Atrium Health Care Center is a large nursing home located in Chicago, Illinois. Our grading system was not favorable to this nursing home, as it received an overall rating of F. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Chicago, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. Despite all this, one of the few highlights of this facility's report card is its impressive inspection grade. You can scroll down to find out about inspections and other category scores
Atrium Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we gave this nursing home a poor overall score, we gave it a grade of B for our inspections rating. This is due to the facility receiving a quality government inspection report this year. Inspection scores are based on many pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important thing to look for on these reports. You should especially avoid nursing homes that have severe deficiencies linked to risks to resident well being. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Despite this deficiency, this was still a relatively favorable report.
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second best score was long-term care, but it still earned a grade of just D in that category. This turns out to be a well below average grade. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to maintain residents' quality of life and keep them safe. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 98.2669 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than many nursing homes. Unfortunately, some of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Atrium Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The third area we analyzed was short-term care, in which this facility was given an F. In computing our short-term care ratings, we look at the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists respiratory therapists and other highly skilled individuals. This area is more often than not a meaningful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation services. Given its weak grade in this category, we weren't stunned to learn this place provided significantly fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than most other facilities. The final measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents that ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. This nursing home struggled quite a bit in this area as well, with just 0 percent of its residents returning home.
The last category we assessed was nursing, in which this nursing home received an abysmal score in this area also. It received a lowly F in this area, which is obviously a major disappointment. Nursing scores are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.2 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home fared well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Atrium Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Atrium Health Care Center, 8.73% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Atrium Health Care Center, 3.45% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term care patients that had falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls may be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Atrium Health Care Center, 2.6% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are routinely associated with a facility with worst hygiene practices. Nevertheless, this metric may also be misleading for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Atrium Health Care Center, 18.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Atrium Health Care Center, 19.04% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Atrium Health Care Center, 30.45% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients demonstrating symptoms of depression. Increased rates of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Atrium Health Care Center, 87.4% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Atrium Health Care Center, 13.9% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Atrium Health Care Center, 17.56% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of residents that maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Atrium Health Care Center, 1.66 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Atrium Health Care Center, 17.56 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Atrium Health Care Center, 11.82 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to measure the well-being of patients during rehabilitation.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 80 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.26 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 2.66 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 2.96 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.01 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.25 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 3.81 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.03 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.27 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Fmc - Rogers Park1.16 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center2.65 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Fmc - Uptown3.16 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis3.32 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.81 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston4.47 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.4.58 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Fmc - Northcenter Dialysis4.71 miles away2620 W. Addison St. Chicago Illinois 60618CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 248-0462