Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan is located in Matawan, New Jersey, a city with 30,770 people. We awarded it an overall grade of C, which is a middle of the road score. This nursing home has a few things working in its favor. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Bariatric Care
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in this area with an A+. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better scores in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. A couple minor deficiencies should not lead you to cross a nursing home off your list.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's next best category was short-term care. In that area, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. Our short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other forms of therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per resident than most other facilities. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan?
Turning to another strength for this facility, it also received an elite nursing score. We gave this nursing home a score of D. Our nursing rating is based on numerous datapoints. The most important one is the amount of time nurses spent with residents. This particular nursing home provided a meager 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This number is well below the national average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we rated was long-term care. It received an F in this category, which is an abysmal grade. This is obviously a major disappointment. For prospective residents looking for a permanent place to live rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are an important measure. In addition to looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 97.95222 percent of its residents, which is a very solid datapoint. To our surprise, this nursing home also keeps its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a fall which resulted in major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. More frequent bathing can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Note that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric indicates the percent of long-term patients receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 5.95% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 91.97% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and continence. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Atrium Post Acute Care of Matawan, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements.
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Centrastate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away901 West Main Street Freehold New Jersey 07728Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 431-2000
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 12.35 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.44 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Monmouth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.97 miles away300 Second Avenue Long Branch New Jersey 07740Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 222-5200
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 15.01 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.14 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Fmc Madison Dialysis at Matawan0.72 miles away625 Highway 34 Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 9 (732) 566-0471
- Matawan Dialysis1.15 miles away764 Highway 34 Suite A Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 583-1085
- Davita Holmdel Dialysis2.28 miles away668 North Beers Street Holmdel New Jersey 07733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 302-0321
- Dva Old Bridge Dialysis Ctr4.72 miles awayDavita Kidney Care 262 Texas Rd Old Bridge New Jersey 08857CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (732) 591-4931
- Dva Perth Amboy Dialysis Ctr7.6 miles away271 King Street Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 442-3836
- Davita Freehold Dialysis8.78 miles away300 Craig Road Century Office Park Englishtown New Jersey 07726CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 303-1589
- Meridian Fresenius Dialysis Red Bank9.58 miles away48 East Front Street Red Bank New Jersey 07701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 530-2239
- Shining Star Davita Middletown Dc9.67 miles awayUnion Square Plaza 500 Route 35 South Red Bank New Jersey 07701Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 576-9900