Ashford Hall is a nursing home in Irving, Texas. This city has a total of 217,883 people. Sporting an overall grade of C, this appears to be a decent nursing home. This grade isn't too far off the city grade for Irving, which is a B-. This nursing home was stronger in some categories than others, but it didn't have any weak links in any of the major areas discussed below. More information about these categories can be found below.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
2021 Shoaf Dr,
Irving TX 75061
18.09% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility received a decent overall score, its inspections score is notably more impressive than its overall score. Due to a strong inspection report this year, it received one of our better scores in that category with a B+. Our inspection grades weigh several factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher scores in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. While this nursing home had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
One of this facility's more favorable category scores came in the category of long-term care. This wound up being its second best category. In that area, we gave this nursing home a B-. Long-term care grades assess a nursing home's assistance with daily living rather than the skilled nursing and healthcare services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to discover that this facility vaccinated 99.18367 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Finally, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Does this page answer your questions about Ashford Hall?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's next highest area ended up being its short-term care score, where it was awarded a grade of B-. In our short-term care rating, we endeavor to create a fair gauge for rehabilitation services. In this process, we assess a nursing home's levels of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, we found that this place provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The tricky part is determining what effect this had on the quality of care. The last measure we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Moving on to our fourth category, this facility was awarded a C for nursing, which we consider to be a respectable rating. In determining a facility's nursing rating, we look at the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the level of licensure of the nurses. This nursing home averages just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home surprisingly excelled in some of the quality measures we assessed. In fact, it performed well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ashford Hall Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ashford Hall, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients that suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ashford Hall, 3.33% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a fall which resulted in severe injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ashford Hall, 1.51% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint gauges the percent of long-term stay patients who had a UTI. While a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare between facilities due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ashford Hall, 11.48% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percent of long-term residents taking antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may indicate a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ashford Hall, 22.56% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety medications. These drugs are commonly used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ashford Hall, 4.81% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Many believe that this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ashford Hall, 94.64% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ashford Hall, 17.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ashford Hall, 16.36% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that the ability to move around is important for residents' well-being.
In Ashford Hall, 1.67 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ashford Hall, 16.36 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and a nursing homes short-term rehabilitation performance.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ashford Hall, 11.4 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the emergency room and the overall quality of care.
Scores for Irving, TX
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Irving, Texas has 5 other nursing homes
- Baylor Medical Center at IrvingAcute Care Hospitals 0.7 miles away1901 N Macarthur Blvd Irving Texas 75061Voluntary non-profit - Private(972) 579-8100
- Pine Creek Medical Center LlpAcute Care Hospitals 4.59 miles away9032 Harry Hines Blvd Dallas Texas 75235Proprietary(214) 231-2273
- Medical City Las ColinasAcute Care Hospitals 4.64 miles away6800 N Macarthur Blvd Irving Texas 75039Proprietary(972) 969-2000
- Baylor Surgical Hospital at Las ColinasAcute Care Hospitals 5.3 miles away400 West Interstate 635 Suite 101 Irving Texas 75063Proprietary(972) 868-4000
- Parkland Health and Hospital SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.62 miles away5200 Harry Hines Blvd Dallas Texas 75235Government - Hospital District or Authority(214) 590-8000
- Childrens Medical Ctr of DallasChildrens 6.69 miles away1935 Medical District Drive Dallas Texas 75235Voluntary non-profit - Private(214) 456-7000
- Dallas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.96 miles away7 Medical Parkway Dallas Texas 75234Proprietary(972) 247-1000
- Methodist Dallas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.82 miles away1441 North Beckley Avenue Dallas Texas 75203Voluntary non-profit - Other(214) 947-2879
- Ut Southwestern - Dallas Dialysis0.27 miles away204 East Airport Freeway Irving Texas 75062CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (972) 438-7375
- Liberty Dialysis Irving0.77 miles away1111 W Airport Freeway Suite 101 Irving Texas 75062Dialysis Stations: 25 (972) 746-4747
- Fresenius Medical Care Irving1.8 miles away1625 North Story Road Suite 140 Irving Texas 75061CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (972) 871-8282
- Irving Regional Dialysis Center LLC1.98 miles away2535 West Airport Fwy Irving Texas 75062Dialysis Stations: 24 (972) 252-1656
- Fmc Dialysis Services Southwestern4.36 miles away8700 N Stemmons Fwy Ste 135 Dallas Texas 75247Dialysis Stations: 5 (214) 951-7714
- Brookriver Dialysis4.66 miles away8101 Brookriver Drive Dallas Texas 75247CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (214) 951-7789
- Dialysis Care of Grand Prairie5.55 miles away402 N Carrier Parkway Suite 102 Grand Prairie Texas 75050Dialysis Stations: 13 (972) 264-2660
- Fmc of Forest Park6.18 miles away6010 Forest Park, Suite 100 Dallas Texas 75235CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 31 (214) 351-2833