Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor is an average-sized nursing home in Baltimore, Maryland. It looks like this facility is a well below average facility. A grade in this range suggests we found a few red flags. We rated this as one of the five worst rated facilities in Baltimore. With more than 20 other nursing homes in the city, you should be able to do better. If you aren't deterred by this place's report card, feel free to continue reading to find out about its category grades. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Baltimore senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we didn't give this facility a good overall score, we actually gave it a strong grade in the area of inspections, where it earned a grade of B+. Perhaps the most significant factor we look at in calculating our inspection grades is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid facilities that have a long list of deficiencies. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded its second highest category score in the area of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in this category, which is a reasonably acceptable grade. Long-term care grades focus on a facility's personal care rather than the skilled nursing or medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. On top of looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this facility administered the vaccine to just 90.789474 percent of its residents. Fortunately, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor?
We awarded this facility a respectable grade in the area of nursing as well, with a grade of C. When computing our nursing grades, we analyze both staffing levels and the skill levels of those nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this facility actually excelled in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. Many consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care. In some cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the quantity of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we graded is short-term care. This nursing home received an abysmal grade of F in that category. Short-term care ratings are based in part on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast range of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. As you might expect, we discovered that this nursing home offers substantially less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than the average nursing home. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 4.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, about half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 10.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 2.06% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with facilities with worst hygiene practices. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 12.87% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications are used to treat a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 13.59% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 11.04% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 90.84% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 20.64% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 24.5% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 24.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 9.63 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Lake Healthcare at Alice Manor, 73.32% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Baltimore, MD
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Baltimore, Maryland has 9 other nursing homes
- Sinai Hospital of BaltimoreAcute Care Hospitals 1.61 miles away2401 West Belvedere Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21215Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 601-5131
- Medstar Union Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.86 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 554-2227
- University of Md Medical Center Midtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 2.74 miles away827 Linden Avenue Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Other(410) 225-8996
- Bon Secours HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.17 miles away2000 W Baltimore Street Baltimore Maryland 21223Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 362-3000
- Mercy Medical Center IncAcute Care Hospitals 3.4 miles away301 Saint Paul Place Baltimore Maryland 21202Voluntary non-profit - Church(410) 332-9237
- University of Maryland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.47 miles away22 South Greene Street Baltimore Maryland 21201Voluntary non-profit - Private(410) 328-8667
- Medstar Good Samaritan HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.71 miles away5601 Loch Raven Boulevard Baltimore Maryland 21239Voluntary non-profit - Other(443) 444-3902
- Kennedy Krieger InstituteChildrens 3.76 miles away707 North Broadway Baltimore Maryland 21205Voluntary non-profit - Private(443) 923-9301
- Idf - Chestnut Square Dialysis Ctr1.15 miles away3303 Chestnut Ave Baltimore Maryland 21211Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 366-5400
- Fmc - Cross Keys1.27 miles away2 Hamill Rd Suite 200 Quadrangle Building East Baltimore Maryland 21210Dialysis Stations: 17 (410) 323-4568
- Us Renal Care - North Baltimore1.87 miles away2700 North Charles St Baltimore Maryland 21218Dialysis Stations: 11 (410) 243-4193
- Davita Union Memorial Dialysis1.87 miles away201 East University Parkway Baltimore Maryland 21218Dialysis Stations: 27 (410) 554-4535
- Bma - Baltimore2.25 miles away2801 Greenmount Avenue Suite 2833 Baltimore Maryland 21218CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (410) 235-5659
- Northwest Dialysis Center2.52 miles away2245 Rolling Run Dr Ste 1 Windsor Mill Maryland 21244CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (410) 265-0158
- Davita Loch Raven Dialysis2.64 miles away5315 York Rd Baltimore Maryland 21212Dialysis Stations: 16 (410) 323-8790
- Downtown Dialysis Center2.76 miles away821 N Eutaw St Ste 401 Baltimore Maryland 21201CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (410) 383-3450