectors. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of these deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a threat to patient safety or health. Lastly, we also need to point out that this place was assessed significant government fines recently in excess of $50,000. This usually suggests that inspectors grew tired after multiple years of bad government inspections.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this facility really did not fare very well in this area either. With a bottom of the barrel grade of F in short-term care, this is about as bad as it gets. In computing these short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a measure for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Not surprisingly, we found that this facility offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than a typical facility. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 2.6 percent of its patients returning home. Unfortunately, this was quite a bit below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Villa Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are routinely the result of lower levels of patient supervision. Additional nurse staffing limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents which were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents who were given antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly prescribed to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 4.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients showing depressive symptoms. Many in the industry believe this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 95.72% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may indicate erosion of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who remained mobile levels.
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with ADL's typically correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.75 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Fmc-Rai-Compton-Los Angeles1.09 miles away11859 Compton Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (323) 563-1140
- Davita-Kenneth Hahn Plaza Dialysis Center1.61 miles away11854 S. Wilmington Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 567-5077
- Davita-Gateway Plaza Dialysis Center1.62 miles away1580 W. Rosecrans Avenue Compton California 90220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 631-3085
- Mobile Dialysis Services, Inc. (Compton)2.45 miles away801 W. Compton Blvd. Compton California 90220Dialysis Stations: 36 (310) 637-9026
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - Redondo2.57 miles away1045 W. Redondo Beach Blvd., Suite 105 Gardena California 90247CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (310) 515-0788
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis3.44 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- Davita-Kidney Dialysis Care Unit3.54 miles away3600 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 886-5156
- Florence Dialysis Center3.73 miles away351 W. Florence Avenue Los Angeles California 90003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (323) 789-5690