With an address in South Plainfield, New Jersey, Aristacare at Cedar Oaks is the sole nursing home we identified in the city. We gave this facility an B+ overall grade, ranking it in the top third of all facilities in the country. Based on our ratings, this nursing home has quite a bit going for it. We were also pleased to find that this place did not have any poor grades in any of the major categories. Additional information about these categories is available below.
Aristacare at Cedar Oaks
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Lata
1311 Durham Avenue,
South Plainfield NJ 07080
88.04% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
On top of being a first rate nursing home overall, this facility also performed well in the area of inspections, where it earned an A+. Few facilities fared as well in this category. Our inspection ratings are based on many items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Facilities that excel in this area have very few deficiencies on their reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with risks to patient safety. While this place had some deficiencies on its report, none of them were severe based on CMS' deficiency scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
We also awarded this nursing home a score of A- for our long-term care grade. If you are seeking services other than rehabilitation, you should take a close look at long-term care grades. After assessing the amount of care provided by aids and other staff, we turned to the nursing home's vaccination record. This facility vaccinated 82.93051 percent of its residents against pneumonia, which happens to be a few points lower than we were hoping for but still a reasonably acceptable percentage. While its vaccination rate was a bit lower than we had hoped, at least this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. It had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Aristacare at Cedar Oaks?
This nursing home also received a strong nursing score. In fact, we awarded it an above average grade of B+ in this area. The nursing rating assesses several subcategories, but the primary one is the level of nurse hours per patient per week. This particular nursing home provided 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this place excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a protocol of moving a resident more often.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we assessed was short-term care, where this nursing home was given a grade of B-. While this is its poorest category score, this is still a middle of the pack score. Our short-term care grades are meaningful for prospective residents seeking rehabilitation. Rehabilitation typically mandates more highly-skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes a wide scope of nursing services, ranging from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, as well as other variations of therapy. Unfortunately, it does not look like this nursing home submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Finally, we looked at the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home. At most facilities, closer to half of their patients are able to return home so this figure is below average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aristacare at Cedar Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 9.28% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term stay residents which have new or worsened pressure ulcers. We find that pressure ulcers are a reliable indicator of nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 2.53% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percentage of residents that sustained a major fall. Falls leading to major injuries are considered by many experts to be a measure of nursing care . Falls leading to injury are often caused by poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 1.65% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percent of residents who have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of nursing care . UTI's are often associated with poor nursing care. However, this metric can be misleading for certain facilities due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 10.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is an indication of the percentage of long-term care residents receiving antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic medications serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used only where medically required. In some situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may suggest that a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 17.42% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric tells you the percent of long-term patients taking antianxiety medications.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 5.95% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay patients who are demonstrating signs of depression. Many in the industry believe this is a measure of patient quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 91.97% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that received the flu and pneumonia vaccines.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 10.68% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percent of residents that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 12.9% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry argue that the ability to move around is critical to residents' physical and mental well-being.
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 1.68 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of hospitalizations per 1,000 days of patient care. There is typically a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 12.9 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term resident care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the health of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 8.37 Percentage of Patients
This tells you the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 80.92% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint is a measure of the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.05 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.03 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.96 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Davita Durham Corners0.89 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Fmc Edison2.02 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis2.33 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Fmc So Plainfield2.63 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Dva Edison3.83 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- New Brunswick Dialysis4.15 miles away303 George Street Ste G-8 New Brunswick New Jersey 08901CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 937-4791
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center4.3 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Fresenius Medical Care Piscataway4.62 miles away1135 Easton Ave Somerset New Jersey 08875Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 220-1043