Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center is a facility located in Saint Paul, Minnesota which has 753,116 people. With an overall rating of A-, this is without a doubt an impressive facility. Even in a city of 14 nursing homes, this one jumped off the page as a first-rate option. As you will see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category ratings. It would be hard to find any major flaws in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Adult Day Care
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Saint Paul senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Bariatric Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Catheter Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ short-term care grade. Our short-term care grade is often used to assess a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer highly scored rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer better levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 6.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, this turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A. Our nursing score is mostly based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a facility has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was awarded a dominant long-term care grade. Indeed, this ended up being this nursing home's third strongest category grade. In that area, this facility received a score of A-. Facilities that receive this kind of grade in this category tend to provide consistent 24/7 care to ensure patients are well cared for. One of the statistics we considered on top of nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. This nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccine to 96.22641 percent of its residents. Vaccination is a reliable method to minimize unnecessary hospitalizations for the senior population. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Finally, we found that this nursing home has earned favorable government inspections in recent years. In fact, we awarded it a grade of B in this area. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in calculating our inspection ratings. One key factor is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is usually more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite minor. This place received 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies to pose an immediate risk to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 6.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients that suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers . We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 3.86% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that have had a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely associated with lower levels of patient supervision. Closer supervision can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 2.89% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 15.26% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are administered to residents for a variety of conditions, such as cognitive disorders. Tragically, in some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 11.96% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 4.16% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients exhibiting depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 94.15% of Patients
This is the percent of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 13.41% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of needing for assistance with ADL's could indicate the deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 15.86% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients who remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 1.28 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of nursing home patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 15.86 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 14.49 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Apple Valley Village Healthcare Center, 77.42% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
Scores for Saint Paul, MN
- Overall Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of A-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Saint Paul, Minnesota has 13 other nursing homes
- Fairview Ridges HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away201 East Nicollet Boulevard Burnsville Minnesota 55337Voluntary non-profit - Church(952) 892-2101
- Fairview Southdale HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 11.94 miles away6401 France Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55435Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 924-5100
- St Francis Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.55 miles away1455 St Francis Avenue Shakopee Minnesota 55379Voluntary non-profit - Church(952) 403-3000
- United HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.16 miles away333 North Smith Avenue Saint Paul Minnesota 55102Voluntary non-profit - Private(651) 241-8810
- Park Nicollet Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.2 miles away6500 Excelsior Blvd Minneapolis Minnesota 55426Voluntary non-profit - Private(952) 993-5000
- Abbott Northwestern HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.21 miles away800 East 28th Street Minneapolis Minnesota 55407Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 863-4457
- Children's Hospitals & Clinics of MnChildrens 15.5 miles away2525 Chicago Avenue South Minneapolis Minnesota 55404Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 813-6112
- University of Minnesota Medical Center, FairviewAcute Care Hospitals 16.05 miles away2450 Riverside Avenue Minneapolis Minnesota 55454Voluntary non-profit - Private(612) 273-3000
- East Valley Dialysis of Davita1.87 miles away14050 Pilot Knob Rd Ste 100 Saint Paul Minnesota 55124CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 423-4062
- Fresenius Medical Care - Lakeville2.89 miles away17592 Dodd Blvd Lakeville Minnesota 55044Dialysis Stations: 13 (952) 431-5851
- Burnsville Dialysis of Davita3.1 miles away501 E Nicollet Blvd Suite 150 Burnsville Minnesota 55337Dialysis Stations: 20 (952) 892-1117
- Total Renal Care, Inc.5.69 miles away20184 Heritage Dr Lakeville Minnesota 55044Dialysis Stations: 8 (952) 985-5438
- Scott County Dialysis of Davita8.05 miles away7456 South Park Dr Savage Minnesota 55378Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 226-4766
- Eagan Dialysis of Davita8.39 miles away2750 Blue Water Rd, Suite 300 Saint Paul Minnesota 55121Dialysis Stations: 16 (651) 688-0132
- Bloomington Dialysis of Davita8.69 miles away8591 Lyndale Ave S Minneapolis Minnesota 55420CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (952) 703-5888
- Fmc - Southtown Dialysis10.07 miles away7901 Xerxes Ave S Ste 103 Minneapolis Minnesota 55431Dialysis Stations: 12 (952) 881-6986