With an address in Plainfield, New Jersey, Aristacare at Norwood Terrace is one of a mere three nursing homes in this city. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B, which is a good rating. Based on our analysis, this facility has quite a bit going for it. The best part of this facility's impressive report card was its inspection grade. We discuss inspections in the next paragraph
Aristacare at Norwood Terrace
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of earning a strong overall grade, this nursing home performed even better in the area of inspections which is based on the nursing home's recent inspections. In fact, we awarded it an A+ for that area, which is one of our highest grades. Arguably the most critical factor we consider in determining our inspection scores is deficiencies. Deficiencies can be found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities with higher scores in this category typically avoided the most severe deficiencies involving patient abuse or death. Fortunately, although this facility had some minor dings on its inspection report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the government inspectors didn't consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Short-term Care Quality
This nursing home also received a favorable short-term care grade. Indeed, we gave it an above average grade of B+ in this category. Our short-term care grade is commonly employed to assess a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. To provide highly scored rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally must feature better levels of skilled nursing services. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other licensed professionals. Unfortunately, we were not able to find registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this facility. Finally, we considered the percentage of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 7.2 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Aristacare at Norwood Terrace?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility was awarded an impressive long-term care grade as well. We gave it one of our higher grades in that area with a score of B+. When facilities receive a score in this range in this category it generally means it's well-staffed and is an overall good place to live on a permanent basis. Once we looked at the quantity of care provided by aids and other staff, we then looked at the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 99.2278 percent of its residents for pneumonia. Vaccines are critical to keeping patients out of the hospital. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it also excelled at keeping its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low figure.
The final category we assessed is nursing, which turned out to be this facility's worst category. Sadly, it received an abysmal F in this area, which is clearly somewhat disappointing. There are a variety of data points within this category. Many of the criteria relate to staffing levels. With just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident each day, this facility's nurse staffing levels were quite a bit below the national average. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in determining our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in terms of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aristacare at Norwood Terrace Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 9.57% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents which suffer from new or worsened pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 2.57% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents which have sustained a fall resulting in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be an indicator of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 1.73% of Patients had UTIs
This is a measure of the percent of long-term patients that have experienced UTI's. While more of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's cleanliness, it is problematic to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 10.75% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients given antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many residents, it is important to confirm these medications are being used only where medically required. In limited cases, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 17.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antianxiety medications. These medications are generally given to patients suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 5.81% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 92% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who were vaccinated against pneumonia and flu.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 10.99% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care residents who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 14.79% Percentage of Residents
This is the percentage of residents who remained mobile levels over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of care. There is generally a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the overall quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 14.79 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This indicates the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 8.17 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 80.57% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term stay patients who saw functional improvements.
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.91 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.95 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center1.45 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Fmc So Plainfield3.24 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Fmc Edison4.32 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Durham Corners4.73 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Dva Edison5.12 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Dva Summit Dialysis Ctr5.57 miles away1139 Spruce Drive Mountainside New Jersey 07092CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (908) 232-7800
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis6.52 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Fmc Colonia Dialysis Ctr6.6 miles away1250 Route 27 Colonia New Jersey 07067CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (732) 382-7333