Austin Oasis is a very-large facility in Chicago, Illinois. This facility was given an overall score of F. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. We wouldn't blame you if you're ready to stop reading and find another facility. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, we will discuss inspections in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Austin Oasis has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home's scores were horrible across the board. We especially want to point out its inspection grade where it received an F. This isn't a good sign for its inspection reports. For nursing homes that received this poor of an inspection score, we recommend scrutinizing any severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home had 2 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only favorable thing we found is that none of its deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they caused a risk to patient health or safety. Lastly, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
We also wanted to point out that this nursing home received an F for its nursing grade. We weighed the licensure of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of time the nurses were with residents, in computing our rating in this area. This facility averaged just 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient each day. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing scores. This place performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Does this page answer your questions about Austin Oasis?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed was long-term care. This facility's received an unfortunate long-term care score where it was given an F. Facilities that receive this type of grade in this category likely don't provide the kind of consistent around the clock care that some other nursing homes offer. Once we assessed the quantity of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were a bit alarmed this nursing home vaccinated just 56.98052 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The final category we looked at was short-term care. Sadly, it received an F in this area, which is a poor score. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Based on its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to learn that this facility was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the measures we looked at. The final item we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 3.2 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these poor metrics was damning for this facility's short-term care grade.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Austin Oasis Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Austin Oasis, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Austin Oasis, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are often caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Austin Oasis, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents which suffered from UTI's. Although more infections may reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Austin Oasis, 18.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic medications are administered to patients for many conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Austin Oasis, 19.11% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally used to treat residents experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Austin Oasis, 29.8% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Austin Oasis, 87.49% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Austin Oasis, 14.23% Percentage of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term care patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and eating. Some experts believe that this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Austin Oasis, 19.34% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Austin Oasis, 1.51 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Minimizing hospitalizations is important to the physical well-being of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Austin Oasis, 19.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Austin Oasis, 11.45 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Austin Oasis, 71.39% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Loretto HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.52 miles away645 South Central Ave Chicago Illinois 60644Voluntary non-profit - Other(773) 626-4300
- West Suburban Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.51 miles away3 Erie Court Oak Park Illinois 60302Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 383-6200
- Rush Oak Park HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.64 miles away520 S Maple Ave Oak Park Illinois 60304Voluntary non-profit - Church(708) 383-9300
- Macneal HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 2.81 miles away3249 South Oak Park Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402Proprietary(708) 783-9100
- Loyola University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.13 miles away2160 S 1st Avenue Maywood Illinois 60153Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 216-9000
- Saint Anthony HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.02 miles away2875 West 19th Street Chicago Illinois 60623Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 521-1710
- Westlake HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.11 miles away1225 Lake St Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Other(708) 938-4000
- Loyola Gottlieb Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.32 miles away701 West North Ave Melrose Park Illinois 60160Voluntary non-profit - Private(708) 681-3200
- Fmc - Oak Park Dialysis Unit1.18 miles away733 West Madison Street Oak Park Illinois 60302Dialysis Stations: 12 (708) 386-8757
- Fmc - West Suburban Dialysis Center1.42 miles away518 N Austin Suite 5000 Oak Park Illinois 60302CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 46 (708) 386-5550
- Maple Avenue Kidney Center1.59 miles away610 S Maple Avenue, Suite 4100 Oak Park Illinois 60304Dialysis Stations: 18 (708) 660-4100
- Fmc - River Forest Dialysis1.81 miles away103 Forest Avenue River Forest Illinois 60305CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (708) 488-9258
- Fmc - Austin Community Kidney Center2.27 miles away4800 W Chicago Ave., 2nd Floor Chicago Illinois 60651Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 287-0680
- Fmc - Berwyn2.42 miles away2601 S Harlem Avenue Berwyn Illinois 60402CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (708) 484-7300
- Fmc - Cicero2.69 miles away3000 S Cicero Ave Cicero Illinois 60804CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (708) 652-7089
- Davita - Lawndale Dialysis2.99 miles away3934 West 24th St Chicago Illinois 60623CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 277-0598