Armour Oaks Senior Living Community is located in the densely populated metropolitan area of Kansas City, Missouri with a total of 545,147 people. With an overall grade of D, this is a subpar facility. Unfortunately, this grade isn't too far off the city grade for Kansas City, which is a C. Nevertheless, you still ought to be able to do better We wouldn't blame you if you are ready to stop reading and find another nursing home. However, if you want to learn more about this place's category grades, inspection reports are discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Armour Oaks Senior Living Community
- Nursing Home
- Independent Living
- Assisted Living
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Armour Oaks Senior Living Community has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Kansas City senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- Is CCRC
- No Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- Non profit - Corporation
- Offers Hospice
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not have many positive things to say about this place's overall grade, it earned a respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent score in that category with a score of B-. We weigh several aspects of a nursing home's inspection report in computing these inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of deficiencies is arguably more important than the number of deficiencies, as some deficiencies end up being relatively insignificant. This nursing home was assessed 6 deficiencies on its inspection report, but none were considered to be major deficiencies. This tells you that the inspectors did not deem any of these deficiencies to cause an immediate threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
One of the other reasons we graded this facility so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing score. Nursing proved to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this nursing home an B-. When computing our nursing scores, we weigh both the number of hours nurses spend with residents and the training levels of the nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, nursing scores also factor in quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this facility actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is usually a reliable indicator that a nursing home has sufficient quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility supplies enough nurses to assist its patients.
Does this page answer your questions about Armour Oaks Senior Living Community?
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's third highest category is short-term care. In that area, we awarded this facility a grade of B-. In forming our short-term care ratings, we analyze the facility's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our goal is to formulate a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of nursing homes. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. Lastly, we assessed the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care. We awarded this facility a C in this category. Our long-term care scores are more critical for folks in need of more conventional services associated with personal care. After considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. Candidly, we were a bit worried that this facility vaccinated 69.14893 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be several points lower than what we were hoping for. Fortunately, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Armour Oaks Senior Living Community Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 9.2% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many experts to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely caused by residents staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 3.84% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision. More supervision limits the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 3.29% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections may be linked to poor hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 20.12% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This figure measures the percentage of long-term stay patients receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic medications play an important role in caring for many residents, it is important to ensure these medications are being used appropriately. In limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate a facility is using these drugs to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 24.45% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric measures the percentage of long-term residents receiving antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 5.4% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents exhibiting signs of depression. Increased rates of depression could be an indicator lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 86.07% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for seniors, making these types of vaccines important for resident well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 13.34% Percentage of Residents
This indicates the percentage of patients that remained mobile levels over time. Preserving mobility is usually a great sign for residents' well-being.
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 1.86 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This datapoint measures the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Armour Oaks Senior Living Community, 13.34 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Kansas City, MO
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? Kansas City, Missouri has 18 other nursing homes
- Research Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.63 miles away2316 E Meyer Blvd Kansas City Missouri 64132Proprietary(816) 276-4000
- St Joseph Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.29 miles away1000 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Proprietary(816) 942-4400
- St Lukes Hospital of Kansas CityAcute Care Hospitals 4.48 miles away4401 Wornall Road Kansas City Missouri 64111Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 932-2000
- University of Kansas HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.16 miles away4000 Cambridge Street Kansas City Kansas 66160Government - Hospital District or Authority(913) 588-7332
- Adventhealth Shawnee MissionAcute Care Hospitals 5.31 miles away9100 W 74th Street Overland Park Kansas 66204Voluntary non-profit - Church(913) 676-2152
- Menorah Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.64 miles away5721 West 119th Street Leawood Kansas 66209Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 498-6773
- Saint Luke's South HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.56 miles away12300 Metcalf Avenue Overland Park Kansas 66213Voluntary non-profit - Other(913) 317-7904
- Childrens Mercy HospitalChildrens 7.05 miles away2401 Gillham Road Kansas City Missouri 64108Voluntary non-profit - Private(816) 234-3000
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Baptist1.03 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Swope Parkway1.03 miles away6530 Troost Ave Kansas City Missouri 64131Dialysis Stations: 24 (816) 363-8228
- Kansas City Dialysis & Transplant Center2.63 miles away2340 E Meyer Blvd Building 1, Suite #100 Kansas City Missouri 64132CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (816) 444-2098
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - Saint Joseph3.05 miles away650 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 38 (816) 941-0595
- Dialysis Clinics, Inc - State Line Dialysis3.14 miles away621 Carondelet Dr Kansas City Missouri 64114Dialysis Stations: 8 (816) 942-3650
- Concerto Kansas, LLC4.09 miles away6740 W 121st St Suite 100 Leawood Kansas 66209Dialysis Stations: 1 (913) 283-8063
- Rai - Rainbow Blvd - Westwood4.34 miles away4720 Rainbow Blvd Suite 200 Mission Kansas 66205CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 28 (913) 403-0441
- Swope Dialysis4.92 miles away4407 East 50th Terrace Kansas City Missouri 64130CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (816) 924-1201