Austinwoods Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Youngstown, Ohio. With an overall grade of B+, this facility should work for most prospective residents. Despite Youngstown having 22 other nursing homes available, this one stands out as a great option. The best part of this nursing home's impressive profile was its inspection score. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Austinwoods Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
4780 Kirk Rd,
Youngstown OH 44515
81.71% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for our inspections rating. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing these inspection ratings. One critical factor is deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of these deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an A+ for its long-term care grade. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.29787 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Austinwoods Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next best category turned out to be short-term care. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. In crafting these short-term care ratings, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The goal is to create a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. It doesn't look like this facility provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from the facility. We found that just 5.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
The final category we looked at was this facility's weakest area. Nevertheless, even in its worst category we still awarded it a decent grade of C for nursing. Nursing ratings are mostly tied to a facility's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a low total compared with most facilities. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics. While this nursing home got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it excelled in a few of these quality measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it fared very well in this subcategory. This is often a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of turning patients more frequently.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Austinwoods Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint indicates the percent of long-term residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some situations, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 20.26% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 90.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate the erosion of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who retained mobility levels. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is vital to patients physical and mental well-being.
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is critical to maintaining the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 12 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Austinwoods Nursing Center, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Youngstown, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Youngstown, Ohio has 21 other nursing homes
- Mh St Elizabeth Youngstown HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.58 miles away1044 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44501Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 480-3962
- Mh St Elizabeth Boardman HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.61 miles away8401 Market Street Youngstown Ohio 44512Voluntary non-profit - Church(330) 729-2929
- Mh St Joseph Warren HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.38 miles away667 Eastland Ave Se Warren Ohio 44481Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 841-4016
- Trumbull Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.95 miles away1350 East Market Street Warren Ohio 44482Proprietary(330) 841-9820
- Salem Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.59 miles away1995 East State Street Salem Ohio 44460Voluntary non-profit - Private(330) 332-1551
- Sharon Regional Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 17.28 miles away740 East State Street Sharon Pennsylvania 16146Proprietary(724) 983-3800
- Fresenius Kidney Care Cornersburg1.99 miles away3265 Canfield Rd, Unit C Youngstown Ohio 44511Dialysis Stations: 16 (330) 792-6341
- Fmc- Austintown2.1 miles away139 Javit Court Youngstown Ohio 44515CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 799-1150
- Arc/Cdc, Ltd.3.58 miles away3695 Stutz Drive Canfield Ohio 44406Dialysis Stations: 20 (330) 702-3040
- Fmc - Boardman Dialysis4.83 miles away257 Boardman-Canfield Rd. Youngstown Ohio 44512CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (330) 629-8856
- Fmc - Youngstown5.63 miles away1340 Belmont Avenue Youngstown Ohio 44504CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 746-2860
- Boardman Dialysis Center, LLC6.58 miles away7153 Tiffany Blvd. Youngstown Ohio 44514CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (330) 729-1355
- Fmc - North Lima7.09 miles away9174 Market Street North Lima Ohio 44452Dialysis Stations: 9 (330) 729-9061
- Youngstown - Warren Home Dialysis7.32 miles away4531 Belmont Ave. Youngstown Ohio 44505Dialysis Stations: 3 (330) 759-3807