Aurora Senior Living of Derry is in Derry, New Hampshire, a city with a total of 33,269 people. This is a lower end nursing home, with an overall grade of D. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Derry. The city has just one other nursing home. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong inspection score. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category grades
Aurora Senior Living of Derry
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Please note our records indicate that Aurora Senior Living of Derry has changed ownership recently and while our data on this page is up-to-date there is a chance that the quality of this facility may change under new management.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not complementary of this place's overall performance, it actually received an impressive inspection report this year with few dings from the applicable government inspectors. As a result, it received one of our better grades in that category with a grade of B+. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in computing our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is typically best to avoid places that have a long list of deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be severe. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies an imminent threat to patient health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies aren't necessarily the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
The next highest area we gave this nursing home in any area came in the category of long-term care, where we awarded it a grade of C. For long-term care residents, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours is vaccinations. Candidly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to only 84.86842 percent of its residents. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Aurora Senior Living of Derry?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only received a grade of D for its short-term care rating, which is not a score to write home about. Short-term care scores are based in part on the facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. With its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this facility was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who ultimately were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 4.9 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
The last area we looked at was nursing, which was a low point for this facility. We awarded this facility a grade of D for the area of nursing. Nursing ratings are based largely on nurse staffing levels. This place averaged a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident on a daily basis. This is an alarmingly low total. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these data points to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aurora Senior Living of Derry Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 6.17% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 5.18% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls leading to injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 3.06% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are often linked to a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 16.95% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 16.72% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 5.54% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 95.74% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term residents that were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 19.68% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 24.67% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 1.18 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is key to the physical well-being of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 24.67 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 11.85 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aurora Senior Living of Derry, 77.92% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Parkland Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.58 miles away1 Parkland Drive Derry New Hampshire 03038Proprietary(603) 421-2100
- Elliot HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away1 Elliot Way Manchester New Hampshire 03103Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 669-5300
- Catholic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.48 miles away100 Mcgregor Street Manchester New Hampshire 03102Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 668-3545
- Southern Nh Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.61 miles away8 Prospect Street Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 577-2000
- St Joseph HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.51 miles away172 Kinsley St Nashua New Hampshire 03060Voluntary non-profit - Other(603) 882-3000
- Holy Family HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.75 miles away70 East Street Methuen Massachusetts 01844Proprietary(978) 687-0156
- Lowell General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.69 miles away295 Varnum Avenue Lowell Massachusetts 01854Voluntary non-profit - Private(978) 937-6000
- Exeter Hospital IncAcute Care Hospitals 19.68 miles away5 Alumni Drive Exeter New Hampshire 03833Voluntary non-profit - Private(603) 778-7311
- Fresenius Medical Care Londonderry5 miles away1f Common Drive Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 434-4517
- Davita Derry Dialysis5 miles away1 Action Blvd suite2 Londonderry New Hampshire 03053Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 421-9724
- Versailles Dialysis LLC8.94 miles away18 Pelham Road Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 870-9487
- Bio-Medical Applications of New Hampshire Inc9.38 miles away19 Keewadin Drive Suite 1 Salem New Hampshire 03079Dialysis Stations: 1 (603) 870-0969
- Davita Manchester Dialysis9.84 miles away903 Hanover Street Manchester New Hampshire 03104Dialysis Stations: 10 (603) 621-4903
- Bedford Dialysis Davita10.56 miles away15 Constitution Dr, Suite 1c Bedford New Hampshire 03110Dialysis Stations: 13 (603) 471-1904
- Manchester Kidney Center10.75 miles away1750 Elm Street Suite 100 Manchester New Hampshire 03103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (603) 647-4042
- Davita Nashua Dialysis12.5 miles away38 Tyler Street Nashua New Hampshire 03061CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (603) 598-1665