Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center is a large nursing home located in Winter Haven, Florida. This nursing home was awarded an A- overall, which is one of our better ratings. You flat out can not do any better than this facility. As you can see below, this nursing home also performed well in our category ratings. It's hard to poke holes in this nursing home's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Winter Haven senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Winter Haven, Florida Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
Short-term Care Quality
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great facility is that it earned a strong short-term care score. In fact, this turned out to be its best category. In that category, we awarded this facility an A. Our short-term care grades are based on a facility's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a vast spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other types of therapy. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 6.5 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Adding to its impressive category scores, this nursing home excelled in the area of inspections, where it received an A-. Not many nursing homes performed better in this area. Our inspection ratings are based on pieces of information located in the a nursing home's inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes should not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this facility had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center?
This nursing home also received a very impressive nursing grade. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of A-. We assessed the skill-level of nurses working for the nursing home, in addition to the quantity of time those nurses worked with patients, in calculating our rating in this category. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This facility performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a nursing home has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can often be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
Long-term Care Quality
In our last area, we gave this nursing home an A- for its long-term care grade. This topped off a very impressive profile. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. It had only 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.19% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.87% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay residents that suffered a fall which caused serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 1.78% of Patients had UTIs
This figure indicates the percent of long-term patients who experienced UTI's. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different nursing homes due to facilities having reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 10.42% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 21.31% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.53% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 95.81% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 12.69% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could be a sign of decline of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 14.03% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility. Many in the industry argue that mobility is vital to residents' well-being.
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 2.07 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 14.03 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 9.64 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Astoria Health and Rehabilitation Center, 77.72% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. High levels of independence with activities of daily living typically correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
Scores for Winter Haven, FL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Winter Haven, Florida has 3 other nursing homes
- Winter Haven HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.09 miles away200 Ave F Ne Winter Haven Florida 33881Voluntary non-profit - Private(863) 293-1121
- Adventhealth Lake WalesAcute Care Hospitals 10.46 miles away410 S 11th St Lake Wales Florida 33853Proprietary(863) 676-1433
- Adventhealth Heart of FloridaAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away40100 Hwy 27 Davenport Florida 33837Proprietary(863) 422-4971
- Bartow Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.38 miles away2200 Osprey Blvd Bartow Florida 33831Proprietary(863) 533-8111
- Poinciana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.67 miles away325 Cypress Pkwy Kissimmee Florida 34758Proprietary(407) 530-2000
- Lakeland Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 17.05 miles away1324 Lakeland Hills Blvd Lakeland Florida 33805Voluntary non-profit - Private(863) 687-1100
- Winter Haven South Dialysis2.74 miles away7220 Cypress Gardens Blvd Winter Haven Florida 33884CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (863) 324-5040
- Rai Care Centers - Winter Haven3.38 miles away1200 E Lake Silver Dr Winter Haven Florida 33881CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (863) 299-0007
- Winter Haven Dialysis3.46 miles away1625 Unity Way Nw Winter Haven Florida 33881CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (863) 294-8851
- Fmc-Auburndale7.53 miles away365 Havendale Blvd Auburndale Florida 33823Dialysis Stations: 16 (863) 551-3159
- Rai Care Centers - Haines City9.35 miles away110 Patterson Rd Haines City Florida 33844CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (863) 422-0800
- Florida Dialysis Center of Haines City LLC10.4 miles away2340 North Boulevard West Davenport Florida 33837Dialysis Stations: 20 (863) 353-6886
- Lake Wales Dialysis10.54 miles away1125 Bryn Mawr Ave Lake Wales Florida 33853Dialysis Stations: 12 (863) 679-9851
- Rai Care Centers - Lake Wales10.78 miles away1348 State Road 60 E Lake Wales Florida 33853Dialysis Stations: 15 (863) 676-9510