Astoria Place of Columbus is located in Columbus, Ohio, which is among the most densely populated metropolitan areas in the nation. This facility was given a rock bottom overall score based on the data we looked at. If you aren't happy with this nursing home, you should be able to find another option in Columbus, as the city has more than 25 nursing homes. We would not blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this nursing home's category grades, we will discuss short-term care in the next section.
Astoria Place of Columbus
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
Note: Astoria Place of Columbus has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Speech Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home did not receive any favorable grades. In particular, we gave it an F in the category of short-term care. In forming our short-term care ratings, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to devise a tool for comparing the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Based on its grade in this category, we weren't surprised to find that this nursing home was well below average in terms of its number of physical therapy and registered nurse hours offered to its residents based on the figures we assessed. Honestly, this was about what we expected here. Finally, we looked at the number of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. This definitely was not a strength for this nursing home. We found that just 5.3 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, about half of their residents are able to return home so this is well below average.
Among this nursing home's alarming grades was an F for its inspection grade. Generally, this means we found some major red flags on its government inspection reports. With nursing homes that received this poor of an inspection grade, we recommend scrutinizing the severe deficiencies on its inspection report. This nursing home was hit with 5 deficiencies by CMS. The only favorable thing we can say is that none of the deficiencies were in the categories that indicate that they posed a risk to resident health or safety. Lastly, this facility was flagged by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We prefer to avoid facilities with this designation. Please do your best to find an alternative nursing home.
Does this page answer your questions about Astoria Place of Columbus?
Among this nursing home's several poor grades was its F in the area of nursing care. Our nursing score is mostly associated with the nursing home's nurse staffing. This nursing home offered only 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is well below average. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing ratings. This facility performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. Many consider these statistics to be good measures of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care. It received an F in this area, which is a very poor score. For residents looking for a permanent residence as opposed to skilled nursing, long-term care grades are a key measure. One of the data points we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccines. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 96.585365 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this facility also keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in this category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Astoria Place of Columbus Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of patients who sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. These infections could be associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This datapoint is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are typically prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 20% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 90.19% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and bathing. Many would argue this is a reliable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 1.39 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Astoria Place of Columbus, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This is the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living.
Scores for Columbus, OH
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Columbus, Ohio has 35 other nursing homes
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 0.12 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.71 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 1.9 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Nationwide Children's HospitalChildrens 2.34 miles away700 Children's Drive Columbus Ohio 43205Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 722-2000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 2.54 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.11 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.03 miles away5100 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43228Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 544-1000
- Mount Carmel St Ann'sAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away500 South Cleveland Avenue Westerville Ohio 43081Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 898-4000
- Fmc - Mt. Carmel West0.05 miles away745 West State St Suite 660 Columbus Ohio 43222Dialysis Stations: 20 (614) 224-2344
- Fmc - Greater Columbus Regional Dialysis, LLC1.61 miles away285 E. State St., Suite 170 Columbus Ohio 43215CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (614) 228-9114
- Fmc - Grant Park1.77 miles away393 East Town Street Suite 111 Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 9 (614) 469-0070
- Davita - Columbus Downtown Dialysis1.85 miles away415 East Mound Street Columbus Ohio 43215Dialysis Stations: 24 (614) 228-1773
- Nationwide Childrens Hospital2.32 miles away700 Childrens Dr t6a Columbus Ohio 43205Dialysis Stations: 7 (614) 722-4859
- Fmc-Campus Kidney Dialysis Center2.66 miles away1791 Kenny Rd. Columbus Ohio 43210Dialysis Stations: 17 (614) 487-9750
- Fmc - Clayton Taylor3.69 miles away730 Taylor Avenue Columbus Ohio 43219CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (614) 258-5898
- Kidney Center of Columbus East3.81 miles away1805 East Main Street Columbus Ohio 43205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (614) 253-3300