Austinwoods Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Youngstown, Ohio. With an overall grade of B+, this facility should work for most prospective residents. Despite Youngstown having 15 other nursing homes available, this one stands out as a great option. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile was its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Austinwoods Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Youngstown senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility fared well in our long-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A for that area, which is one of our better scores. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home administered the vaccine to 98.7013 percent of its patients. Vaccines are vital to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Austinwoods Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next most favorable area is short-term care. We gave it a B- in this category. This is basically a middle of the pack score in this area. Our short-term care ratings are critical for residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically requires additional highly-skilled nursing services. This means a vast range of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We were not able to track down information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 5.5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was actually well below average.
The final area we graded was nursing. In that area, we awarded this facility an acceptable grade of C. This is this facility's worst area. Our nursing rating is primarily based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. It scored well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these areas to be reliable measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the quantity of hours of care provided.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Austinwoods Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 5.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 3.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 0.44% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term stay residents which suffered from a UTI. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it can be difficult to compare different nursing homes due to nursing homes having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 11.74% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used to treat several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 18.36% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 9.45% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 97.01% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 11.05% of Patients
This is the percent of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 9.91% of Residents
This metric tracks the percent of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 9.91% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 14% of Patients
This metric tracks the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 88.34% of Resident
Measures the percentage of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Youngstown, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Youngstown, Ohio has 14 other nursing homes
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.58 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.61 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Joseph Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.38 miles away667 Eastland Ave Se Warren Ohio 44481Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 841-4016
- Trumbull Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away1350 East Market Street Warren Ohio 44482Proprietary(330) 841-9820
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.59 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 17.28 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Fresenius Kidney Care Cornersburg1.99 miles away3265 Canfield Rd, Unit C Youngstown Ohio 44511Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 792-6341
- Fmc- Austintown2.1 miles away139 Javit Court Youngstown Ohio 44515CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 799-1150
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.3.58 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis4.83 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Fmc - Youngstown5.63 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC6.58 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Fmc - North Lima7.09 miles away9174 Market Street North Lima Ohio 44452Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 729-9061
- Youngstown - Warren Home Dialysis7.32 miles away4531 Belmont Ave. Youngstown Ohio 44505Dialysis Stations: 3 (330) 759-3807