Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Saint Louis, Missouri. This is a quality nursing home. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a strong rating. At the end of the day, this place is a solid choice for quite a few people. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home fared even better in our inspections category which is based on the nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded it a grade of A for this category, which is one of our best scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively insignificant. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home performed well in our long-term care category. As a result, we gave it a grade of A for that category, which happens to be one of our highest grades. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 90.521324 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a bit below what we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we looked at was short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a decent grade of B-. Our short-term care grades are important for patients looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually requires higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we weren't able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
The next category we rated was nursing. This facility was given a strong nursing rating in our assessment, with a grade of B-. Even though this isn't quite as elite as several of its other category grades, this is nevertheless a respectable score for this category. The nursing grade includes several factors. The most important variable is the amount of time nurses spent with patients. This nursing home provides only 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a somewhat uninspiring figure which is well below the national average. Lastly, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. While this facility got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With less than five percent of its patients sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this area. This can be an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning a resident at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.89% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term patients who have had a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 3.39% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term patients which sustained UTI's. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 20.47% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 4.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher rates of depression may imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 88.53% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.79% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.68% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of residents who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 1.7 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 14.68 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Garden Skilled Nursing & Rehabilitation Center, 11.55 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.89 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.69 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Rai Care Center -Hampton1.99 miles away2635 Hampton Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 646-1717
- South City Dialysis2.22 miles away3740 S Jefferson Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63118Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 664-6687
- Shrewsbury Dialysis2.74 miles away7303 Watson Road Suite 7 Saint Louis Missouri 63119CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 832-2461
- Rtc - Hampton Avenue Dialysis2.82 miles away1425 Hampton Avenue Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 781-4022
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis2.9 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand2.94 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Fmc - Chouteau2.98 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- Chromalloy American Kidney Center3.45 miles away4950 Childrens Place Wohl Clinic Bldg Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 362-7209