Autumn Hills Health Care Center is an average-sized facility in Glendale, California. We awarded this nursing home an overall rating of B, which is an above average score. In fact, this is actually one of the five highest rated nursing homes in the city. Even in a city with 14 other nursing homes, this facility turns out to be a respectable option. The best part of this nursing home's strong profile is its inspection grade. Inspection grades are discussed in the next paragraph
Autumn Hills Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a quality overall grade, this nursing home also received strong inspections in recent years. We awarded them a favorable score in that category, with a B+. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in determining these inspection grades. One key factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these end up being quite insignificant. While this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G through L. This tells you that the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that category, we awarded this facility an B+. There are several criteria within this category. Many of these criteria reflect the quantity of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Hills Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next best area is short-term care. We awarded it a grade of B- in this area. This is essentially a middle of the pack grade in this area. Short-term care grades are often used to gauge a facility's rehabilitation services To offer highly rated rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last metric we considered in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Our final category is long-term care, where we awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in this category. With our long-term care grade, we focus more on the amount of care provided by a facility, as well as a few qualitative measures. After assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were pleased to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Hills Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric indicates the percentage of long-term care residents who are suffering from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Note that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care residents who were administered antipsychotic medication. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior in scenarios where such drugs are not medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes need to rely more on these drugs due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 4.33% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression. High rates of depression could indicate a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing. Some experts argue that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents who retained mobility levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is vital to patients health.
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Hills Health Care Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Glendale, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Glendale, California has 13 other nursing homes
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.83 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.93 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 4.6 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.74 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.81 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Southern California Hospital at HollywoodAcute Care Hospitals 6.02 miles away6245 De Longpre Ave Los Angeles California 90028Proprietary(323) 462-2271
- Davita-North Glendale0.77 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Fmc-West Glendale1.32 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis1.43 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis1.77 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis1.81 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Childrens Hospital of Los Angeles3.51 miles awayDivision of Nephrology (Dialysis) 4650 Sunset Blvd., Box 40 Los Angeles California 90027Dialysis Stations: 10 (323) 361-4788
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital Medical Ctr.- Sunset3.51 miles awayDialysis Unit 4700 Sunset Blvd., 2nd Floor Los Angeles California 90027CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (323) 783-5580
- Fmc-Burbank4.6 miles away2031 Alameda Avenue, Suite 202 Burbank California 91506CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (818) 845-3830