Autumn Aegis Nursing Home is an average-sized nursing home located in Lorain, Ohio. This is a very respectable facility, with an overall grade of B. As a matter of fact, this is better than many of the nursing homes in Lorain. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of our major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Autumn Aegis Nursing Home
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Independent Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
On top of performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A+. Inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this category typically have very few severe deficiencies. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate risk to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it was given a favorable long-term care score. In fact, long-term care turned out to be its second best category score. In that area, we gave this nursing home a score of A-. Facilities that do well in this category tend to provide patients with more supervision and stay on top of routine medical care. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents. Vaccines are critical to keeping residents healthy. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Autumn Aegis Nursing Home?
Short-term Care Quality
The third category we looked at was short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of C in this area. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients that ultimately returned home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was actually quite a bit below the national average.
Our final area is nursing, where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C in that category. Nursing ratings are based in large part on quantity of nursing care available. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, our nursing ratings also factor in quality-based assessments, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a facility has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls could be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Autumn Aegis Nursing Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injury are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Closer supervision can minimize the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This gauges the percentage of long-term residents who have suffered from urinary tract infections. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This gauges the percent of long-term residents who are given antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents in scenarios where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of patients suffering from cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 20.26% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay residents exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 90.12% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and taking a bath. Some argue that this is a reasonable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay patients that retained mobility levels. Some experts believe that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Autumn Aegis Nursing Home, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Lorain, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of D
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of D
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Lorain, Ohio has 3 other nursing homes
- Mercy Health-Lorain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away3700 Kolbe Road Lorain Ohio 44053Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 960-4000
- Mercy Health-Allen HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 10.01 miles away200 West Lorain Street Oberlin Ohio 44074Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 775-1211
- Uh St John Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.46 miles away29000 Center Ridge Road Westlake Ohio 44145Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 835-8000
- Southwest General Health CenterAcute Care Hospitals 18.49 miles away18697 Bagley Road Cleveland Ohio 44130Voluntary non-profit - Private(440) 816-6701
- Fairview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.66 miles away18101 Lorain Avenue Cleveland Ohio 44111Voluntary non-profit - Private(216) 476-7000
- Davita - Amherst Dialysis1.44 miles away3200 Cooper Foster Park Rd. W. Lorain Ohio 44053Dialysis Stations: 19 (440) 989-1410
- Fmc - Amherst Dialysis2.5 miles away1168 Cleveland Avenue Amherst Ohio 44001CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 985-2280
- Fmc - Dialysis Specialists of Northeast Ohio5.69 miles away1070 Abbe Road North Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 21 (440) 365-8165
- Fmc - Elyria Renal Care Group5.97 miles away5316 Hoag Drive H Mcdonald Dialysis Ctr Elyria Ohio 44035Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 934-5700
- Davita - Center Ridge Dialysis7.48 miles away38630 Center Ridge Road North Ridgeville Ohio 44039Dialysis Stations: 14 (440) 327-2070
- Fmc - Heritage Dialysis7.49 miles away1160 East Broad St. Elyria Ohio 44035CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (440) 365-1811
- Fmc - Westlake Dialysis Center14.35 miles away26024 Detroit Road Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 23 (440) 835-1139
- Center for Dialysis Care Westside Home Care LLC14.92 miles away24651 Center Ridge Rd Suite 450 Westlake Ohio 44145Dialysis Stations: 10 (440) 899-2808