Astor Healthcare Center is located in Vista, California, a city with 112,033 people. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B-. A score of this caliber requires some respectable marks. Based on our analysis, this facility ought to meet the needs of many people. One of the highlights of this nursing home's report card is its strong nursing score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Astor Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
247 E. Bobier Drive,
Vista CA 92084
71.01% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
This nursing home received a nursing score which is stronger than its overall grade. We awarded this nursing home an above average grade of B+ in this area. We looked at the licensure of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses worked with patients, in calculating our rating in this area. This nursing home averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a strong grade in short-term care. This facility received a grade of B in this area, which happens to be one of our better grades. Short-term care ratings are based on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We weren't able to find information on registered nurse or physical therapy staffing for this nursing home. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Astor Healthcare Center?
It should also be noted that this nursing home's inspection score was strong as well. In fact, we awarded it a B for its government inspection reports, which is one of our better scores. Inspection scores weigh several factors, including deficiencies and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these issues by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This facility was assessed 5 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies to cause an imminent risk to resident safety or health. Remember that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was long-term care. We awarded it a C in that area. This is a perfectly acceptable grade in this area. Our long-term care grade is typically used to gauge a nursing home's performance as a traditional nursing home, as opposed to focusing more on the skilled nursing services offered by a rehabilitation facility. After looking at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination records. We were pleased to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 99.78858 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Astor Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Astor Healthcare Center, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often caused by patients not being moved frequently enough.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Astor Healthcare Center, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Closer supervision reduces the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Astor Healthcare Center, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Astor Healthcare Center, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs may be used for treating several medical conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Astor Healthcare Center, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These medications are used to treat patients suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Astor Healthcare Center, 4.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression. High levels of depression may be an indicator a lower level of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Astor Healthcare Center, 95.44% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Astor Healthcare Center, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of residents that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate erosion of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Astor Healthcare Center, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term residents who were able to retain mobility. Some experts believe that mobility is vital to residents' well-being.
In Astor Healthcare Center, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Astor Healthcare Center, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Astor Healthcare Center, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Astor Healthcare Center, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care patients that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Tri-City Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.79 miles away4002 Vista Way Oceanside California 92056Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 724-8411
- Nh Camp PendletonAcute Care - Department of Defense 8.55 miles away200 Mercy Circle Camp Pendleton Camp Pendleton California 92055Department of Defense(760) 725-1288
- Palomar Health Downtown CampusAcute Care Hospitals 11.78 miles away555 East Valley Parkway Escondido California 92025Government - Hospital District or Authority(760) 739-3000
- Scripps Memorial Hospital - EncinitasAcute Care Hospitals 12.95 miles away354 Santa Fe Drive Encinitas California 92024Voluntary non-profit - Private(760) 753-6501
- Pomerado HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.04 miles away15615 Pomerado Road Poway California 92064Government - Hospital District or Authority(858) 485-6511
- Temecula Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 19.31 miles away31700 Temecula Pkwy Temecula California 92592Proprietary(951) 331-2200
- Fmc-Buena Creek2.09 miles away950 Hacienda Drive Vista California 92081CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (760) 631-7900
- Davita Oceanside Dialysis2.69 miles away4182 Oceanside Blvd Oceanside California 92056Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 941-8393
- Fmc-North Coast Kidney Center5.02 miles away3300 Vista Way, Suite A Oceanside California 92056CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (760) 721-4344
- u.s. Renal Care Oceanside Dialysis5.5 miles away2227- B El Camino Real Oceanside California 92054CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (760) 757-1838
- Davita-San Marcos Dialysis Center9.62 miles away2135 Montiel Road, Bldg. B San Marcos California 92069CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (760) 975-0170
- Davita-Escondido Dialysis11.83 miles away203 E. Second Avenue Escondido California 92025CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (760) 743-4401
- Davita-Encinitas Dialysis12.88 miles away332 Santa Fe Drive, Suite 100 Encinitas California 92024CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (760) 632-2323
- Fmc-Rancho17.05 miles away11031 via Frontera, Suite C San Diego California 92127CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (858) 385-0700