Asbury Heights is just one of 13 options in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. We awarded this facility an overall grade of C. A score of this caliber requires some respectable marks. We wanted to point out that Pittsburgh received a city grade of B, so you may wish to look at other options in the city as well. This facility didn't meet our expectations in every category we looked at, but it did not receive any rock-bottom grades either. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Pittsburgh senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
On top of having a decent overall score, we also wanted to point out that this facility received favorable nursing marks this year. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a B+. This proved to be the facility's top grade. Nursing scores are based in large part on quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility Pennsylvania in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can frequently be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a policy of moving a resident at least once a day.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, we awarded this facility a B in our short-term care category. This is one of our higher scores. Our short-term care grade is generally employed to score a facility's performance with rehabilitation. To offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to offer higher levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other licensed professionals. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, according to the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The last measure we assessed in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that 4.4 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Asbury Heights?
This facility's inspection rating was yet another category grade that was superior to the nursing home's overall grade. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a B. Inspection ratings weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these factors by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. A couple minor deficiencies shouldn't stop you from considering a nursing home.
Long-term Care Quality
Switching gears to the last area, we gave this facility a grade of D in the area of long-term care. This was the nursing home's least impressive category rating. Nursing homes that receive this kind of score in long-term care likely don't provide the kind of consistent 24/7 care that some other nursing homes provide. In addition to considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Frankly, we were a bit alarmed this nursing home gave the vaccine to just 75.66845 percent of its patients. Surprisingly, this nursing home was actually decent at keeping its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. This was its best feature in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Asbury Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Asbury Heights, 7.47% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are routinely the result of residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing protocols can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Asbury Heights, 7.22% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are considered by many experts to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care . Major falls are often caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Asbury Heights, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained UTI's. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. However, this statistic could be misleading for some nursing homes due to different reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Asbury Heights, 24.32% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Asbury Heights, 8.86% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure measures the percent of long-term care patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Asbury Heights, 3.09% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Asbury Heights, 86.22% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Asbury Heights, 18.97% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could indicate deterioration of a resident's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Asbury Heights, 15.5% of Residents
This tells you the percent of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Retaining mobility is often a great sign for residents' health.
In Asbury Heights, 0.01 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Asbury Heights, 15.5% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Asbury Heights, 15.39% of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is usually a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Asbury Heights, 83.15% of Resident
This indicates the percentage of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. High levels of performance with ADL's often correlates with better rehabilitation.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 12 other nursing homes
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.54 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.51 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.53 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Liberty Dialysis - Banksville1.85 miles away2875 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (412) 343-3060
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Banksville1.98 miles away2727 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (412) 341-7410
- Davita - Bethel Park2.52 miles away6000 Alicia Drive Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 4 (412) 833-2612
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Hills2.9 miles away4651 Library Road Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 835-1229
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Three Rivers5.51 miles away1401 Forbes Avenue, Suite 250 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 281-8233
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis5.53 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Ara - Dialysis Unit at Ohio Valley Hospital LLC5.85 miles awayMedical Arts Building 27 Heckel Road, Suite 113 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 331-2423
- Total Renal Care Inc5.85 miles away5888 Steubenville Pike, Suite 4 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 5 (412) 787-0314