Avalon Care Center - Honolulu is one of six facilities in Honolulu, Hawaii. This facility appears to be ranked among the better nursing homes we looked at. A score in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. We ranked this facility in the 25 best facilities in Hawaii. The best aspect of this nursing home's strong report card is its short-term care score. short-term care grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Avalon Care Center - Honolulu
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
1930 Kamehameha Iv Rd,
Honolulu HI 96819
90.55% estimated occupancy 1
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2019
Top Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Hawaii Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
On top of earning a great overall grade, this nursing home also received an A+ in short-term care. Short-term care grades are generally used to assess a nursing home's rehabilitation services. In order to have high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the data they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this category is the number of patients that were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 6.8 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
To complement its strong performance in other areas, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B+ for our inspections rating. Nursing grades are primarily tied to the facility's nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning a resident more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Care Center - Honolulu?
Turning to another of this facility's strengths, it also received a very impressive inspection rating. In that category, we awarded this facility a grade of B+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some end up being relatively insignificant. Amazingly, this was one of the few nursing homes in the country that had no deficiencies whatsoever on its inspection report. This is very impressive. A deficiency-free inspection report is what we like to see.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is long-term care, where this facility was given a grade of B. Believe it or not, this was this nursing home's worst category. A facility is doing something right when it's lowest score still rates higher than most facilities. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Care Center - Honolulu Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 5.53% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 1.88% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 2.81% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint could also be skewed for certain facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 10.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 8.69% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who are given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 1.74% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 95.43% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 13.21% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 18.67% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 18.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 11.79 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Care Center - Honolulu, 76.75% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation services.
Scores for Honolulu, HI
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Honolulu, Hawaii has 5 other nursing homes
- Tripler Amc (Ft Shafter)Acute Care - Department of Defense 1.7 miles away1 Jarrett White Rd Tripler Army Medical Center Hawaii 96859Department of Defense(808) 433-2778
- Kuakini Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.02 miles away347 North Kuakini Street Honolulu Hawaii 96817Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 536-2236
- Kaiser Foundation HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.5 miles away3288 Moanalua Rd Honolulu Hawaii 96819Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 432-0000
- The Queens Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.98 miles away1301 Punchbowl St Honolulu Hawaii 96813Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 538-9011
- Straub Clinic and HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.52 miles away888 So King Street Honolulu Hawaii 96813Proprietary(808) 522-4000
- Kapiolani Medical Center for Women & ChildrenChildrens 4.3 miles away1319 Punahou Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Voluntary non-profit - Private(808) 983-6000
- Pali Momi Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.62 miles away98-1079 Moanalua Road Aiea Hawaii 96701Proprietary(808) 486-6000
- Adventist Health CastleAcute Care Hospitals 7.13 miles away640 Ulukahiki St Kailua Hawaii 96734Voluntary non-profit - Church(808) 263-5500
- Siemsen Dialysis Facility1.81 miles away2226 Liliha Street Suite 226 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 74 (808) 585-4660
- Dsi Aloha Dialysis Center1.92 miles away1520 Liliha Street, Suite 101 Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (808) 531-1748
- Dsi Honolulu Dialysis Center2.13 miles away226 N. Kuakini St Honolulu Hawaii 96817CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 54 (808) 545-3933
- Liberty Dialysis-Hawaii Ala Moana3.23 miles away500 Ala Moana Blvd, Suite 7302 Honolulu Hawaii 96813Dialysis Stations: 3 (808) 566-6388
- Liberty Dialysis Hawaii - Hawaii Salt Lake4.04 miles away4380 Lawehana Street, Ste 100 Honolulu Hawaii 96818Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 423-6828
- Us Renal Care Beretania Dialysis4.64 miles away1908 South Beretania Street Honolulu Hawaii 96826Dialysis Stations: 17 (808) 947-2797
- Dsi - Windward Dialysis Center5.37 miles away45-480 Kaneohe Bay Drive #d09 Kaneohe Hawaii 96744CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (808) 235-0885
- Dsi - Pearlridge Dialysis Center5.91 miles away98-1005 Moanalua Road, Suite 420 Island of Oahu Aiea Hawaii 96701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (808) 440-4800