Austin Oasis is a very-large facility in Chicago, Illinois. This facility was given an overall score of F. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Austin Oasis has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's scores were horrible across the board. We especially want to point out its inspection grade where it received an F. This isn't a good sign for its inspection reports. For nursing homes that received this poor of an inspection score, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home had 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received an F for its short-term care grade. Short-term care scores are important for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Based on its poor score in this category, we were not shocked to discover this facility provided significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Austin Oasis?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility ended up receiving a a very poor grade in our long-term care category. It received an F in this area. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally are a bad sign for the quantity and quality of care provided by nurses and aids. After assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. We were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated 43.206104 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be several points below average. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. This was its best score in this category.
The last category we graded was nursing. Unfortunately, we gave it an F for this area, which is a very poor score. The nursing rating includes many subcategories, many of which are tied to nursing hours. This facility provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing ratings. This place fared well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Austin Oasis Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Austin Oasis, 8.09% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who suffered from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Austin Oasis, 1.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint tells you the percentage of long-term residents who suffered falls resulting in major injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Austin Oasis, 0.32% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric can be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Austin Oasis, 25.13% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are sometimes used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Austin Oasis, 17.08% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Austin Oasis, 97.56% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients showing signs of depression. Higher rates of depression could indicate a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Austin Oasis, 42.41% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Austin Oasis, 12.62% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many in the industry believe that this is a reliable measure of a resident's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Austin Oasis, 9.26% of Residents
This is the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Austin Oasis, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is key to maintaining the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Austin Oasis, 9.26% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Austin Oasis, 6.82% of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Loretto HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away645 South Central Ave Chicago Illinois 60644Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 626-4300
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- Macneal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away3249 South Oak Park Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402Proprietary(708) 783-9100
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Saint Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.02 miles away2875 West 19th Street Chicago Illinois 60623Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 521-1710
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Fmc - Oak Park Dialysis Unit1.18 miles away733 West Madison Street Oak Park Illinois 60302Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 386-8757
- Fmc - West Suburban Dialysis Center1.42 miles away518 N Austin Suite 5000 Oak Park Illinois 60302CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (708) 386-5550
- Maple Avenue Kidney Center1.59 miles away610 S Maple Avenue, Suite 4100 Oak Park Illinois 60304Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 660-4100
- Fmc - River Forest Dialysis1.81 miles away103 Forest Avenue River Forest Illinois 60305CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 488-9258
- Fmc - Austin Community Kidney Center2.27 miles away4800 W Chicago Ave., 2nd Floor Chicago Illinois 60651Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 287-0680
- Fmc - Berwyn2.42 miles away2601 S Harlem Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (708) 484-7300
- Fmc - Cicero2.69 miles away3000 S Cicero Ave Cicero Illinois 60804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (708) 652-7089
- Davita - Lawndale Dialysis2.99 miles away3934 West 24th St Chicago Illinois 60623CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 277-0598