Astoria Place of Waterville is an average-sized nursing home in Waterville, Ohio. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber typically indicates some concerning datapoints. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in Waterville. The only positive thing we can really say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Astoria Place of Waterville
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Astoria Place of Waterville has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Waterville senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility overall, we gave it a B- for our inspections rating. This grade is better than this place's overall score. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. In addition to having severe deficiencies, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. The nursing score is based on many factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Astoria Place of Waterville?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable area turned out to be its long-term care score, where it was awarded a grade of B-. Our long-term care ratings are essential for people requiring non-healthcare services such as personal care. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to just 52.25564 percent of its patients, which is several points lower than we expected. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this nursing home was awarded a C for short-term care, which is an acceptable score. In crafting these short-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our objective is to devise a scale for comparing the rehabilitation services of different facilities. In this nursing home's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than a typical facility. The last measure we considered in this category is the percentage of residents that returned home from the facility. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Astoria Place of Waterville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 7.3% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely caused by patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 3.68% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a fall which caused severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 12.59% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for several medical conditions, such as cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 21.99% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 21.39% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Some believe this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 88.91% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 12.66% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients that were able to retain mobility. Many in the industry would argue that mobility is critical to patients physical and mental health.
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 1.43 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 12.66 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 75.85% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a measure of rehabilitation performance.
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Wood County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away950 West Wooster Street Bowling Green Ohio 43402Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 354-8900
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 11.45 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 14.41 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.74 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.79 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- Fmc - Perrysburg Dialysis5.94 miles away701 Commerce Drive Perrysburg Ohio 43551Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 874-3447
- Total Renal Care, Inc.6.43 miles away4330 Keystone Drive Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 887-0762
- Fresenius Medical Care Maumee Home LLC6.43 miles away6546 Weatherfield Ct Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 4 (419) 865-4554
- Usrc Maumee, LLC6.95 miles away1787 Indian Wood Circle, Suite B Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 887-0729
- Fmc- Arrowhead Dialysis Center7.2 miles away322 W Dussel Drive Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 891-2200
- Us Renal Care of Bowling Green8.22 miles away1037 Conneaut Street, Suite 101 Bowling Green Ohio 43402Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 353-1080
- Davita - Swan Creek Dialysis9.46 miles away5201 Airport Highway Toledo Ohio 43615Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 214-0540
- Davita - Southland Dialysis10.12 miles away3401 Glendale Toledo Ohio 43614CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (419) 389-9681