Avalon Villa Health Care is a large nursing home located in Los Angeles, California. Featuring an overall score of F, we consider this to be a bottom of the barrel facility. We rated this as one of the ten worst rated facilities in Los Angeles. Given that the city has more than 70 other nursing homes, you will probably be able to find a better option here. More information on this facility's category grades may be found below. Its best category is nursing, which is discussed in the next paragraph.
Avalon Villa Health Care
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was rock bottom, it didn't perform as badly in the area of nursing. In fact, we gave it a B- for that area. Nursing ratings are primarily tied to the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a much lower figure than we were hoping for. Lastly, nursing grades also factor in quality-based measures, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home ended up receiving a a very poor score in our long-term care area. It received an F in this area. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it generally means the nursing home didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. One of the criteria we considered in addition to nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Frankly, we were a bit worried that this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to a relatively low 86.19792 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility had less hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This is its best feature in this category.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Villa Health Care?
Short-term Care Quality
Another issue was the F this nursing home received in the area of short-term care. In determining our short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. This area is generally a fair assessment of a nursing home's rehabilitation. With a grade this poor in this area, we weren't stunned to discover this nursing home was well below average in multiple staffing figures we assess. It offered significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most nursing homes. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents that were able to return home from this nursing home. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 3.5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was quite a bit off the national average.
The last category we assessed was inspections. This nursing home did not receive favorable government inspections in recent years. As a result, we gave it an F in this category. You should pay special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this bad of an inspection grade. We recommend you pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This particular nursing home had 9 deficiencies by CMS. The only positive thing we can say is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest that they caused a risk to resident safety or health. Finally, we want to point out that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines recently of over $50,000. This generally means that government inspectors became frustrated after multiple years of failed government inspections.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Villa Health Care Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term residents which experienced a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries may be an indication of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents which have sustained urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indicator of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic can also be misleading for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 95.44% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents that required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that were able to retain mobility.
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to maintaining the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Villa Health Care, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.2 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Community Hospital of Huntington ParkAcute Care Hospitals 5.1 miles away2623 E Slauson Ave Huntington Park California 90255Proprietary(323) 583-1931
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.49 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 7.68 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- California Hospital Medical Center LaAcute Care Hospitals 7.91 miles away1401 South Grand Avenue Los Angeles California 90015Voluntary non-profit - Other(213) 748-2411
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.94 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.04 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.75 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Fmc-Rai-Compton-Los Angeles1.09 miles away11859 Compton Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (323) 563-1140
- Davita-Kenneth Hahn Plaza Dialysis Center1.61 miles away11854 S. Wilmington Avenue Los Angeles California 90059CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (323) 567-5077
- Davita-Gateway Plaza Dialysis Center1.62 miles away1580 W. Rosecrans Avenue Compton California 90220CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (310) 631-3085
- Mobile Dialysis Services, Inc. (Compton)2.45 miles away801 W. Compton Blvd. Compton California 90220Dialysis Stations: 36 (310) 637-9026
- u.s. Renal Care Gardena Dialysis - Redondo2.57 miles away1045 W. Redondo Beach Blvd., Suite 105 Gardena California 90247CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (310) 515-0788
- Davita-Imperial Dialysis3.44 miles away2738 W. Imperial Highway Inglewood California 90303CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 779-5399
- Davita-Kidney Dialysis Care Unit3.54 miles away3600 E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd. Lynwood California 90262CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (310) 886-5156
- Florence Dialysis Center3.73 miles away351 W. Florence Avenue Los Angeles California 90003CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (323) 789-5690