Arrowhead Healthcare Center is in San Bernardino, California, a city with a total of 236,660 people. Sporting an overall rating of B-, this is likely a middle of the road nursing home. Based on our assessment, this facility is a good fit for quite a few people. This facility is better in some categories than others, but it did not have any weak links in any of the major categories. More information about these categories can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Arrowhead Healthcare Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on San Bernardino senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
This facility's overall grade was bolstered by the fact that it has received favorable government inspections in recent years. We awarded it one of our better scores in this category, with a B+. This is a much better score than the facility's overall score. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in determining our inspection grades. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some end up being quite insignificant. While this nursing home had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in this industry.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a positive long-term care grade. In fact, we gave them a grade of B+ in this category, which happens to be one of our better. When nursing homes receive this type of grade in long-term care it is typically a good sign for resident care and indicates that the nursing home is well-staffed with nurses and aids. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the facility's vaccination records. This nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients healthy. Lastly, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Arrowhead Healthcare Center?
Another reason we rated this facility so highly is that it received an A+ nursing rating. Nursing scores are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our final category, this nursing home received a grade of C for short-term care, which we consider to be a decent rating. Short-term care grades are generally employed to assess a facility's performance with rehabilitation. In order to provide highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must have better levels of highly skilled nursing. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, speech therapists and other highly skilled individuals. It doesn't look like this facility submitted information on registered nurse or physical therapist staffing. The last item we considered in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arrowhead Healthcare Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This measures the percentage of long-term residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 1.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percent of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Falls are routinely caused by lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 1.34% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percent of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. UTI's are routinely associated with poor nursing care. Better hygiene protocols can limit the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this statistic is sometimes skewed by the fact that facilities have varying reporting standards for urinary tract infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 10.3% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These drugs are sometimes used for several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 13.84% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are prescribed antianxiety drugs. These medications are commonly given to patients experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 5.83% of Patients
This indicates the percent of patients showing symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 95.65% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 8.26% Percentage of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 10.41% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arrowhead Healthcare Center, 10.41 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is typically a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of rehabilitation services.
Scores for San Bernardino, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? San Bernardino, California has 5 other nursing homes
- St Bernardine Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.35 miles away2101 N Waterman Ave San Bernardino California 92404Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 883-8711
- Community Hospital of San BernardinoAcute Care Hospitals 3.28 miles away1805 Medical Center Drive San Bernardino California 92411Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 887-6333
- Arrowhead Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.55 miles away400 North Pepper Avenue Colton California 92324Government - Local(909) 580-1000
- Loma Linda University Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.33 miles away11234 Anderson St Loma Linda California 92354Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 558-4000
- Mountains Community HospitalCritical Access Hospitals 9.45 miles away29101 Hospital Road Lake Arrowhead California 92352Government - Hospital District or Authority(909) 336-3651
- Redlands Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 10.1 miles away350 Terracina Blvd Redlands California 92373Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 335-5500
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital FontanaAcute Care Hospitals 10.64 miles away9961 Sierra Ave Fontana California 92335Voluntary non-profit - Private(909) 427-5500
- Riverside Community HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.25 miles away4445 Magnolia Avenue Riverside California 92501Proprietary(951) 788-3000
- Davita-Mountain Vista Dialysis Center2.67 miles away4041 University Parkway San Bernardino California 92407CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (909) 887-0173
- Fmc-Rai-North Waterman-San Bernardino2.86 miles away1500 N. Waterman Avenue. Suite A San Bernardino California 92404CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (909) 381-1591
- Davita Serrano Dialysis3.31 miles away1800 Medical Center Dr. Suite 150 San Bernardino California 92411Dialysis Stations: 25 (909) 887-2717
- Fmc-Rai-North Riverside-Rialto5.43 miles away1850 N. Riverside Avenue, Suite 150 Rialto California 92376CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (909) 879-1185
- Fmc-San Bernardino6.64 miles away636 E. Brier Drive, Suite 150 San Bernardino California 92408CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (909) 890-9508
- Davita-Citrus Valley Dialysis6.67 miles away894 Hardt Street San Bernardino California 92408CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (909) 388-6608
- Davita-Highland Ranch Dialysis Center7.19 miles away7223 Church Street, Suite a-14 Highland California 92346CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (909) 862-9670
- Fmc-Rai-Care Centers of Colton, LLC7.33 miles away1275 W. "C" Street Colton California 92324CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (909) 430-0930