Astoria Place of Columbus is located in Columbus, Ohio, which is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation. This facility was given a rock bottom overall score based on the data we looked at. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Columbus, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Astoria Place of Columbus
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
44 S Souder Ave,
Columbus OH 43222
82.66% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Astoria Place of Columbus has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
We really could not find anything positive to say about this place. It received a lowly D in the category of short-term care. In computing these short-term care scores, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various nursing homes. Given its grade in this category, we were not surprised to find that this facility was well below average in terms of its quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its residents based on the metrics we assessed. Honestly, this was what we expected here. Finally, we considered the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this facility. This was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, around half of their patients are able to return home so this is well below average.
Among this facility's alarming category grades was an F for its inspection grade. More often than not, this means we found some red flags on the facility's inspection reports. When a nursing home has this bad of an inspection score, you should look for severe deficiencies on its inspection report. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to patient safety. This particular facility was hit with 5 deficiencies on its inspection report. The only positive thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that suggest they posed a threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Does this page answer your questions about Astoria Place of Columbus?
In addition, we gave this facility an F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing rating is largely tied to a facility's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our last area, this facility didn't perform well here either. With a very poor grade of F in long-term care, this is just about as as uninspiring as it gets. When nursing homes receive this type of score in long-term care it is a bad sign for patient care and it may mean that the nursing home is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home vaccinated 93.04556 percent of its residents. This is a few points below what we were hoping for but still a decent figure. To our surprise, this nursing home was actually able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this facility has less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. This is its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Astoria Place of Columbus Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 7.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of long-term stay patients who are suffering from pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a solid measure of the quality of nursing care a nursing home provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 3.74% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injury are routinely linked to lower levels of patient supervision. Better nursing care can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 1.71% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to inadequate hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 13.23% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 22.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This gauges the percentage of long-term patients who are given antianxiety medication. These medications are commonly prescribed to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 20.26% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who are exhibiting symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 90.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 14.88% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term residents that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 16.29% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is important for residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 1.36 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 16.29 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 75.25% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 35 other nursing homes
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 1.9 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 2.34 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.03 miles away5100 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43228Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 544-1000
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel West0.05 miles away745 West State St Suite 660 Columbus Ohio 43222Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 224-2344
- Fmc - Greater Columbus Regional Dialysis, LLC1.61 miles away285 E. State St., Suite 170 Columbus Ohio 43215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (614) 228-9114
- Fmc - Grant Park1.77 miles away393 East Town Street Suite 111 Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 9 (614) 469-0070
- Davita - Columbus Downtown Dialysis1.85 miles away415 East Mound Street Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 228-1773
- Nationwide Childrens Hospital2.32 miles away700 Childrens Dr t6a Columbus Ohio 43205Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 722-4859
- Fmc-Campus Kidney Dialysis Center2.66 miles away1791 Kenny Rd. Columbus Ohio 43210Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 487-9750
- Fmc - Clayton Taylor3.69 miles away730 Taylor Avenue Columbus Ohio 43219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 258-5898
- Kidney Center of Columbus East3.81 miles away1805 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (614) 253-3300