Artesia Christian Home is a small non-profit facility in Artesia, California. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this nursing home should work for most prospective patients. In our view, this facility looks like a good fit for quite a few people. This place's impressive profile was highlighted by its inspection reports, which is addressed in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Artesia Christian Home
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on Artesia senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Artesia, California Awards 2019
Best Nursing Home in Artesia, California Awards 2020
Best Nursing Home in Artesia, California Awards 2021
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a quality facility overall, this facility especially excelled in our inspections category, where it earned a grade of A-. Not many nursing homes fared better in that category. Inspection ratings are tied to several pieces of information located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Places that score well in this area tend to have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This particular nursing home had just a single deficiency on its inspection report and it was not one deemed to pose a threat to patient health or safety. Even some of the best nursing homes receive an occasional ding on their inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Additionally, this nursing home also was awarded favorable short-term care scores this year. In fact, we gave them one of our stronger grades in that category, with a grade of B+. Our short-term care grade is often used to score a facility's rehabilitation services. In order to have highly graded rehabilitation services, facilities generally must offer higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other types of therapists. It does not look like this nursing home provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Lastly, we considered the number of patients that were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Artesia Christian Home?
Another one of this facility's impressive category grades came in the area of nursing care. We awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a grade of B. Nursing grades are heavily correlated with nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving residents more often.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we looked at was long-term care, where this nursing home was awarded a B. This nursing home turned out to be very solid in each category we looked at. When nursing homes receive a score in this range in this category it typically means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. After looking at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination data. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients for pneumonia, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Artesia Christian Home Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Artesia Christian Home, 7.41% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of residents who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by remaining in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Artesia Christian Home, 4.76% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who suffered from a major fall. Falls resulting in major injuries are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing protocols can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Artesia Christian Home, 1.81% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a barometer of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. UTI's are routinely associated with a nursing home with worse hygiene protocols. Nevertheless, this statistic could be skewed for some facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Artesia Christian Home, 15.34% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure is a measure of the percent of long-term residents which were administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically required. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these drugs due to having more patients with dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Artesia Christian Home, 13.33% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This measures the percent of long-term care patients which are administered antianxiety drugs. These drugs are generally prescribed to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Artesia Christian Home, 5.77% of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients exhibiting signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of resident quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Artesia Christian Home, 100% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Artesia Christian Home, 7.63% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as dressing and eating. Some experts would argue this is a measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Artesia Christian Home, 8.45% of Residents
Measures the percent of long-term patients who retained mobility levels.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Artesia Christian Home, 8.45% of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric tracks the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Artesia Christian Home, 73.81% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Coast Plaza HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.33 miles away13100 Studerbaker Road Norwalk California 90650Proprietary(310) 356-0550
- Lakewood Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away3700 E South St Lakewood California 90712Proprietary(562) 602-6751
- Los Alamitos Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away3751 Katella Avenue Los Alamitos California 90720Proprietary(562) 799-3220
- Pih Hospital - DowneyAcute Care Hospitals 5.55 miles away11500 Brookshire Avenue Downey California 90241Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 904-5000
- West Anaheim Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.99 miles away3033 W Orange Avenue Anaheim California 92804Proprietary(714) 827-3000
- College Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away2776 Pacific Avenue Long Beach California 90806Proprietary(562) 595-1911
- Pih Health Hospital-WhittierAcute Care Hospitals 7.31 miles away12401 Washington Blvd Whittier California 90602Voluntary non-profit - Private(526) 698-0811
- Whittier Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.4 miles away9080 Colima Rd Whittier California 90605Proprietary(562) 945-3561
- Davita-Cerritos Dialysis0.62 miles away19222 Pioneer Blvd., Suite 101 Cerritos California 90703CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (562) 924-9990
- Davita-Bellflower Dialysis Center2.48 miles away15736 Woodruff Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (562) 804-3099
- Davita-South Cerritos Dialysis2.51 miles away12191 226th Street Hawaiian Gardens California 90716Dialysis Stations: 16 (562) 421-6890
- Fmc-Bellflower3.12 miles away10116 Rosecrans Avenue Bellflower California 90706CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (562) 920-2070
- Davita-Firestone Blvd. Dialysis3.17 miles away11913 Firestone Blvd. Norwalk California 90650Dialysis Stations: 24 (562) 863-2127
- Fmc-Norwalk East3.44 miles away13063 Rosecrans Avenue Santa Fe Springs California 90670CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (562) 404-7400
- Davita-Artesia Home Training3.5 miles away16506 Lakewood Blvd, Suite 100 Bellflower California 90706Dialysis Stations: 8 (562) 920-4084
- Davita-La Palma Dialysis3.63 miles away7880 Valley View St. Buena Park California 90620CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (714) 670-6791