With an address in Plainfield, New Jersey, Aristacare at Norwood Terrace is one of a mere three nursing homes in this city. This nursing home was given an overall grade of C, which is a good rating. Based on our analysis, this facility has some redeeming qualities. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Aristacare at Norwood Terrace
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
40 Norwood Avenue,
Plainfield NJ 07060
86.66% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Best Nursing Home in Plainfield, New Jersey Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall score, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. This is far more impressive than the facility's overall rating. Inspection scores are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. A couple minor deficiencies should not stop you from considering a nursing home.
Short-term Care Quality
One of this nursing home's better category grades came in the area of short-term care. This wound up being its second best category. In that category, we gave this nursing home a grade of B-. In our short-term care category, we try to create a fair barometer for rehabilitation. In doing so, we analyze a nursing home's offerings of highly-skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its level of physical therapy and registered nurse hours provided to its residents based on the measures we assessed. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 6.3 percent of this facility's residents were able to return home, which is actually below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Aristacare at Norwood Terrace?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility's second lowest category is long-term care, where it earned just a D in that category. This is a relatively poor score. For long-term care residents, the primary objective is to maintain patients' quality of life and keep them safe. Once we looked at the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the facility's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 96.183205 percent of its patients against pneumonia, which is higher than the majority of nursing homes. Surprisingly, this facility also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. Sadly, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
The final area we scored was nursing, which turned out to be this nursing home's weakest category. Unfortunately, we gave it an abysmal F for this category, which is obviously very disappointing. There are many data points within this area. Many of the subcategories relate to nurse staffing. This facility averaged just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in determining our nursing grades. This place performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aristacare at Norwood Terrace Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This datapoint gauges the percentage of long-term residents that are suffering from pressure ulcers . We consider this statistic when determining both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of residents who have had a major fall. Falls leading to severe injury are considered to be an indicator of the quality of nursing care at a nursing home. Major falls which result in injury are routinely caused by lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic tells you the percentage of long-term residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Although more of these infections could reflect poorly on a facility's cleanliness, it can be difficult to compare different facilities due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term care patients which are administered antipsychotic drugs. Increased usage of these drugs may indicate that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents in scenarios where such drugs are not medically required. However, some facilities may need to rely on these drugs due to having more residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percent of residents given antianxiety drugs. These medications are given to residents suffering from anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 5.95% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who are showing signs of depression. High levels of depression may be an indicator worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 91.97% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients that received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines vital to patient care.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term patients who needed increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as taking medications and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who maintained mobility.
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Avoiding the hospital during rehabilitation is key to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This metric tracks the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term stay patients that experienced functional improvements.
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.91 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.95 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center1.45 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Fmc So Plainfield3.24 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Fmc Edison4.32 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Durham Corners4.73 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Dva Edison5.12 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Dva Summit Dialysis Ctr5.57 miles away1139 Spruce Drive Mountainside New Jersey 07092CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (908) 232-7800
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis6.52 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Fmc Colonia Dialysis Ctr6.6 miles away1250 Route 27 Colonia New Jersey 07067CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (732) 382-7333