Arroyo Vista Nursing Center is a small nursing home located in San Diego, California. We gave this nursing home an overall score of A-, making it one of the ten best facilities in the city. This is just about as good of a place as you're going to find. This place also received consistently good scores in all of the major categories. Additional information about its category grades can be found below.
Arroyo Vista Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Lymphedema Care
Registered Staff Hours
On top of receiving a strong overall score, this nursing home also performed well in our inspections category, which is based on its inspection reports. We gave it an A in that category. Inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can find more information about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none were considered to be major deficiencies. This indicates that the inspectors did not consider any of these deficiencies to create an immediate threat to patient health or safety. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its elite resume, this nursing home also performed well in our short-term care category. In fact, we gave it a grade of A- for the category. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We look at a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this facility has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of patients who were able to return to the community from this nursing home. We found that 5.7 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Arroyo Vista Nursing Center?
Adding to its strong resume, this facility also received an excellent nursing score, with a grade of A-. In calculating our nursing scores, we weigh both nursing hours and the levels of licensure of the nurses. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the state in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can typically be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a system of moving a patient more frequently.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we analyzed is long-term care, in which this facility received a B. Although this turned out to be its least impressive category grade, this is still an impressive rating. Facilities that excel in this category tend to provide residents with closer supervision and stay on top of routine healthcare services. Once we assessed the amount of nursing care, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which is what we like to see. Pneumonia is too frequently a deadly ailment for nursing home residents so we like it when a facility doesn't leave this to chance. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arroyo Vista Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often caused by residents staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care limits the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to severe injuries are considered by many experts to be an indicator of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of patients who suffered from a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often associated with worse hygiene protocols. Better hygiene protocols can limit the percentage of residents in a nursing home who suffer from UTI's. Keep in mind that this metric is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have different reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure indicates the percent of long-term care patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In some cases, excessive reliance on these medications may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be deadly for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percent of residents that remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is often a good sign for residents' well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care. There is generally a correlation between keeping patients out of the hospital and a nursing home's quality of short-term rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Arroyo Vista Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term care residents who saw functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some experts would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Diego, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Diego, California has 20 other nursing homes
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 2.71 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.63 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.83 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 3.85 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.15 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Sharp Coronado Hospital and Hlthcr CtrAcute Care Hospitals 4.99 miles away250 Prospect Place Coronado California 92118Proprietary(619) 435-6251
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Fmc-Gateway Dialysis Center-East1.88 miles away720 Gateway Center Drive, Suite B San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 264-4100
- Fmc-Raven1.91 miles away499 Raven Street San Diego California 92102Dialysis Stations: 31 (619) 263-1518
- Davita-San Diego South Dialysis1.92 miles away995 Gateway Center Way, Suite 101 San Diego California 92102CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 17 (619) 262-1960
- Davita-San Diego East2.2 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College2.67 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Davita-College Dialysis2.71 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Hillcrest Dialysis3.91 miles away3960 Third Avenue San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 299-3900
- Ucsd Dialysis Center3.94 miles awayUcsd Dialysis Center - 200 W. Arbor Drive Dialysis Program, Mail Code 8781 San Diego California 92103CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (619) 543-5646