Avalon Garden is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Saint Louis, Missouri. This is a quality nursing home. We awarded this it an overall grade of B+, which is a strong rating. At the end of the day, this place is a solid choice for quite a few people. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of our major categories discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall grade, this nursing home fared even better in our inspections category which is based on the nursing home's recent government inspections. We awarded it a grade of A for this category, which is one of our best scores. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies can be relatively insignificant. While this place had a few minor dings on its inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home performed well in our long-term care category. As a result, we gave it a grade of A for that category, which happens to be one of our highest grades. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 88.42593 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is a bit below what we anticipated but still a respectable figure. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Garden?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. We scrutinized the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of hours the nurses worked with residents, in determining our score in this area. This place provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to our last area, this facility was given a respectable short-term care rating. Although this wasn't quite as elite as several of its other category grades, this is really not a terrible score. Our short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a vast scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. It doesn't appear that this nursing home provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Finally, we looked at the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their residents are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Garden Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Garden, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Garden, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Garden, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This figure tells you the percent of long-term residents who have had a urinary tract infection. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Garden, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay patients who were given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Garden, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term care residents taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Garden, 4.11% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Garden, 88.89% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Garden, 14.76% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and bathing. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Garden, 15.81% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who were able to retain mobility over time. Retaining mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Avalon Garden, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Garden, 15.81 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Garden, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Scores for Saint Louis, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Saint Louis, Missouri has 47 other nursing homes
- St Alexius HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.17 miles away3933 S Broadway Saint Louis Missouri 63118Proprietary(314) 865-7000
- Ssm Health Saint Louis University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.89 miles away3635 Vista Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63110Proprietary(314) 577-8000
- Ssm Health St Mary's Hospital - St LouisAcute Care Hospitals 3.96 miles away6420 Clayton Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63117Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 768-8000
- Mercy Hospital SouthAcute Care Hospitals 8.03 miles away10010 Kennerly Road Saint Louis Missouri 63128Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 525-1000
- Touchette Regional Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 8.69 miles away5900 Bond Avenue East Saint Louis Illinois 62207Voluntary non-profit - Private(618) 332-3060
- St Luke's Des Peres HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.89 miles away2345 Dougherty Ferry Road Saint Louis Missouri 63122Proprietary(314) 966-9100
- Missouri Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.06 miles away3015 N Ballas Rd Saint Louis Missouri 63131Voluntary non-profit - Private(314) 996-5000
- Gateway Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.31 miles away2100 Madison Avenue Granite City Illinois 62040Voluntary non-profit - Other(618) 798-3000
- Rai Care Center -Hampton1.99 miles away2635 Hampton Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 24 (314) 646-1717
- South City Dialysis2.22 miles away3740 S Jefferson Ave Saint Louis Missouri 63118Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 664-6687
- Shrewsbury Dialysis2.74 miles away7303 Watson Road Suite 7 Saint Louis Missouri 63119CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 832-2461
- Rtc - Hampton Avenue Dialysis2.82 miles away1425 Hampton Avenue Saint Louis Missouri 63139Dialysis Stations: 12 (314) 781-4022
- Cardinal Glennon Childrens Hospital Dialysis2.9 miles away1465 S Grand Blvd Renal Dialysis Unit 3rd Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63104Dialysis Stations: 4 (314) 268-6423
- Fmc - Saint Louis Grand2.94 miles away3691 Rutger St. #222 Drummond Hall Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (314) 762-0089
- Fmc - Chouteau2.98 miles away4030 Chouteau Ave, 1st Floor Saint Louis Missouri 63110Dialysis Stations: 20 (314) 535-2915
- Chromalloy American Kidney Center3.45 miles away4950 Childrens Place Wohl Clinic Bldg Saint Louis Missouri 63110CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (314) 362-7209