Avalon Place is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in New Castle, Pennsylvania. This is a quality facility, with an overall grade of B+. Indeed, we thought highly enough of this facility to rate it ahead of most of the nursing homes in New Castle. This nursing home is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A. Few facilities performed better in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining these inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. While this place had a few deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Adding to this nursing home's list of strengths, it also received an excellent nursing grade. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Our nursing score is largely based on the facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in terms of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Place?
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to our next area, this nursing home also earned a grade of B for its long-term care rating. This is an above average score in this area. Nursing homes that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and offer extensive hands on care to patients. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 96.788994 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last category, this nursing home received an acceptable short-term care rating. Although this was not quite as impressive as many of its other scores, this is truly not the end of the world. In determining our short-term care grades, we size up the facility's levels of highly skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This grade is often a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 3.6 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Place, 7.72% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Place, 3.42% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of long-term patients that have sustained falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Place, 1.92% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections may be associated with insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Place, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for treating a variety of medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Place, 19.89% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Place, 3.23% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Place, 88.5% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Place, 15.28% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Place, 23.65% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is vital to patients mental and physical well-being.
In Avalon Place, 1.24 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Place, 23.65 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Place, 8.84 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Place, 72.22% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for New Castle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Castle, Pennsylvania has 5 other nursing homes
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Ellwood City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away724 Pershing Street Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Proprietary(724) 752-0081
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.96 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.14 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Heritage Valley BeaverAcute Care Hospitals 18.61 miles away1000 Dutch Ridge Road Beaver Pennsylvania 15009Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 728-7000
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 19.11 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Grove City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.59 miles away631 North Broad Street Ext. Grove City Pennsylvania 16127Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 450-7000
- New Castle Dialysis Center1.54 miles away100 South Jefferson Street, Suite 187 New Castle Pennsylvania 16101Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 652-2585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Castle2.22 miles away207 West Laurel Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 658-1216
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ellwood City8.58 miles away1407 Woodside Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 9 (724) 758-3446
- Total Renal Care, Inc.8.88 miles away807 Lawrence Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 5 (724) 752-1081
- Liberty Dialysis - Chippewa14.09 miles away100 Pappan Business Drive Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (724) 846-5030
- Dci of Beaver Falls / Chippewa14.16 miles away2562 Constitution Boulevard Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 891-5044
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC14.59 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.14.68 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995