With an address in Plainfield, New Jersey, Aristacare at Norwood Terrace is one of just a couple nursing homes in this city. This nursing home was given an overall grade of B-, which is a good rating. Based on our analysis, this facility has some redeeming qualities. One of the major highlights of this facility's profile is its remarkable inspection score, which we will address in the next paragraph.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aristacare at Norwood Terrace
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Get pricing and details on Plainfield senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Medical Transportation
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Best Nursing Home in Plainfield, New Jersey Awards 2020
Registered Staff Hours
To go along with its relatively modest overall score, we gave this nursing home an A+ for our inspections rating. This is far more impressive than the facility's overall rating. Inspection scores are based on many datapoints located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category typically have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. This nursing home received 2 deficiencies on its inspection report, but we were relieved to see that none of the deficiencies were considered to be severe deficiencies. This indicates that CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies to be an imminent threat to resident health or safety. We should note that deficiency-free inspection reports are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
The second best category we gave this facility in any category came in the category of short-term care, where we gave it a B-. Short-term care ratings are based on the nursing home's quantity of highly-skilled skilled healthcare professionals. This includes a wide scope of services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and speech therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. We were not able to track down registered nurse or physical therapy staffing data for this nursing home. The final item we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients who ultimately were able to return home from the nursing home. We found that just 6.3 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home. Unfortunately, this was below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Aristacare at Norwood Terrace?
Next, we looked at the nursing category where we awarded this nursing home a grade of C, which is a decent grade. Nursing ratings are tied to quality and quantity of nursing care. This nursing home provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient on a daily basis. This is a relatively low total compared with most facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this place actually fared better in some of the quality measures we looked at. In fact, it scored well when it comes to avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is just as important as the number of hours of care provided.
Long-term Care Quality
The last category we rated is long-term care, was this nursing home's least impressive area. We awarded this nursing home a D in that category. This is one of just a couple of weak links of a quality report card. When facilities receive this type of score in long-term care it is typically a bad sign for resident care and it may mean that the place is not as well-staffed with nurses and aids. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We discovered that this nursing home vaccinated a relatively low 77.15232 percent of its residents, which is somewhat concerning. To our surprise, this nursing home actually fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had just 0.03 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days. This was its best score in this category.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aristacare at Norwood Terrace Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 8.94% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, which are also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can minimize the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 2.79% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents who suffered from a major fall. Falls leading to serious injuries are routinely associated with lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the number of major falls sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 1.44% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that suffered from a urinary tract infection. These infections are sometimes linked to insufficient hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients prescribed antipsychotic drugs. Antipsychotic medications are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Tragically, in some cases, increased usage of these drugs may suggest a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 17.29% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of residents prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety medications are administered to residents experiencing anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 6.37% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 89.73% of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents who have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. High vaccination rates should be demanded by residents.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 10.05% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who required more assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as taking medications and using the bathroom.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 10.04% Percentage of Residents
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term stay patients who maintained mobility.
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 1.88 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 10.04 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 9.47 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aristacare at Norwood Terrace, 81.82% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay patients that saw functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some experts argue this is a measure of rehabilitation services.
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 5.91 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 6.69 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 7.02 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.91 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 10.03 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 10.29 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 10.95 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Saint Barnabas Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 11.53 miles away94 Old Short Hills Road Livingston New Jersey 07039Voluntary non-profit - Other(973) 322-5000
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center1.45 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Fmc So Plainfield3.24 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Fmc Edison4.32 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Durham Corners4.73 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Dva Edison5.12 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- Dva Summit Dialysis Ctr5.57 miles away1139 Spruce Drive Mountainside New Jersey 07092CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (908) 232-7800
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis6.52 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Fmc Colonia Dialysis Ctr6.6 miles away1250 Route 27 Colonia New Jersey 07067CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (732) 382-7333