Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock is one of four nursing homes located in North Little Rock, Arkansas. It looks like this nursing home is one of the better nursing homes we assessed. A grade in this range requires first-rate marks across the board. Indeed, this nursing home especially stood out in North Little Rock, where we rated it substantially ahead of virtually all of the other facilities in the city. Keep reading to see this nursing home's category ratings, which are also quite good. It is hard to poke holes in this place's profile.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock
- Nursing Home
- For people with disabilities
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on North Little Rock senior living options.Get Pricing
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Nursing grades are based in large part on nurse staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This facility performed very well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. Our inspection grades weigh a host of factors included in a nursing home's inspection report. One of the most important criteria we consider is the number and severity of deficiencies. Facilities with higher scores in this area generally have very few severe deficiencies. While this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. Remember that deficiency-free inspections are uncommon in the industry.
Does this page answer your questions about Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock?
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we looked at was long-term care. This facility was given a favorable long-term care grade, with a grade of B+ in this category. Facilities that receive this kind of score in this category typically provide consistent around the clock care to make sure residents are kept in good health. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the number of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 89.972145 percent of its residents, which is a few points lower than we expected. Clearly, this facility is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Short-term Care Quality
The last category we analyzed was short-term care, in which this nursing home received a B. Even though this ended up being its poorest category score, this is still an above average grade. In the category of short-term care, we try to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess a nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data they provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. Lastly, we considered the percentage of patients who who were able to eventually return home from this facility. We found that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 8.4% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term patients who suffered from new or worsened pressure ulcers. We've found that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of the quality of nursing care a facility provides.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 4.03% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients which had falls leading to severe injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 2.26% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who sustained urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections could reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to nursing homes having varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 12.36% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, including cognitive disorders. Tragically, in limited situations, excessive reliance on these medications may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 21.54% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents experiencing depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 2.24% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are exhibiting depressive symptoms. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 95.33% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients that have received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home patients, making these vaccines indispensable.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 12.13% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. High levels of dependence on staff for assistance with activities of daily living could be a sign of decline of a resident's health.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 10.57% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' well-being.
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 1.97 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arkansas State Veterans Home at North Little Rock, 10.57 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of times residents are rehospitalized per 1,000 days of short-term care.
Scores for North Little Rock, AR
- Overall Rating has a grade of D
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B
Looking for more options? North Little Rock, Arkansas has 3 other nursing homes
- Arkansas Children's HospitalChildrens 2.62 miles away1 Children's Way, Slot 301 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 364-1100
- Uams Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.7 miles away4301 West Markham Street Mail Slot 612 Little Rock Arkansas 72205Government - State(501) 686-5000
- Arkansas Surgical HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.58 miles away5201 North Shore Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72118Proprietary(501) 748-8000
- Baptist Health Medical Center North Little RockAcute Care Hospitals 4.06 miles away3333 Springhill Drive North Little Rock Arkansas 72117Voluntary non-profit - Private(501) 202-3000
- Bridgeway Inc, ThePsychiatric 4.65 miles away21 Bridgeway Road Maumelle Arkansas 72113Proprietary(501) 771-1500
- St Vincent Medical Center/NorthAcute Care Hospitals 5.24 miles away2215 Wildwood Avenue Sherwood Arkansas 72120Voluntary non-profit - Church(501) 552-7100
- Arkansas Heart Hospital, LLCAcute Care Hospitals 6.64 miles away1701 S Shackleford Road Little Rock Arkansas 72211Proprietary(501) 219-7000
- North Metro Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.36 miles away1400 Braden Street Jacksonville Arkansas 72076Proprietary(501) 985-7000
- Arkansas Childrens Hospital-Dialysis3.13 miles away1 Childrens Way-Slot 204 Little Rock Arkansas 72202Dialysis Stations: 7 (501) 364-1813
- Fmcna - East Little Rock3.68 miles away5320 West 12th St Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (501) 660-7867
- Davita - North Little Rock Dialysis Ctr4.03 miles away4505 E Mccain Blvd North Little Rock Arkansas 72117CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (501) 945-2323
- Davita - Little Rock Dialysis4.61 miles away6 Freeway Drive Suite 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72204CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 664-6754
- Fmcna - Little Rock Dialysis4.85 miles away10310 W Markham Ste 100 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (501) 225-3890
- Arkansas Staff Assisted Hemodialysis Clinic5.46 miles away9421 West Markham Suite B Little Rock Arkansas 72205Dialysis Stations: 4 (501) 217-3888
- Davita - Little Rock Midtown Dialysis5.59 miles away#2 Lile Ct Ste 102 Little Rock Arkansas 72205CMS Rating: 1 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (501) 221-3123
- Westside Dialysis Unit LLC5.6 miles away1515 Kanis Park Dr Little Rock Arkansas 72204Dialysis Stations: 16 (501) 379-9208