Avalon Place is an average-sized non-profit nursing home located in New Castle, Pennsylvania. This is an A rated facility, which is one of the best ratings that we offer. We were not surprised to discover that this turned out to be quite a bit better than most of the nursing homes in New Castle. One of the major highlights of this nursing home's remarkable profile is its inspection rating. We discuss inspections in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on New Castle senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great overall grade, this facility also received A+ health inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among its many elite grades, this facility received an excellent long-term care grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of A in this area. When nursing homes receive a grade in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is a quality place to reside on a permanent basis. Once we assessed the amount of nursing care, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 98.941795 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a dangerous illness for nursing home residents so we like it when a nursing home doesn't roll the dice on this issue. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Place?
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of A-. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. In computing a facility's nursing score, we weigh the number of hours nurses spend with patients and the level of licensure of those nurses. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can generally be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our next category, this facility was given a high-end short-term care score. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- in this category, rounding out a straight A profile. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to assess measures of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Place Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Place, 7.89% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Place, 2.65% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are often associated with lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Place, 4.92% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with facilities with lower levels of hygiene. More frequent bathing can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this datapoint is affected by by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Place, 24.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for treating a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Place, 17.05% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Place, 0% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Place, 98.54% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Place, 4.55% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Place, 3.74% of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Avalon Place, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to preserving the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Place, 3.74% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Place, 24.96% of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to gauge short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Place, 85.19% of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for New Castle, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? New Castle, Pennsylvania has 3 other nursing homes
- Upmc JamesonAcute Care Hospitals 2.52 miles away1211 Wilmington Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16105Voluntary non-profit - Other(724) 656-4100
- Ellwood City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.56 miles away724 Pershing Street Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Proprietary(724) 752-0081
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.96 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.14 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Heritage Valley BeaverAcute Care Hospitals 18.61 miles away1000 Dutch Ridge Road Beaver Pennsylvania 15009Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 728-7000
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 19.11 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Grove City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 19.59 miles away631 North Broad Street Ext. Grove City Pennsylvania 16127Voluntary non-profit - Private(724) 450-7000
- New Castle Dialysis Center1.54 miles away100 South Jefferson Street, Suite 187 New Castle Pennsylvania 16101Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 652-2585
- Fresenius Kidney Care - New Castle2.22 miles away207 West Laurel Avenue New Castle Pennsylvania 16101CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 658-1216
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Ellwood City8.58 miles away1407 Woodside Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 9 (724) 758-3446
- Total Renal Care, Inc.8.88 miles away807 Lawrence Avenue Ellwood City Pennsylvania 16117Dialysis Stations: 5 (724) 752-1081
- Liberty Dialysis - Chippewa14.09 miles away100 Pappan Business Drive Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (724) 846-5030
- Dci of Beaver Falls / Chippewa14.16 miles away2562 Constitution Boulevard Beaver Falls Pennsylvania 15010Dialysis Stations: 16 (724) 891-5044
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC14.59 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Cdc Home Care (Youngstown), Ltd.14.68 miles away807 Southwestern Run Youngstown Ohio 44514Dialysis Stations: 2 (330) 758-0995