Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock is one of five nursing homes located in North Little Rock, Arkansas. This is a quality nursing home. We gave this it an overall grade of B+, which is a well above average grade. This proved to be better than many of the nursing homes in North Little Rock. Scroll down to see this facility's category grades, which are also quite good. It's hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
To pair with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home an A for our nursing grade. The nursing score analyzes many subcategories, many of which are based on nursing hours. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the nation in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving residents even once per day.
Adding to its quality profile, this facility also received favorable health inspections in recent years. In fact, we awarded them one of our better scores in that area, with a B. Arguably the most important factor we consider in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a facility's inspection reports. Places with higher scores in this category most likely dodged the most severe deficiencies involving things like patient abuse. This facility was assessed 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This indicates that CMS didn't consider any of these deficiencies to be an immediate threat to resident health or safety. A couple minor dings aren't the end of the world.
Does this page answer your questions about Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock?
Short-term Care Quality
In addition, this nursing home also was awarded favorable short-term care grades in our assessment. In fact, we awarded them one of our better grades in that category, with a grade of B. In crafting these short-term care grades, we look at the facility's skilled nursing services, including those performed by registered nurses, respiratory therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. The objective is to create a tool for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it appear that this facility employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these skilled professionals. However, based on the information they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Finally, we considered the number of residents that ultimately were able to return home from this nursing home. We found that 0 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we scored is long-term care, where we gave it a strong grade of B. This facility really doesn't have any weak links. Long-term care scores in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. After considering the volume of care provided by nurses, we next considered the nursing home's vaccination statistics. This nursing home vaccinated 77.42857 percent of its residents for pneumonia. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we hoped for, this nursing home was able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 8.46% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are damage to the skin caused by staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 3.98% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injuries are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are often the result of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 2.34% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint tells you the percent of long-term residents that have suffered from a urinary tract infection. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it is difficult to compare between facilities due to reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 12.35% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a nursing home is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 21.53% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 2.09% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term residents demonstrating signs of depression. Many argue this is a reasonable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 95.41% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 12.37% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living may be a sign of the decline of a patient's medical condition.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 14.1% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents that were able to retain mobility over time. Preserving mobility can be a great sign for residents' health.
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 1.79 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is generally a correlation between avoiding hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 14.1 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Scores for North Little Rock, AR
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-plus
Looking for more options? North Little Rock, Arkansas has 4 other nursing homes
- Arkansas Children's HospitalChildrens 2.62 miles away1 Children's Way, Slot 301 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 364-1100
- Uams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away4301 West Markham Street Mail Slot 612 Little Rock Arkansas 72205Government - State(501) 686-5000
- Arkansas Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.58 miles away5201 North Shore Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72118Proprietary(501) 748-8000
- Baptist Health Medical Center North Little RockAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away3333 Springhill Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72117Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 202-3000
- Bridgeway Inc, ThePsychiatric 4.65 miles away21 Bridgeway Road Maumelle Arkansas 72113Proprietary(501) 771-1500
- St Vincent Medical Center/NorthAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away2215 Wildwood Avenue Sherwood Arkansas 72120Voluntary non-profit - Church(501) 552-7100
- Arkansas Heart Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away1701 S Shackleford Road Little Rock Arkansas 72211Proprietary(501) 219-7000
- North Metro Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.36 miles away1400 Braden Street Jacksonville Arkansas 72076Proprietary(501) 985-7000
- Arkansas Childrens Hospital-Dialysis3.13 miles away1 Childrens Way-Slot 204 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Dialysis Stations: 7 (501) 364-1813
- Fmcna - East Little Rock3.68 miles away5320 West 12th St Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 660-7867
- Davita - North Little Rock Dialysis Ctr4.03 miles away4505 E Mccain Blvd North Little Rock Arkansas 72117CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (501) 945-2323
- Davita - Little Rock Dialysis4.61 miles away6 Freeway Drive Suite 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 664-6754
- Fmcna - Little Rock Dialysis4.85 miles away10310 W Markham Ste 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 225-3890
- Arkansas Staff Assisted Hemodialysis Clinic5.46 miles away9421 West Markham Suite B Little Rock Arkansas 72205Dialysis Stations: 4 (501) 217-3888
- Davita - Little Rock Midtown Dialysis5.59 miles away#2 Lile Ct Ste 102 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (501) 221-3123
- Westside Dialysis Unit LLC5.6 miles away1515 Kanis Park Dr Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 16 (501) 379-9208