Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx is a facility in Phoenix, Arizona which has a total of 1,312,922 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of A- which is a very impressive overall grade. As a result, it is ranked among the better nursing homes in Phoenix, which features some very good nursing homes. This is really as good of a facility as you're going to find. This place's impressive report card was highlighted by its nursing score, which you can find in the next section.
Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
4141 North S Herrera Way,
Phoenix AZ 85012
43.65% estimated occupancy 1
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its strong overall grade, we awarded this nursing home a grade of A+ for its nursing grade. Our nursing grade analyzes the facility's level of nurse staffing. We look at both the levels of skill of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with residents. This nursing home provides 0.5 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing grades. This nursing home performed very well in the area of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also was given a impressive short-term care score. Indeed, this ended up being this facility's second best category score. In that area, this facility received a grade of A. In computing our short-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, speech therapists, physical therapists and other types of skilled professionals. Our purpose is to create a barometer for comparing the rehabilitation services of different nursing homes. Fortunately, it looks like this facility employs registered nurses. Not all nursing homes employs these types of nurses. On the other hand, according to the data this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final metric we considered in this area is the number of residents that ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that 0 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home as opposed to remaining at the nursing home on a permanent basis.
Does this page answer your questions about Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx?
We awarded this facility an impressive grade of A- for inspections. Our inspection grades are based on datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that receive favorable grades in this category have few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these nursing homes generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. This facility was hit with 4 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe. This means that CMS didn't deem any of these deficiencies to cause an imminent threat to resident safety or health. The fact that none of the deficiencies were severe leaves us less concerned with this inspection report.
Long-term Care Quality
The next area we analyzed was long-term care, in which this nursing home was awarded a grade of B-. This ended up being this nursing home's least impressive category. This is nevertheless not a bad grade. In calculating our long-term care scores, we look at the facility's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. On top of assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. Fortunately, this nursing home provided the vaccine to 94.581276 percent of its patients, which is a very respectable percentage. Lastly, this place was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 8.97% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of residents who suffered from a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can limit the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 2.2% of Patients had Serious Falls
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injuries are routinely linked to poor nursing care. More supervision can reduce the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 1.68% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this statistic may also be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 11.03% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of residents given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be helpful for many patients, it is important to ensure these medications are being used only where medically required. In some cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 16.78% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term stay patients taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 3.1% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term stay residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 80.03% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients who received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 12.44% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Higher levels of dependence on staff for assistance with ADL's could indicate deterioration of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 20.97% Percentage of Residents
This metric tracks the percentage of long-term stay patients who remained mobile levels. Some experts would argue that mobility is vital to residents' mental and physical health.
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 1.3 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arizona State Veteran Home-Phx, 20.97 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Scores for Phoenix, AZ
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? Phoenix, Arizona has 23 other nursing homes
- St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.23 miles away350 West Thomas Road Phoenix Arizona 85013Voluntary non-profit - Church(602) 406-5001
- Banner - University Medical Center PhoenixAcute Care Hospitals 2.2 miles away1111 East Mcdowell Road Phoenix Arizona 85006Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 239-2000
- Abrazo Central CampusAcute Care Hospitals 2.72 miles away2000 West Bethany Home Road Phoenix Arizona 85015Physician(602) 249-0212
- St Luke's Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.46 miles away1800 East Van Buren Street Phoenix Arizona 85006Proprietary(602) 251-8156
- Valleywise Health Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.61 miles away2601 East Roosevelt Street Phoenix Arizona 85008Government - Local(602) 344-5011
- Valley HospitalPsychiatric 3.83 miles away3550 East Pinchot Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85018Voluntary non-profit - Other(602) 957-4000
- John C. Lincoln North Mountain HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.94 miles away250 East Dunlap Avenue Phoenix Arizona 85020Voluntary non-profit - Private(602) 331-5862
- Scottsdale Osborn Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.5 miles away7400 East Osborn Road Scottsdale Arizona 85251Proprietary(480) 882-4004
- Central Phx Dialysis (Fmc)0.97 miles away3421 N 7th Ave Phoenix Arizona 85013CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (602) 274-2293
- Phoenix Childrens Hospital- Dialysis Center2.11 miles away1920 E Cambridge Rd Ste 102 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 6 (602) 933-3220
- Evergreen Park Dialysis2.12 miles away926 E Mc Dowell Rd Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85006Dialysis Stations: 20 (602) 252-1418
- Pediatric Dialysis Center of Phoenix LLC2.74 miles away2545 East Thomas Road Suite 100 Phoenix Arizona 85016Dialysis Stations: 2 (602) 957-1648
- Arcadia Dialysis Center (Fmc)3.02 miles away4021 N. 30th Street Phoenix Arizona 85016CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (602) 957-2142
- Maricopa Medical Ctr - Dialysis3.65 miles away2525 E Roosevelt St Phoenix Arizona 85008CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 11 (602) 344-1601
- South Phoenix Dialysis Services (Fmc)4.11 miles away1021 S 7th Ave Ste 108 Phoenix Arizona 85007CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (602) 253-1954
- Papago Dialysis (Dva)4.67 miles away5115 East Thomas, Suite #115 Phoenix Arizona 85018Dialysis Stations: 13 (602) 956-1831