Arroyo Vista Nursing Center is a small nursing home located in San Diego, California. This is a quality nursing home with a B overall. This was right in line with the city grade in San Diego. In our view, this nursing home is a solid choice for quite a few people. We were also pleased to find that this nursing home did not have any weak links in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades is available below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Arroyo Vista Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on San Diego senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to performing well in its overall grade, this nursing home performed at an even higher level in the area of inspections. In fact, it received a nearly flawless inspection report this year. As a result, it received one of our highest grades in that category with a score of A. Perhaps the most important factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's inspection reports. Facilities with better scores in this area most likely dodged the more severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. This nursing home was hit with 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but fortunately none were considered to be severe. This means that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Another strong feature for this facility is that it received an impressive short-term care score. In fact, this proved to be its second best category score. In that category, we awarded this facility a B. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a facility's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. We weren't able to locate registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return home. We discovered that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Arroyo Vista Nursing Center?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of B-. This facility didn't perform quite as well in this category as it did in some other categories. Nevertheless, this is still a respectable score. We weighed the levels of nurses working for the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses worked with residents, in determining our score in this area. This nursing home averages just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low figure. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place surprisingly fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. It scored well when it comes to minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Long-term Care Quality
Turning to the final area, this nursing home was given a decent long-term care grade of B-. Our long-term care ratings are vital for residents needing personal care. On top of considering the amount of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is an above average percentage. Lastly, this nursing home was also able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arroyo Vista Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 1.54% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin resulting from staying in the same position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a fall leading to serious injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 1.33% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are routinely the result of nursing homes with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can minimize the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 1.45% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure tells you the percent of long-term patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 1.39% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term residents which were given antianxiety medication. These drugs are prescribed to residents suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 1.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry would argue that this is a measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 100% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients that were given the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient health.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 6.94% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 6.85% of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents that maintained mobility.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 6.85% of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 6.02% of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 84.4% of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percentage of short-term residents that saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many would argue this is a measure of a facility's rehabilitation performance.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 19 other nursing homes
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.71 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.99 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East1.88 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Fmc-Raven1.91 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis1.92 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Davita-San Diego East2.2 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College2.67 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Davita-College Dialysis2.71 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis3.91 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Ucsd Dialysis Center3.94 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646