Austin Oasis is a very-large facility in Chicago, Illinois. This facility was given an overall score of F. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
901 South Austin,
Chicago IL 60644
78.61% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Austin Oasis has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's scores were horrible across the board. We especially want to point out its inspection grade where it received an F. This isn't a good sign for its inspection reports. For nursing homes that received this poor of an inspection score, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home had 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
We also wanted to draw your attention to the fact that this facility received an F for its short-term care grade. Short-term care scores are important for prospective residents looking for rehabilitation. Rehabilitation usually mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a vast spectrum of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other forms of therapy. Based on its poor score in this category, we were not shocked to discover this facility provided significantly fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most nursing homes. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Austin Oasis?
This facility ended up receiving rock bottom score in our nursing category. It received an F in this category. We scrutinized the levels of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the number of hours those nurses worked with residents, in calculating our score in this category. This facility provided only 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This place fared well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we graded is long-term care. It received an F for this area, which is a very poor grade. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it typically means the facility didn't perform well in our measures relating to patient care. After we finished assessing the volume of nursing care, we then analyzed the facility's vaccination records. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated just 51.9685 percent of its patients for pneumonia. To our surprise, this place was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Austin Oasis Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Austin Oasis, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Austin Oasis, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Austin Oasis, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from UTI's. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Austin Oasis, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Austin Oasis, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Austin Oasis, 30.45% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Austin Oasis, 87.4% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Austin Oasis, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Austin Oasis, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Austin Oasis, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Austin Oasis, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Austin Oasis, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Austin Oasis, 71.65% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Loretto HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away645 South Central Ave Chicago Illinois 60644Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 626-4300
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- Macneal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away3249 South Oak Park Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402Proprietary(708) 783-9100
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Saint Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.02 miles away2875 West 19th Street Chicago Illinois 60623Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 521-1710
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Fmc - Oak Park Dialysis Unit1.18 miles away733 West Madison Street Oak Park Illinois 60302Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 386-8757
- Fmc - West Suburban Dialysis Center1.42 miles away518 N Austin Suite 5000 Oak Park Illinois 60302CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (708) 386-5550
- Maple Avenue Kidney Center1.59 miles away610 S Maple Avenue, Suite 4100 Oak Park Illinois 60304Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 660-4100
- Fmc - River Forest Dialysis1.81 miles away103 Forest Avenue River Forest Illinois 60305CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 488-9258
- Fmc - Austin Community Kidney Center2.27 miles away4800 W Chicago Ave., 2nd Floor Chicago Illinois 60651Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 287-0680
- Fmc - Berwyn2.42 miles away2601 S Harlem Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (708) 484-7300
- Fmc - Cicero2.69 miles away3000 S Cicero Ave Cicero Illinois 60804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (708) 652-7089
- Davita - Lawndale Dialysis2.99 miles away3934 West 24th St Chicago Illinois 60623CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 277-0598