Ashby Care Center is in Berkeley, California. We awarded this facility an A- overall grade, ranking it in the top quarter of all nursing homes in the United States. Based on our assessment, this place would be a no brainer for just about anybody. The best aspect of this facility's strong profile was its nursing rating. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Ashby Care Center
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Berkeley senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- No Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Individual
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Berkeley, California Awards 2019
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility excelled in our nursing rating. We awarded them an impressive grade of A+ in this category. Our nursing rating consists of several datapoints, most of which are tied to nursing hours. This facility provided 0.8 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This place performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
In addition, this facility also received a nearly flawless inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that area with a score of A. Arguably the most significant factor we consider in calculating our inspection scores is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes with higher grades in this area typically dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you that the government inspectors didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe made us feel better about this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Ashby Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a dominant short-term care score. This actually turned out to be its third most impressive category score. In that category, we awarded this facility a score of A-. Our short-term care grade is commonly used to judge a facility's performance with rehabilitation To provide high-end rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must provide higher levels of skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly trained professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the number of residents that eventually returned home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final category we graded was long-term care, in which this nursing home was given a grade of B-. Even though this proved to be its least impressive category score, this is still not a terrible score. In calculating our long-term care grades, we analyze the nursing home's personal care services. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination statistics. Unfortunately, this facility vaccinated a relatively low 31.25 percent of its patients against pneumonia. Nevertheless, this nursing home excelled at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ashby Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ashby Care Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of long-term care residents who have suffered a fall leading to serious injury. This is one of the statistics we use in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ashby Care Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes associated with poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ashby Care Center, 18.52% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ashby Care Center, 3.13% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of long-term care patients that are given antianxiety drugs. These medications are generally used to treat residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ashby Care Center, 3.12% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ashby Care Center, 60.07% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
- Alta Bates Summit Medical Center - Alta Bates CampAcute Care Hospitals 0.24 miles away2450 Ashby Avenue Berkeley California 94705Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 204-4444
- Children's Hospital & Research Center OaklandChildrens 1.32 miles away747 52nd Street Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 428-3000
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - Oakland/RichmondAcute Care Hospitals 2.24 miles away275 West Macarthur Boulevard Oakland California 94611Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 752-1000
- Alta Bates Summit Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.44 miles away350 Hawthorne Avenue Oakland California 94609Voluntary non-profit - Private(510) 655-4000
- Highland HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.31 miles away1411 East 31st Street Oakland California 94602Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 437-4800
- Alameda HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.47 miles away2070 Clinton Avenue Alameda California 94501Government - Hospital District or Authority(510) 522-3700
- Chinese HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.95 miles away845 Jackson St San Francisco California 94133Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 982-2400
- Saint Francis Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 9.52 miles away900 Hyde St San Francisco California 94109Voluntary non-profit - Private(415) 353-6000
- Berkeley Dialysis Center0.42 miles away2655 Shattuck Ave Berkeley California 94704CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (510) 486-8706
- Oakland Dialysis Center1.09 miles away5354 Claremont Avenue Oakland California 94618CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 40 (510) 597-0104
- Rai Piedmont1.29 miles away2710 Telegraph Avenue Suite #100 Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (510) 286-9948
- Us Renal Care Berkeley1.61 miles away2895 7th Street Berkeley California 94710Dialysis Stations: 24 (510) 843-0627
- Satellite Dialysis Oakland2.36 miles away3330 Telegraph Ave Oakland California 94609CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 433-8340
- Wellbound of Emeryville2.62 miles away2000 Powell Street Suite 140 Emeryville California 94608Dialysis Stations: 4 (510) 985-9660
- Rai Peralta2.72 miles away2757 Telegraph Avenue Oakland California 94612CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (510) 835-0154
- El Cerrito Dialysis Center5.23 miles away10690 San Pablo Avenue El Cerrito California 94530CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (510) 528-9590