Spring Hills Matawan is located in Matawan, New Jersey, a city with 30,770 people. We awarded it an overall grade of B-, which is a middle of the road score. This nursing home has a few things working in its favor. One of the best aspects of this nursing home's report card is its remarkable inspection grade, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Spring Hills Matawan
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Matawan senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We want to point out that this facility really outperformed its overall score in the area of inspections. In fact, it received an excellent government inspection report this year. As a result, we gave it one of our best scores in this area with an A. Perhaps the most critical factor we look at in calculating our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places with better scores in this area most likely avoided the more severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this facility's better category grades came in the area of short-term care. This proved to be its second best category. In that area, we awarded this facility a B-. In determining our short-term care scores, we size up the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other types of therapists. This area is frequently a meaningful measure of a facility's ability to rehabilitate patients. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we considered in this area is the number of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Spring Hills Matawan?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded its third most favorable category grade in the area of long-term care. We gave this facility a C in this category, which is a respectable score. For patients in need of a permanent place to live rather than rehabilitation, long-term care is an important category. Once we concluded our assessment of the volume of care provided by nurses, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination records. We were pleased to find that this nursing home vaccinates 94.61756 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Lastly, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final area we analyzed is nursing. We gave it a C in that category. This is a decent grade in this category. Our nursing grade analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We factor in both the levels of training of the nurses and the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is a relatively low total compared with most other facilities. Lastly, nursing scores also consider quality-based metrics, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this nursing home actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Some falls could be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its patients.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Spring Hills Matawan Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Spring Hills Matawan, 11.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Spring Hills Matawan, 1.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term residents who experienced falls resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Spring Hills Matawan, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Spring Hills Matawan, 6.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term care patients who are prescribed antipsychotic medication. Excessive reliance on these medications may mean a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Spring Hills Matawan, 14.16% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antianxiety medications. These drugs are generally given to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Spring Hills Matawan, 8.33% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Spring Hills Matawan, 94.82% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Spring Hills Matawan, 5.05% of Patients
This is the percent of patients who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of the decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Spring Hills Matawan, 6.82% of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term residents that remained mobile levels.
In Spring Hills Matawan, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Spring Hills Matawan, 6.82% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Spring Hills Matawan, 16.15% of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Spring Hills Matawan, 91.01% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation services.
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.29 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Centrastate Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.22 miles away901 West Main Street Freehold New Jersey 07728Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 431-2000
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 12.35 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 13.44 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Monmouth Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.97 miles away300 Second Avenue Long Branch New Jersey 07740Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 222-5200
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 15.01 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Staten Island University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.14 miles away475 Seaview Avenue Staten Island New York 10305Voluntary non-profit - Private(418) 226-9761
- Fmc Madison Dialysis at Matawan0.72 miles away625 Highway 34 Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 9 (732) 566-0471
- Matawan Dialysis1.15 miles away764 Highway 34 Suite A Matawan New Jersey 07747Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 583-1085
- Davita Holmdel Dialysis2.28 miles away668 North Beers Street Holmdel New Jersey 07733CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 302-0321
- Dva Old Bridge Dialysis Ctr4.72 miles awayDavita Kidney Care 262 Texas Rd Old Bridge New Jersey 08857CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 13 (732) 591-4931
- Dva Perth Amboy Dialysis Ctr7.6 miles away271 King Street Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 442-3836
- Davita Freehold Dialysis8.78 miles away300 Craig Road Century Office Park Englishtown New Jersey 07726CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 303-1589
- Meridian Fresenius Dialysis Red Bank9.58 miles away48 East Front Street Red Bank New Jersey 07701CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 530-2239
- Shining Star Davita Middletown Dc9.67 miles awayUnion Square Plaza 500 Route 35 South Red Bank New Jersey 07701Dialysis Stations: 15 (732) 576-9900