Aspen Living Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. It looks like this facility is a well below average facility. A grade in this range indicates we found some red flags. Colorado Springs received a city grade of B, so there are some other options in the city worth considering. If you aren't deterred by this nursing home's report card, you can continue reading to find out about its category scores. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aspen Living Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Colorado Springs senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't give this nursing home a good overall score, we actually gave it a strong grade in the area of nursing, where it earned a B. This is better than most nursing homes in this area. Our nursing score considers several factors. The most important one is the quantity of hours nurses spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well when it comes to avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this facility's better category scores was in the category of short-term care. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B. It actually outpaced most nursing homes in this category. Short-term care scores are based on a facility's quantity of skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This means a vast spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and respiratory therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, according to the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Aspen Living Center?
Unfortunately, with a grade of D in the inspection category, this facility performed relatively poorly in that area. One of the most important factors in assessing inspection reports is deficiencies. We would pay close attention to the severity of the deficiencies. This facility had one category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more severe categories of deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies found by CMS had potential to pose actual harm to residents. Finally, we want to point out that this facility received large government fines in recent years totaling more than $100,000. This often signifies that a facility's poor performance has been an issue for more than one year.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we analyzed was long-term care, proved to be this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave this nursing home a grade of D in that category. If you are looking for services other than short-term rehabilitation, you should take a close look at each nursing home's long-term care grades. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. We were optimistic to learn that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Surprisingly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, this nursing home had less hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Sadly, a few of its other scores in this category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aspen Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aspen Living Center, 7.02% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aspen Living Center, 1.09% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aspen Living Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of patients who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of facilities with lower levels of hygiene. Closer supervision can reduce the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. We want to point out that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aspen Living Center, 22.08% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications are used for treating several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aspen Living Center, 23.46% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents who are prescribed antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally prescribed to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aspen Living Center, 4.1% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term care patients showing signs of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aspen Living Center, 99.64% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents who were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aspen Living Center, 8.91% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of needing for assistance with ADL's may indicate the deterioration of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aspen Living Center, 9.76% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients who maintained mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Aspen Living Center, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric measures the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aspen Living Center, 9.76% of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Colorado Springs, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Colorado Springs, Colorado has 19 other nursing homes
- Cedar Springs Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 2.18 miles away2135 Southgate Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80906Proprietary(719) 633-4114
- University Colo Health Memorial Hospital CentralAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away1400 E Boulder St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909Government - Local(719) 365-5000
- Centura Health-Penrose-St Francis Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away2222 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs Colorado 80907Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 776-5000
- Uchealth Grandview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away5623 Pulpit Peak View Colorado Springs Colorado 80918Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 272-3623
- Uchealth Pikes Peak Regional HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.75 miles away16420 West Highway 24 Woodland Park Colorado 80863Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 687-9999
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs South (Fmc)1.44 miles away2508 Airport Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (719) 227-7455
- Printers Place Dialysis Center (Dva)1.56 miles away2802 International Cir Colorado Springs Colorado 80910Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 630-0602
- Pikes Peak Dialysis Center (Dva)3.62 miles away2002 Lelaray St Ste 130 Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (719) 471-4615
- Liberty Dialysis Colorado Springs Central (Fmc)3.64 miles away1910 E Lelaray St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (719) 380-4878
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs North (Fmc)7.94 miles away2180 Hollowbrook Dr Colorado Springs Colorado 80918CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 593-2999
- North Colorado Springs Dialysis (Dva)9.76 miles away6071 E Woodmen Rd Ste 100/120 Colorado Springs Colorado 80923Dialysis Stations: 15 (719) 638-1223