Armour Oaks Senior Living Community is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Kansas City, Missouri with a total of 545,147 people. With an overall grade of A-, this is undoubtedly a very impressive nursing home. This turned out to be one of the top five facilities in the city. This place's strong report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Armour Oaks Senior Living Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
One of the many reasons this turned out to be a great nursing home is that it received an A+ nursing grade. This is simply as good as it gets in this category. The nursing score assesses many factors, however, the main consideration is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, our nursing grades also factor in quality-based assessments, such as avoiding major falls. This nursing home performed well in this area. Avoiding major falls is typically a good indicator that a place has reliable quality controls in place. Major falls can typically be avoided if more nurses aids and better safety protocols are in place.
In addition, this facility also earned a nearly flawless government inspection report. As a result, it received one of our best grades in that area with an A-. Inspection scores account for a host of factors included in a facility's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the quantity and severity of deficiencies. Places with higher grades in this area typically have very few of these severe deficiencies. Although this facility had a few deficiencies on its inspection report, none of them were serious based on CMS' scale. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Does this page answer your questions about Armour Oaks Senior Living Community?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility is also strong in the area of long-term care, where it was given a grade of B+. It outperformed most facilities in this area. Long-term care grades in this range generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. On top of assessing the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we analyzed the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 98.888885 percent of its patients, which is much higher than most nursing homes. Clearly, this nursing home is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. It had only 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The next area we scored was short-term care. This facility was awarded a strong nursing score in our assessment, with a B. Even though this was not quite as strong as some of its other scores, this is nevertheless one of the more favorable grades in this area. Short-term care grades are based in part on the facility's quantity of highly-skilled nursing services. This includes a broad spectrum of nursing services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, in addition to other variations of therapy. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not every facility employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The last metric we considered in this area is the percentage of residents who ultimately were able to return home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Armour Oaks Senior Living Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 9.32% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term care residents who have pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This figure indicates the percentage of long-term stay patients which experienced falls which caused severe injury. We use this statistic in calculating our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 3.42% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's are often linked to lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care minimizes the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. Keep in mind that this datapoint is sometimes skewed by the fact that nursing homes have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 20.31% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are given to residents for a variety of conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Unfortunately, in limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 24.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents who were given antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 4.11% of Patients
This is the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 88.89% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of residents who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. High vaccination rates should be the norm at this point.
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 1.64 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of care. There is usually a correlation between reduced hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 28 other nursing homes
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.29 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 7.05 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Baptist1.03 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Swope Parkway1.03 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Kansas City Dialysis & Transplant Center2.63 miles away2340 E Meyer Blvd Building 1, Suite #100 Kansas City Missouri 64132CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (816) 444-2098
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph3.05 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis3.14 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Concerto Kansas, LLC4.09 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood4.34 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Swope Dialysis4.92 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201