Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River is in the large metropolitan area of Birmingham, Alabama. We awarded this facility an B+ overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all facilities in the country. Based on our analysis, you can do much worse than this place. As you can find below, this facility also performed just fine in our category ratings. It's hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this facility performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One of those factors is health deficiencies. You should keep in mind that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more meaningful than the quantity of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being quite insignificant. Fortunately, although this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should point out that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in this industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Adding to this facility's list of strengths, it also received a very favorable short-term care grade. We gave them a strong strong of A- in this area. In crafting our short-term care ratings, we analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to formulate a barometer for sizing up the rehabilitation services of various facilities. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 6.2 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River?
Long-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also was given favorable long-term care scores in our assessment. In fact, we gave it one of our higher scores in that area, with a grade of B. Long-term care grades of this caliber generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After we finished assessing the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the facility's vaccination statistics. This facility vaccinated 97.95918 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia sadly is often a dangerous condition for nursing home residents so we prefer when a nursing home doesn't leave its residents vulnerable. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Moving on to our final category, this nursing home was given a highly favorable nursing rating. This nursing home didn't turn out to have any noticeable weaknesses. Our nursing rating is based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We weigh both the levels of training of the nurses and the quantity of hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of turning a resident at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 9.14% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 3.5% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure tells you the percentage of long-term care patients which had a fall resulting in serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in calculating our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 3.25% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely caused by poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 19.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat several medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 23.34% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of residents given antianxiety drugs. These drugs are given to residents experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 1.35% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who are showing depressive symptoms. Higher levels of depression could reveal a less hospitable environment.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 91.96% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 13.45% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 18.12% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Retaining mobility is often a good sign for residents' health.
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 1.46 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 18.12 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 11.48 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aspire Physical Recovery Center at Cahaba River, 72.53% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts believe that this is a reasonable measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for Birmingham, AL
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Birmingham, Alabama has 15 other nursing homes
- Grandview Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.09 miles away3690 Grandview Parkway Birmingham Alabama 35243Proprietary(205) 971-1000
- Brookwood Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.31 miles away2010 Brookwood Medical Center Drive Birmingham Alabama 35209Proprietary(205) 877-1000
- St Vincent's BirminghamAcute Care Hospitals 6.25 miles away810 St Vincent's Drive Birmingham Alabama 35205Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-7000
- Uab Callahan Eye Hospital AuthorityAcute Care Hospitals 6.37 miles away1720 University Blvd, Suite 500 Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 325-8100
- Children's Hospital of AlabamaChildrens 6.48 miles away1600 Seventh Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 939-9100
- University of Alabama HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.52 miles away619 South 19th Street Birmingham Alabama 35233Government - State(205) 934-4011
- Princeton Baptist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.92 miles away701 Princeton Avenue Southwest Birmingham Alabama 35211Voluntary non-profit - Church(205) 783-3800
- St Vincent's EastAcute Care Hospitals 12.36 miles away50 Medical Park East Drive Birmingham Alabama 35235Voluntary non-profit - Private(205) 838-3122
- Renal Treatment Centers Southeast, Lp1.62 miles away5406 Highway 280, Suite d107 Birmingham Alabama 35242Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 981-2045
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc.2.68 miles away105 Inverness Cors Birmingham Alabama 35242Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 981-4925
- Fmc Hoover3.98 miles away2104 Lorna Ridge Lane Birmingham Alabama 35216Dialysis Stations: 12 (205) 979-3708
- Fresenius Medical Care Birmingham Home, LLC5.83 miles away35 West Lakeshore Drive Suite 105 Birmingham Alabama 35209Dialysis Stations: 13 (205) 290-1197
- Rcg Southside6.11 miles away2131 Magnolia Ave South #100 Birmingham Alabama 35205Dialysis Stations: 16 (205) 322-4382
- Birmingham Central Dialysis6.37 miles away728 Richard Arrington Blvd S Birmingham Alabama 35233CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (205) 250-6760
- Childrens Hospital Dialysis6.47 miles away1600 7th Avenue South Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 7 (205) 638-9275
- Bio-Medical Applications of Alabama, Inc6.65 miles away2024 4th Ave South, Suite 100 Birmingham Alabama 35233Dialysis Stations: 10 (205) 321-5844