Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center is an average-sized facility in Long Beach, California. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this looks like a decent nursing home. Even in a city of 26 nursing homes, this one turns out to be a perfectly acceptable choice. The best part of this facility's profile was is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this nursing home's overall grade was not bad, it really excelled in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A- for that category, which is one of our best scores. Our inspection scores are based on pieces of information found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these places should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none of the deficiencies were considered severe. This indicates that the government inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to pose an imminent risk to resident safety or health. A couple relatively minor dings aren't necessarily the end of the world.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. In that category, we awarded this nursing home an B. There are quite a few criteria within this grade. Most of the datapoints are tied to the quantity of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can frequently be prevented if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Does this page answer your questions about Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center?
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we assessed was short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of B- in this category. Our short-term care grades are crucial for individuals in need of rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more highly-skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes a vast spectrum of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.2 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Long-term Care Quality
Our last category is long-term care, in which we awarded this nursing home a C in that category. Our long-term care scores are based in part on a nursing home's volume of nursing care. This means a vast scope of personal care services, ranging from help with activities of daily living to routine medical services. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were optimistic to find that this facility vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. This place also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric indicates the percent of long-term care residents who experienced falls resulting in severe injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Note that this statistic is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of residents who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay patients which are administered antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly used to treat residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 4.33% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could be a sign lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and bathing.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that maintained mobility. Some experts would argue that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical health.
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Atlantic Memorial Healthcare Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with ADL's usually correlates with superior rehabilitation.
Scores for Long Beach, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Long Beach, California has 25 other nursing homes
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.5 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- St Mary Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away1050 Linden Ave Long Beach California 90813Voluntary non-profit - Church(562) 491-9000
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.16 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Lac/Harbor-Ucla Med CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.55 miles away1000 W Carson St Torrance California 90502Government - Local(310) 222-2101
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.76 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.67 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Martin Luther King, Jr. Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.85 miles away1680 East 120th Street Los Angeles California 90059Voluntary non-profit - Private(424) 835-6808
- Torrance Memorial Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.13 miles away3330 Lomita Blvd Torrance California 90509Voluntary non-profit - Other(310) 325-9110
- Long Beach Quest Dialysis Center0.52 miles away3140 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 988-8866
- Davita-Long Beach Harbor (Ucla) Dialysis Center1.27 miles away1075 E. Pacific Coast Highway Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (562) 599-1511
- u.s. Renal Care Long Beach Dialysis1.88 miles away1045 Atlantic Avenue, Suite 108 Long Beach California 90813CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 435-3637
- Davita-El Dorado Dialysis1.91 miles away2977 Redondo Avenue Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (562) 988-3418
- Davita-United Dialysis Center2.02 miles away3111 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 26 (562) 426-5155
- Davita-Bixby Knolls Dialysis2.02 miles away3744 Long Beach Blvd. Long Beach California 90807CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 424-1403
- u.s. Renal Care West Coast Dialysis2.24 miles away3780 Kilroy Airport Way, Suite 110 Long Beach California 90806CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 989-3010
- Fmc-Long Beach2.88 miles away440 W. Ocean Blvd. Long Beach California 90802CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 432-4444