Avalon Place is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in New Castle, Pennsylvania. This is an A rated facility, which is one of the best ratings that we offer. This facility turned out to be one of the better nursing homes in the city, which has a decent selection of nursing homes. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's stellar profile is its inspection score. Inspection grades are discussed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
3410 W. Pittsburgh Rd,
New Castle PA 16101
71.54% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with a strong overall score, we awarded this place an A+ for inspections. Inspection scores are tied to datapoints found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that score well in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A. Our nursing grade assesses the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of licensure of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving residents more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Place?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the category of short-term care, where it received a grade of B+. It performed more favorably than most nursing homes in this area. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we considered in this category is the number of residents who were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
In the final category, this nursing home also was awarded a very strong long-term care rating, with a B+. This topped off a very impressive profile. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is a good sign for patient care and suggests that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. After considering the quantity of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 96.65072 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is an impressive figure. Pneumonia is too frequently a life or death condition for nursing home patients so we strongly prefer when a nursing home does not leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Place, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Place, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Place, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. However, this metric can be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Place, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Place, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term residents that are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Place, 3.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Place, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for seniors, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Place, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may indicate the decline of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Place, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Avalon Place, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Place, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Place, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Place, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for New Castle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Castle, Pennsylvania has 5 other nursing homes
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Ellwood City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away724 Pershing Street Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Proprietary(724) 752-0081
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.96 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.14 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Heritage Valley BeaverAcute Care Hospitals 18.61 miles away1000 Dutch Ridge Road Beaver Pennsylvania 15009Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 728-7000
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 19.11 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Grove City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.59 miles away631 North Broad Street Ext. Grove City Pennsylvania 16127Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 450-7000
- New Castle Dialysis Center1.54 miles away100 South Jefferson Street, Suite 187 New Castle Pennsylvania 16101Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 652-2585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Castle2.22 miles away207 West Laurel Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 658-1216
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ellwood City8.58 miles away1407 Woodside Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 9 (724) 758-3446
- Total Renal Care, Inc.8.88 miles away807 Lawrence Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 5 (724) 752-1081
- Liberty Dialysis - Chippewa14.09 miles away100 Pappan Business Drive Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (724) 846-5030
- Dci of Beaver Falls / Chippewa14.16 miles away2562 Constitution Boulevard Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 891-5044
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC14.59 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.14.68 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995