Astoria Place of Waterville is an average-sized nursing home in Waterville, Ohio. This nursing home received an F, which is just about as bad as it gets in our grading scheme. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Waterville. The city has just one other nursing home. We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this facility's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Astoria Place of Waterville
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Note: Astoria Place of Waterville has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of B-. Inspection ratings weigh a host of factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One of the most important criteria we weigh heavily is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. Another area of concern is that CMS flagged this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. This is not what you want to see. We advise you to direct your search elsewhere.
We were also surprised to find that this facility received a decent nursing grade this year. We gave it a grade of C in that category. Nursing grades are largely associated with a facility's nurse staffing. This place averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident daily, which is a very low figure. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics. Although this place got docked a bit for its nursing hours per resident, it actually excelled in some of these quality-based measures. With fewer than five percent of its residents suffering from pressure ulcers, it did remarkably well in this area. This is typically an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as having a policy of turning residents at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Astoria Place of Waterville?
Long-term Care Quality
Sadly, this facility's third best category was long-term care. Nevertheless, with a D in this category, it still performed relatively poorly. Facilities that don't score well in long-term care often do not provide as much nursing care and also may be lagging in a few of the areas of routine healthcare services we assessed. On top of assessing the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home provided the vaccine to a relatively low 64.259926 percent of its patients, which is somewhat concerning. To our surprise, this place was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home has fewer hospitalizations than most nursing homes. This is its best score in this category.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we looked at is short-term care, proved to be this nursing home's weakest area. We awarded this facility a D in this category. With our short-term care assessment, we try to forge a meaningful gauge for rehabilitation. In this process, we analyze the facility's levels of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as respiratory therapy. Considering its score in this area, we were not stunned to discover that this facility was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the figures we looked at. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. Finally, we considered the number of patients that who were able to eventually return home from this facility. This nursing home didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Astoria Place of Waterville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care residents that are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally prescribed to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 20% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who are exhibiting signs of depression. Some argue this is a reliable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 90.19% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents that experienced functional improvements.
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Wood County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away950 West Wooster Street Bowling Green Ohio 43402Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 354-8900
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 11.45 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 14.41 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.74 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.79 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- Fmc - Perrysburg Dialysis5.94 miles away701 Commerce Drive Perrysburg Ohio 43551Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 874-3447
- Total Renal Care, Inc.6.43 miles away4330 Keystone Drive Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 887-0762
- Fresenius Medical Care Maumee Home LLC6.43 miles away6546 Weatherfield Ct Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 4 (419) 865-4554
- Usrc Maumee, LLC6.95 miles away1787 Indian Wood Circle, Suite B Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 887-0729
- Fmc- Arrowhead Dialysis Center7.2 miles away322 W Dussel Drive Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 891-2200
- Us Renal Care of Bowling Green8.22 miles away1037 Conneaut Street, Suite 101 Bowling Green Ohio 43402Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 353-1080
- Davita - Swan Creek Dialysis9.46 miles away5201 Airport Highway Toledo Ohio 43615Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 214-0540
- Davita - Southland Dialysis10.12 miles away3401 Glendale Toledo Ohio 43614CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (419) 389-9681