Asbury Heights looks like it is one of a list of 29 nursing homes in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. This city has more options to choose from compared to most areas in the state. We awarded this nursing home an overall grade of D. A score in this range generally indicates a few red flags. Based on our assessment, this facility may not be the best fit for most people. The only positive thing we can say about this place is that it didn't receive any F's in any of the categories we assessed. More information about its category grades is available below.
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
700 Bower Hill Road,
Pittsburgh PA 15243
78.05% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Asbury Heights has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Church related
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
Although we did not rate this nursing home well overall, we wanted to note its decent government inspection reports in recent years. We awarded it a relatively respectable score of B- in that area. Inspection ratings are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
We also ended up giving this facility a fairly respectable grade in the area of nursing, where it received a grade of B-. Nursing scores are mostly based on the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a low total compared to most other facilities. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics. While this nursing home got docked a bit for nursing hours, it excelled in some of these quality-based metrics. With less than five percent of its patients suffering from pressure ulcers, it performed well in this area. This is generally an indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can many times be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by having a system of moving patients more frequently.
Does this page answer your questions about Asbury Heights?
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home's third most favorable category ended up being its short-term care score, where it was given a B-. Our short-term care grades are based in part on a nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled highly skilled professionals. This includes a wide spectrum of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. In this facility's case, we were surprised to learn that it actually provides less physical therapist and registered nurse hours per patient than a typical facility. The hope is always that this does not adversely impact the quality of care. The final datapoint we considered in this area is the number of patients who returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 4.4 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Long-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was long-term care. This nursing home was awarded a grade of C for the area. Our long-term care grades are more meaningful for residents needing more traditional assistance related to personal care. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. We were a bit bothered by the fact that this nursing home administered the vaccine to only 57.34072 percent of its residents. Nevertheless, this nursing home was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Asbury Heights Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Asbury Heights, 7.59% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This gauges the percentage of long-term stay residents who developed new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Asbury Heights, 3.37% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who sustained falls which caused severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Asbury Heights, 1.9% of Patients had UTIs
This metric is an indication of the percent of long-term residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's could be a sign of lower quality nursing care. However, this datapoint may also be skewed for certain nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Asbury Heights, 15.54% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric measures the percent of long-term stay residents that are given antipsychotic medication. Increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such medications aren't medically indicated. Nevertheless, some facilities need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Asbury Heights, 19.74% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Asbury Heights, 3.12% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Asbury Heights, 88.22% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Asbury Heights, 14.84% Percentage of Patients
This is the percent of patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's may be a sign of decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Asbury Heights, 21.64% Percentage of Residents
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care patients that maintained mobility. Some believe that mobility is critical to residents' mental and physical well-being.
In Asbury Heights, 1.31 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. Keeping residents out of the hospital is critical to the physical health of nursing home residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Asbury Heights, 21.64 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Asbury Heights, 8.92 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Asbury Heights, 72.59% Percentage of Resident
This is the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with successful rehabilitation.
Scores for Pittsburgh, PA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania has 28 other nursing homes
- St Clair HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.54 miles away1000 Bower Hill Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15243Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 942-4000
- Upmc MercyAcute Care Hospitals 5.46 miles away1400 Locust Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 232-8111
- Allegheny General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.98 miles away320 East North Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15212Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 359-3131
- Magee Womens Hospital of Upmc Health SystemAcute Care Hospitals 6.51 miles away300 Halket Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Other(412) 641-4010
- Ohio Valley General HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.53 miles away25 Heckel Road Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 777-6161
- Upmc Presbyterian ShadysideAcute Care Hospitals 6.67 miles away200 Lothrop Street Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15213Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 647-8788
- Jefferson HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.79 miles away565 Coal Valley Road Clairton Pennsylvania 15025Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 469-5000
- West Penn HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.19 miles away4800 Friendship Avenue Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15224Voluntary non-profit - Private(412) 578-5000
- Liberty Dialysis - Banksville1.85 miles away2875 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (412) 343-3060
- Dci Renal Services of Pittsburgh, LLC - Banksville1.98 miles away2727 Banksville Road Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15216CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 29 (412) 341-7410
- Davita - Bethel Park2.52 miles away6000 Alicia Drive Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 4 (412) 833-2612
- Fresenius Kidney Care - South Hills2.9 miles away4651 Library Road Bethel Park Pennsylvania 15102Dialysis Stations: 18 (412) 835-1229
- Fresenius Kidney Care - Three Rivers5.51 miles away1401 Forbes Avenue, Suite 250 Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15219Dialysis Stations: 16 (412) 281-8233
- Davita - Jefferson Dialysis5.53 miles away14 Clairton Boulevard Pittsburgh Pennsylvania 15236Dialysis Stations: 17 (412) 653-6007
- Ara - Dialysis Unit at Ohio Valley Hospital LLC5.85 miles awayMedical Arts Building 27 Heckel Road, Suite 113 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 14 (412) 331-2423
- Total Renal Care Inc5.85 miles away5888 Steubenville Pike, Suite 4 Mc Kees Rocks Pennsylvania 15136Dialysis Stations: 5 (412) 787-0314