Artesia Christian Home is a small non-profit facility in Artesia, California. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. In our view, this facility looks like a good fit for quite a few people. This place was better in some categories than others, but it didn't have any poor grades in any of the four major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Artesia Christian Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to earning a great overall score, this nursing home fared even better in the area of inspections which is associated with the nursing home's recent inspection reports. In fact, we gave it a grade of A for this category, which is one of our best scores. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can find more information about each of these items by reviewing copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
One of the other reasons we graded this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing grade. In that category, we gave this nursing home an A-. We analyzed the levels of nurses at the nursing home, as well as the number of hours those nurses were with residents, in computing our rating in this category. This nursing home averages 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Does this page answer your questions about Artesia Christian Home?
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to another strength for this facility, we gave them one of our more positive scores in our short-term care category as well, with a grade of B+. In the area of short-term care, we try to assess indicators of a nursing home's rehabilitation services. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. We were not able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The last item we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately returned home from the nursing home. We found that 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the facility on a permanent basis.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we assessed is long-term care. We awarded this facility a decent score in this category, with a grade of C. Although this wasn't as high as several of this facility's other grades, it is still not a major area of concern. Our long-term care scores are more important for those in need of more traditional assistance associated with personal care. In addition to considering the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This nursing home provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients. Finally, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Artesia Christian Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Artesia Christian Home, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are skin damage resulting from remaining in the same position for an excessive period of time.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Artesia Christian Home, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients who sustained a fall resulting in severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls may be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Artesia Christian Home, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely associated with nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Additional nurse staffing minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this statistic is affected by by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Artesia Christian Home, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Artesia Christian Home, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care patients which are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Artesia Christian Home, 4.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Artesia Christian Home, 95.72% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Artesia Christian Home, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating. Some experts would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Artesia Christian Home, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
In Artesia Christian Home, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Artesia Christian Home, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Artesia Christian Home, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.99 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Davita-Cerritos Dialysis0.62 miles away19222 Pioneer Blvd., Suite 101 Cerritos California 90703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 924-9990
- Davita-Bellflower Dialysis Center2.48 miles away15736 Woodruff Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 804-3099
- Davita-South Cerritos Dialysis2.51 miles away12191 226th Street Hawaiian Gardens California 90716Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 421-6890
- Fmc-Bellflower3.12 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Davita-Firestone Blvd. Dialysis3.17 miles away11913 Firestone Blvd. Norwalk California 90650Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 863-2127
- Fmc-Norwalk East3.44 miles away13063 Rosecrans Avenue Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (562) 404-7400
- Davita-Artesia Home Training3.5 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084
- Davita-La Palma Dialysis3.63 miles away7880 Valley View St. Buena Park California 90620CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (714) 670-6791