Atrium Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. Featuring an overall score of D, this is a relatively poor nursing home. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Chicago, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. If you aren't deterred by this place's profile, you can continue reading to learn more about its category scores. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Atrium Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this nursing home favorably overall, we want to point out its relatively solid government inspections in recent years. We gave it a respectable grade of B+ in this area, which is much better than its overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection scores. One critical factor is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these are relatively minor. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. In spite of this deficiency, this place still had a relatively positive report.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this nursing home a decent score in the area of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. In determining our long-term care ratings, we assess the personal care offered to the nursing home's residents. One of the criteria we considered after nurse's aid hours is vaccines. Fortunately, this facility provided the pneumonia vaccine to 97.2973 percent of its residents. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Atrium Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Moving on to the category of short-term care, this nursing home received a grade of just D in that area. In crafting our short-term care grades, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. Given its grade in this area, we were not surprised to find that this place was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. Lastly, we looked at the percentage of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this nursing home. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Switching gears to our next category, this nursing home didn't fare very well here either. With a poor grade of F in nursing, this is really as terrible as it gets. Our nursing grade is based on quite a few factors, many of which are tied to quantities of nurse staffing. This place provided just 0.2 hours of nursing care per patient daily. This is not a very impressive figure. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in calculating our nursing grades. This nursing home performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Atrium Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Atrium Health Care Center, 8.8% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Atrium Health Care Center, 3.56% of Patients had Serious Falls
This measures the percent of long-term care residents who had falls which resulted in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Atrium Health Care Center, 2.49% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care . UTI's are often caused by a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Atrium Health Care Center, 18.65% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients that are administered antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior in situations where such medications are not medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely more on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Atrium Health Care Center, 19.21% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Atrium Health Care Center, 31.81% of Patients
This is the percent of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. High levels of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Atrium Health Care Center, 87.05% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Atrium Health Care Center, 13.3% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Atrium Health Care Center, 14.44% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Atrium Health Care Center, 1.92 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is important to preserving the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Atrium Health Care Center, 14.44 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Atrium Health Care Center, 13.66 Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.26 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 2.96 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Fmc - Rogers Park1.16 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center2.65 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Fmc - Uptown3.16 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis3.32 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.81 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston4.47 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.4.58 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis4.71 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462