Located in Alhambra, California, Atherton Baptist Home is one of five nursing homes in the area. Featuring an overall score of B-, this is likely a decent facility. Based on our assessment, there are definitely far worse facilities out there. The best part of this nursing home's report card is is its inspection score. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
Atherton Baptist Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's best category grade came in the area of health inspections. In this category, we gave this nursing home a B+. It outperformed most nursing homes in this category. These inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility received 9 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This means that CMS did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
This facility also excelled in the area of nursing, where it received an B. Nursing grades are primarily based on a nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a policy of moving patients more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Atherton Baptist Home?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an impressive long-term care grade. In fact, we awarded them a B in this category, which is one of our better. Facilities that receive this kind of score in long-term care typically provide consistent 24/7 care to make sure residents are kept in good health. In addition to looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we rated is short-term care. We awarded it a C in that category. This is a fair grade in this area. In computing our short-term care scores, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. This score is more often than not a useful assessment of the nursing home's rehabilitation. Unfortunately, it does not appear that this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. At most nursing homes, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Atherton Baptist Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Atherton Baptist Home, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Atherton Baptist Home, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a fall resulting in serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Atherton Baptist Home, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents that suffered from urinary tract infections. UTI's could be an indicator of a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for some nursing homes due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Atherton Baptist Home, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Atherton Baptist Home, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antianxiety drugs. These drugs are typically given to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Atherton Baptist Home, 4.64% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Atherton Baptist Home, 95.44% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Atherton Baptist Home, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Atherton Baptist Home, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who retained mobility levels.
In Atherton Baptist Home, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is key to preserving the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Atherton Baptist Home, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Atherton Baptist Home, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Atherton Baptist Home, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term stay patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of autonomy with activities of daily living generally correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Alhambra, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Alhambra, California has 4 other nursing homes
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.6 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Fmc-San Gabriel Dialysis Center0.9 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 102 Alhambra California 91803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (626) 457-9002
- Fmc-San Gabriel Valley Pd Clinic0.9 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 204 Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 6 (626) 457-6540
- Fmc-Alhambra1.15 miles away2300 W. Valley Blvd. Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 458-4726
- Davita-Garfield Hemodialysis Center1.62 miles away118 Hilliard Avenue Monterey Park California 91754CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 288-5796
- Rosemead Dialysis Center2.07 miles away7403 Hellman Avenue Rosemead California 91770Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 280-6161
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC2.49 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- u.s. Renal Care Rosemead Dialysis2.6 miles away3100 Del Mar Avenue Rosemead California 91770CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 288-7860
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center3.11 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500