Astoria Place of Waterville is an average-sized nursing home in Waterville, Ohio. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score of this caliber typically indicates some concerning datapoints. If you are not happy with this facility's poor overall grade, you may find your options to be limited in Waterville. The city has just one other nursing home. The only positive thing we can really say about this facility is that it did not receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Astoria Place of Waterville
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Astoria Place of Waterville has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Bariatric Care
- Oncology Care
Registered Staff Hours
While we were not high on this facility overall, we gave it a B- for our inspections rating. This grade is better than this place's overall score. These inspection grades take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home received 3 deficiencies on its inspection report. In addition to having severe deficiencies, this nursing home was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. This is generally a really bad sign. We would never recommend this facility.
One of the other reasons we rated this facility so highly is that it earned a very impressive nursing grade. In fact, nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. The nursing score is based on many factors. The most heavily weighted variable is the amount of time nurses spend with residents. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per patient each day. This is a low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, nursing grades also consider quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours per resident, this place performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is often an indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Some falls can be avoided if a nursing home provides enough nurses to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Astoria Place of Waterville?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's next most favorable area turned out to be its long-term care score, where it was awarded a grade of C. Our long-term care ratings are essential for people requiring non-healthcare services such as personal care. On top of considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This nursing home gave the vaccine to just 64.15771 percent of its patients, which is several points lower than we expected. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was short-term care, which turned out to be a low point for this nursing home. We gave this nursing home a grade of just D for our short-term care category. In computing our short-term care ratings, we assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our purpose is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Based on its score in this category, we were not surprised to discover that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its patients based on the figures we looked at. Frankly, this was about what we expected here. The final measure we considered in this category is the number of residents that who were able to eventually return home from the facility. This facility struggled quite a bit in this metric as well, with just 0 percent of its patients returning home. This was well below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Astoria Place of Waterville Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents which experienced a fall which caused major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients who experienced a UTI. Although more infections could reflect poorly on a facility's hygiene protocols, it is difficult to compare different facilities due to differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic medications. These medications may be used for treating several conditions, including Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are commonly given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 20.26% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 90.12% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the erosion of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility.
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Astoria Place of Waterville, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
- St Luke's HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.42 miles away5901 Monclova Road Maumee Ohio 43537Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 893-5900
- Wood County HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away950 West Wooster Street Bowling Green Ohio 43402Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 354-8900
- University of Toledo Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.9 miles away3000 Arlington Avenue Toledo Ohio 43699Government - State(419) 383-4848
- Northwest Ohio Psychiatric HospitalPsychiatric 11.45 miles away930 South Detroit Avenue Toledo Ohio 43614Government - State(419) 381-1881
- Toledo Hospital TheAcute Care Hospitals 14.41 miles away2142 North Cove Boulevard Toledo Ohio 43606Voluntary non-profit - Private(419) 291-7463
- Mercy St Anne HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.07 miles away3404 Sylvania Avenue Toledo Ohio 43623Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 407-2663
- Bay Park Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.74 miles away2801 Bay Park Drive Oregon Ohio 43616Voluntary non-profit - Other(419) 690-7700
- Mercy Health St Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.79 miles away2213 Cherry Street Toledo Ohio 43608Voluntary non-profit - Church(419) 251-3232
- Fmc - Perrysburg Dialysis5.94 miles away701 Commerce Drive Perrysburg Ohio 43551Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 874-3447
- Total Renal Care, Inc.6.43 miles away4330 Keystone Drive Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 887-0762
- Fresenius Medical Care Maumee Home LLC6.43 miles away6546 Weatherfield Ct Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 4 (419) 865-4554
- Usrc Maumee, LLC6.95 miles away1787 Indian Wood Circle, Suite B Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 13 (419) 887-0729
- Fmc- Arrowhead Dialysis Center7.2 miles away322 W Dussel Drive Maumee Ohio 43537Dialysis Stations: 24 (419) 891-2200
- Us Renal Care of Bowling Green8.22 miles away1037 Conneaut Street, Suite 101 Bowling Green Ohio 43402Dialysis Stations: 12 (419) 353-1080
- Davita - Swan Creek Dialysis9.46 miles away5201 Airport Highway Toledo Ohio 43615Dialysis Stations: 20 (419) 214-0540
- Davita - Southland Dialysis10.12 miles away3401 Glendale Toledo Ohio 43614CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (419) 389-9681