Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights is a facility located in Berkeley Heights, New Jersey, which has a population of 12,246 people. This is a grade A facility, which is a dominant grade. You simply can't do much better than this facility. Headlining this nursing home's stellar profile is its long-term care rating, which we will address in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Berkeley Heights senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Berkeley Heights, New Jersey Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
We also found that this facility excelled in our long-term care rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Facilities that receive this type of score in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are well cared for. Once we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we then analyzed the nursing home's vaccination record. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is very impressive. Pneumonia is often a life threatening ailment for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave this to chance. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A in this category. Inspection scores are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent government inspections. Places that excel in this area have few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This nursing home received 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors didn't deem any of these deficiencies to pose an immediate threat to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning the page to our next area, we awarded this facility a grade of A for its short-term care grade. This is a superb grade. Our short-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Turning to our final category, this facility was given an excellent nursing score. We awarded it a grade of A- in this category, giving this facility straight A's. In computing our nursing scores, we analyze both staffing levels and the training levels of those nurses. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also looked at certain nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. These include minimizing residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We look at these areas as predictive indicators of the quality of nursing care offered, since better care tends to reduce these problems.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 7.38% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are routinely linked to lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 12.73% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for a variety of medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Unfortunately, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 5.47% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 0.8% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could imply a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 19.6% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of the decline of a patient's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 16.38% of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents who were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 16.38% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 10.31% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Berkeley Heights, 73.06% of Resident
This indicates the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's generally correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.89 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Morristown Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.52 miles away100 Madison Ave Morristown New Jersey 07960Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 971-5000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 8.92 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.17 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 9.71 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 11.47 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.67 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Newark Beth Israel Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.83 miles away201 Lyons Ave Newark New Jersey 07112Voluntary non-profit - Private(973) 926-7850
- Dva Summit Dialysis Ctr4.87 miles away1139 Spruce Drive Mountainside New Jersey 07092CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (908) 232-7800
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center5.42 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Fmc So Plainfield7.09 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Davita Millburn Dialysis7.34 miles away25 East Willow Street Ste 2 Millburn New Jersey 07041CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 379-7309
- Davita Renal Ctr Morristown7.6 miles away100 Madison Avenue 4th Floor Morristown New Jersey 07960CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 11 (973) 538-8201
- Fmc East Morris7.6 miles away55 Madison Avenue Ste 100 Morristown New Jersey 07960Dialysis Stations: 19 (973) 993-8495
- Trinitas Cranford Dialysis7.65 miles away205 Birchwood Ave Cranford New Jersey 07016Dialysis Stations: 9 (908) 402-2000
- Fkc Acc Livingston St Barnabas So Orange Ave7.73 miles awayAcc Livingston Hemodialysis 200 So Orange Avenue Livingston New Jersey 07039CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (973) 322-7150