Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Saint Louis, Missouri. This is a very respectable nursing home. We gave it an overall grade of B, which is a quality rating. At the end of the day, this place is a solid choice for quite a few people. You also may want to review this nursing home's category grades below. We discuss long-term care in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Saint Louis senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
On top of being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really fared well in long-term care, where it earned an A. Few nursing homes did better in this category. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is a good sign for resident care and indicates that the place is well-staffed with nurses aids. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 98.25327 percent of its patients, which is far higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
In addition, this facility also excelled in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A. Few nursing homes performed better in this area. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these factors by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of the deficiencies to be an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third highest area we awarded this nursing home in any category came in the area of short-term care, where we gave it a C. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to gauge a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to feature better levels of highly skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. It doesn't look like this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we considered the percentage of residents that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually well below the national average.
This nursing home's worst category is nursing, which is the final category we looked at. For this category, we gave this nursing home a D. Nursing ratings are tied to quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these statistics to be measures of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 8.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.06% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents who have had falls resulting in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.65% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 17.58% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 29.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.17% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 99.13% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 6.03% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 5.08% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 5.08% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 22 other nursing homes
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.89 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.69 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Rai Care Center -Hampton1.99 miles away2635 Hampton Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 646-1717
- South City Dialysis2.22 miles away3740 S Jefferson Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63118Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 664-6687
- Shrewsbury Dialysis2.74 miles away7303 Watson Road Suite 7 Saint Louis Missouri 63119CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 832-2461
- Rtc - Hampton Avenue Dialysis2.82 miles away1425 Hampton Avenue Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 781-4022
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis2.9 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand2.94 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Fmc - Chouteau2.98 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- Chromalloy American Kidney Center3.45 miles away4950 Childrens Place Wohl Clinic Bldg Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 362-7209