Atherton Baptist Home is an average-sized non-profit nursing home in Alhambra, California. Featuring an overall score of B, this nursing home is a fine option. Based on the data we reviewed, you can do much worse than this place. This nursing home's impressive report card was highlighted by its inspection reports, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Atherton Baptist Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Alhambra senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Aquatic Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility received a strong overall score as described above, but we especially want to point out its excellent government inspections in recent years. We gave them an A- in this area. Our inspection grades account for several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Nursing homes with better grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this place had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' scale. We should point out that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Among its many impressive scores, this nursing home received an excellent nursing grade. In fact, we gave it a grade of B+ in that category. Our nursing score is mostly associated with the facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving residents at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Atherton Baptist Home?
Long-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also received favorable long-term care scores this year. Indeed, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a score of B. When facilities receive a score in this range in long-term care it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. After looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 99.67949 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Finally, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Our final category is short-term care, in which we awarded this nursing home a grade of C in that category. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to assess a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer good rehabilitation services, facilities generally must have better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that this nursing home submitted information about its staffing of registered nurses or physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who eventually returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. Unfortunately, this was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Atherton Baptist Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Atherton Baptist Home, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered to be a barometer of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are often the result of residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Atherton Baptist Home, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of residents that suffered from a fall leading to severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Atherton Baptist Home, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents that had urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this metric could be skewed for certain facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Atherton Baptist Home, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are used for a variety of medical conditions, such as dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Atherton Baptist Home, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of residents who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Atherton Baptist Home, 5.83% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting depressive symptoms. High rates of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Atherton Baptist Home, 95.65% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Atherton Baptist Home, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Atherton Baptist Home, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care residents who were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry believe that mobility is critical to patients health.
In Atherton Baptist Home, 1.78 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Avoiding hospitalizations is critical to the physical health of patients.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Atherton Baptist Home, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Atherton Baptist Home, 11.34 Percentage of Patients
This is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Atherton Baptist Home, 79.12% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents who saw functional improvements.
- Garfield Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.6 miles away525 N Garfield Ave Monterey Park California 91754Proprietary(626) 573-2222
- San Gabriel Valley Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.9 miles away438 W Las Tunas Drive San Gabriel California 91776Proprietary(626) 289-5454
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.43 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.72 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Beverly HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.43 miles away309 W Beverly Blvd Montebello California 90640Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 726-1222
- Los Angeles Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.6 miles away4081 E Olympic Blvd Los Angeles California 90023Proprietary(323) 267-0477
- Methodist Hospital of Southern CaAcute Care Hospitals 6.1 miles away300 W Huntington Dr Arcadia California 91006Voluntary non-profit - Private(626) 445-4441
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.97 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Fmc-San Gabriel Dialysis Center0.9 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 102 Alhambra California 91803CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (626) 457-9002
- Fmc-San Gabriel Valley Pd Clinic0.9 miles away1801 W. Valley Blvd., Suite 204 Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 6 (626) 457-6540
- Fmc-Alhambra1.15 miles away2300 W. Valley Blvd. Alhambra California 91803Dialysis Stations: 20 (626) 458-4726
- Davita-Garfield Hemodialysis Center1.62 miles away118 Hilliard Avenue Monterey Park California 91754CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 288-5796
- Rosemead Dialysis Center2.07 miles away7403 Hellman Avenue Rosemead California 91770Dialysis Stations: 17 (626) 280-6161
- San Gabriel Nephrology Services, LLC2.49 miles away801 S. San Gabriel Blvd. San Gabriel California 91776CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (626) 285-1830
- u.s. Renal Care Rosemead Dialysis2.6 miles away3100 Del Mar Avenue Rosemead California 91770CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (626) 288-7860
- Fmc-Arroyo Dialysis Center3.11 miles away1111 S. Arroyo Parkway, Suite 150 Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (626) 441-9500