Hastings Senior Health & Living is a senior living facility located in Hastings, Minnesota, which has 29,488 people. Remarkably, we ranked this as one of the top 25 nursing homes in the country. With over 15,000 nursing homes in the country, this is an incredibly impressive achievement. We could not find many negative things to say about this place. Its scores are just impeccable. As you can see below, this place performed equally well in our category ratings. We give this place two thumbs up!
Hastings Senior Health & Living
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Best Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Hastings, Minnesota Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Hastings, Minnesota Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Minnesota Awards 2021
Best Nursing Home in Hastings, Minnesota Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is it received an A+ inspection grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this area. Our inspection grades account for a host of factors found on a facility's inspection report. One key criteria we look at is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area typically have few of these severe deficiencies. This nursing home was assessed 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This tells you that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given high marks in the area of short-term care. For this reason, it received one of our highest scores in that area with a grade of A+. Our short-term care grades are based in part on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide scope of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, not to mention other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Hastings Senior Health & Living ?
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was long-term care. This nursing home also received an A+ long-term care grade, rendering it one of the few nursing homes to be given several A+ category grades. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than the majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
In our final category, this nursing home also received an A+ for its nursing rating, completing an amazing profile of A+'s in each of our categories. Our nursing rating looks at the nursing home's nurse staffing levels. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the quantity of hours spent with residents. This facility provided 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place Minnesota in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of turning a patient even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Hastings Senior Health & Living Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 6.69% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 4.21% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percent of long-term stay residents which sustained falls which caused severe injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 2.83% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 16.64% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 12.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 4.58% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients showing depressive symptoms. Many argue that this is a reliable measure of resident quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 93.31% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 13.09% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 18.07% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 18.07 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 12.51 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Hastings Senior Health & Living , 76.76% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term care patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue this is a reliable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
- Regina HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.21 miles away1175 Nininger Road Hastings Minnesota 55033Voluntary non-profit - Church(651) 480-4100
- River Falls Area HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 15.78 miles away1629 E Division St River Falls Wisconsin 54022Voluntary non-profit - Private(715) 307-6000
- Mayo Clinic Health System-Cannon FallsCritical Access Hospitals 17 miles away32021 County 24 Boulevard Cannon Falls Minnesota 55009Voluntary non-profit - Private(507) 263-6000
- Hudson Hospital & ClinicCritical Access Hospitals 17.57 miles away405 Stageline Road Hudson Wisconsin 54016Voluntary non-profit - Private(715) 531-6000
- Mayo Clinic Health System - Red WingAcute Care Hospitals 18.45 miles away701 Hewitt Boulevard, PO Box 95 Red Wing Minnesota 55066Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 267-5000
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 18.87 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Regions HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.25 miles away640 Jackson Street Saint Paul Minnesota 55101Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 254-1616
- Fresenius Medical Care - Two Rivers Dialysis0.82 miles away1355 S Frontage Rd Ste 380 Hastings Minnesota 55033Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 437-0256
- Historical Hastings Dialysis of Davita1.41 miles away1828 Market Blvd Hastings Minnesota 55033Dialysis Stations: 8 (651) 438-2155
- Davita - Cottage Grove8.47 miles away8800 East Point Douglas Dr Cottage Grove Minnesota 55016Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 459-5655
- Woodbury Dialysis of Davita13.43 miles away1850 Weir Dr #3 Saint Paul Minnesota 55125Dialysis Stations: 12 (651) 730-4522
- Bio-Medical Applications of Minnesota, Inc.14.19 miles away7433 Currell Blvd Saint Paul Minnesota 55125Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 714-9948
- East Valley Dialysis of Davita15.26 miles away14050 Pilot Knob Rd Ste 100 Saint Paul Minnesota 55124CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 423-4062
- Fmc - West St Paul Dialysis15.7 miles away1590 S Robert St Ste 130 Saint Paul Minnesota 55118Dialysis Stations: 13 (651) 457-2232
- West St Paul Dialysis of Davita15.84 miles away1555 Livingston Ave Saint Paul Minnesota 55118CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (651) 455-2995