Aspen Living Center is an average-sized nursing home located in Colorado Springs, Colorado. We gave this nursing home an overall grade of C. A score in this range requires some solid marks. This grade is not too far off the city grade for Colorado Springs, which is a B-. One of the better aspects of this nursing home's report card is its strong nursing score, which you can find in the next paragraph.
Aspen Living Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's nursing grade was notably better than its overall grade. With a strong performance in this category, it earned a quality score in that category with a B+. We weighed the skill-level of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the number of hours those nurses spent with patients, in computing our grade in this category. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Another one of this nursing home's better category grades was in the category of short-term care. In that category, we gave this facility a B. It actually performed better than most facilities in this area. Short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This means a wide spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. On the other hand, based on the information this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last datapoint we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Aspen Living Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was given its third best category score in the area of long-term care. We gave this nursing home a grade of C in this area, which is a reasonably acceptable score. Our long-term care ratings are critical for prospective residents seeking non-healthcare services such as personal care. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination statistics. We were concerned by the fact that this nursing home vaccinated just 83.91304 percent of its patients for pneumonia. Nevertheless, this place was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Moving on the last category of inspections, this nursing home really did not fare well. Sadly, it received an F in this category. This pulled this nursing home's overall grade down as we heavily weight this category. You should pay special attention to any deficiencies on a facility's inspection reports when it receives this poor of an inspection grade. We suggest you scrutinize the level of severity of the deficiencies. This nursing home had a category G through L deficiency, which rank among the more severe deficiencies. These categories indicate that the deficiencies found by the government inspectors had the potential to cause actual harm to residents. Finally, we also want to draw your attention to the fact that this nursing home was assessed significant government fines in recent years totaling over $100,000. This usually means that a facility's bad performance spanned several years.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aspen Living Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aspen Living Center, 5.86% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin due to staying in one position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aspen Living Center, 3.47% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percent of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often the result of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aspen Living Center, 2.14% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aspen Living Center, 17.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may indicate a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aspen Living Center, 12.24% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aspen Living Center, 3.81% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aspen Living Center, 84.99% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aspen Living Center, 15.45% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aspen Living Center, 19.26% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aspen Living Center, 19.26 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aspen Living Center, 75.71% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percent of short-term residents who experienced functional improvements.
Scores for Colorado Springs, CO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Colorado Springs, Colorado has 20 other nursing homes
- Cedar Springs Behavioral Health SystemPsychiatric 2.18 miles away2135 Southgate Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80906Proprietary(719) 633-4114
- University Colo Health Memorial Hospital CentralAcute Care Hospitals 2.56 miles away1400 E Boulder St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909Government - Local(719) 365-5000
- Centura Health-Penrose-St Francis Health ServicesAcute Care Hospitals 4.7 miles away2222 North Nevada Ave Colorado Springs Colorado 80907Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 776-5000
- Uchealth Grandview HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.49 miles away5623 Pulpit Peak View Colorado Springs Colorado 80918Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 272-3623
- Uchealth Pikes Peak Regional HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 19.75 miles away16420 West Highway 24 Woodland Park Colorado 80863Voluntary non-profit - Private(719) 687-9999
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs South (Fmc)1.44 miles away2508 Airport Rd Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (719) 227-7455
- Printers Place Dialysis Center (Dva)1.56 miles away2802 International Cir Colorado Springs Colorado 80910Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 630-0602
- Pikes Peak Dialysis Center (Dva)3.62 miles away2002 Lelaray St Ste 130 Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 43 (719) 471-4615
- Liberty Dialysis Colorado Springs Central (Fmc)3.64 miles away1910 E Lelaray St Colorado Springs Colorado 80909CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (719) 380-4878
- Liberty Dialysis - Colorado Springs North (Fmc)7.94 miles away2180 Hollowbrook Dr Colorado Springs Colorado 80918CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (719) 593-2999
- North Colorado Springs Dialysis (Dva)9.76 miles away6071 E Woodmen Rd Ste 100/120 Colorado Springs Colorado 80923Dialysis Stations: 15 (719) 638-1223