Avalon Care Center-Bountiful is a large hospital-based facility located in Bountiful, Utah. This nursing home is a grade A facility, which is a phenomenal rating. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it ahead of most of the facilities in Bountiful, which has a good selection of facilities. If you look further down this page, you can see this facility's category grades, which look to be equally impressive as its overall grade.
Avalon Care Center-Bountiful
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Government - Hospital district
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Top Nursing Home in Utah Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades are tied to several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that receive favorable grades in this category tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. While this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
To complement its first-rate assessments in other areas, we gave this nursing home a grade of A for its long-term care score. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia, which is much higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Avalon Care Center-Bountiful?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a strong short-term care score. Indeed, this ended up being this nursing home's third best category score. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. In calculating our short-term care scores, we assess a nursing home's levels of skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. This grade is often a useful assessment of a nursing home's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the percentage of patients who returned home from the facility. We found that 5.2 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Moving on to our final area, this nursing home also performed admirably in the nursing category. We awarded it an A- for that area. This rounded out truly elite profile. Nursing grades are tied to nurse staffing levels. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving a patient at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Avalon Care Center-Bountiful Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 6.04% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term stay residents who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a great measure of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are considered to be a measure of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 2.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. More frequent bathing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 13.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications are not medically required. However, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 21.58% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 10.85% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 83% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 14% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 18.79% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 18.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 10.55 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Avalon Care Center-Bountiful, 72.2% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
Scores for Bountiful, UT
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Bountiful, Utah has 3 other nursing homes
- Lakeview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.77 miles away630 East Medical Drive Bountiful Utah 84010Voluntary non-profit - Other(801) 299-2200
- Lds HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.05 miles away8th Avenue and C Street Salt Lake City Utah 84143Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 408-1100
- Salt Lake Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.74 miles away1050 East South Temple Salt Lake City Utah 84102Proprietary(801) 350-4111
- University of Utah Hospitals and ClinicsAcute Care Hospitals 8.79 miles away50 North Medical Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84132Government - State(801) 581-2121
- Primary Childrens HospitalChildrens 8.79 miles away100 North Mario Capecchi Drive Salt Lake City Utah 84113Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 662-6212
- Layton HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12 miles away201 West Layton Parkway Layton Utah 84041Voluntary non-profit - Private(801) 543-6703
- St Mark's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.43 miles away1200 East 3900 South Salt Lake City Utah 84124Proprietary(801) 268-7700
- Davis Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.8 miles away1600 West Antelope Drive Layton Utah 84041Proprietary(801) 807-7001
- Lakeside Dialysis Center0.94 miles away532 S 500 W Bountiful Utah 84010Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 299-3470
- Liberty Dialysis - Woodscross (Fmc)1.18 miles away572 W 750 S Bountiful Utah 84010Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 292-2658
- West Bountiful Dialysis (Dva)1.28 miles away724 W 500 S Ste 300 Woods Cross Utah 84087Dialysis Stations: 12 (801) 296-9091
- Primary Children's Dialysis Center8.82 miles away81 North Mario Capecchi Dr Salt Lake City Utah 84113Dialysis Stations: 6 (801) 662-7600
- Kolff Dialysis Center/Univ. Of Utah9.81 miles away423 Wakara Way Suite 200 Salt Lake City Utah 84108Dialysis Stations: 17 (801) 581-3981
- Utah Dialysis Lab10.2 miles away1000 S Main St Ste 105 Salt Lake City Utah 84101Dialysis Stations: 19 (801) 408-1400
- Anthem Dialysis, LLC11.14 miles away520 North Kays Drive Suite 1 Kaysville Utah 84037Dialysis Stations: 1 (385) 420-7500
- Farmington Bay Dialysis Center13.51 miles away942 S Main St Layton Utah 84041Dialysis Stations: 16 (801) 593-9111