Aristacare at Cedar Oaks is a very-large nursing home located in South Plainfield, New Jersey. Sporting an overall grade of B+, this is a very good facility. Based on our analysis, this facility has quite a bit going for it. Fortunately, this nursing home didn't have any poor grades in any of the major categories discussed below. More information about its category grades can be found below.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Aristacare at Cedar Oaks
- Nursing Home
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on South Plainfield senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Partnership
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Peritoneal Dialysis
- Mental Health
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Catheter Care
- Aquatic Therapy
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a great nursing home overall, it also earned A+ government inspections in recent years. Its inspections were virtually flawless. Our inspection ratings are tied to several items located in the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Nursing homes that score well in this category have very few deficiencies on those reports. Most importantly, these facilities generally do not have any severe deficiencies which are associated with endangerment of patients. Although this place had a few deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' scale. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
Among the reasons we graded this nursing home so well is that it received a favorable long-term care grade. Indeed, long-term care turned out to be its second best category score. In that category, we gave this facility a score of A-. Long-term care ratings of this caliber generally require both around the clock care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine medical care. On top of looking at the amount of care provided by nurses and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 69.30556 percent of its residents. This is slightly below what we were hoping for. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Aristacare at Cedar Oaks?
Turning to the category of nursing care, this facility didn't perform quite as well in this area as some of the categories discussed above. Nevertheless, a grade of B- in this category is by no means a bad score. Our nursing rating is largely associated with a nursing home's nurse staffing. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Despite having low quantities of nursing care, this nursing home actually fared better in some of the quality-based metrics we looked at. In fact, it performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these areas to be good measures of the quality of nursing care. In many cases, the quality of nursing care is every bit as important as the number of hours of care offered.
Short-term Care Quality
The final area we looked at was short-term care, where this facility received a B-. This is this nursing home's least impressive area. This is still not a major area of concern. Short-term care grades are typically used to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation. In order to offer high-end rehabilitation services, facilities generally need to have higher levels of skilled nursing services. Skilled nursing includes registered nurses, physical therapists, respiratory therapists and other highly trained professionals. It doesn't appear that this facility submitted registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. The final metric we looked at in this area is the percentage of patients that returned home from the facility. We found that just 5.4 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Aristacare at Cedar Oaks Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 6.61% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We bake this statistic into our nursing grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 2.36% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients who have had a major fall. Falls resulting in serious injury are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be an indicator of nursing care . Major falls resulting in injury are routinely the result of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 0.88% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often linked to facilities with worst hygiene practices. Better hygiene protocols reduces the number of UTI's sustained by residents in a nursing home. Keep in mind that this metric is affected by by the fact that facilities have incongruent reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 0.6% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used for treating several conditions, including dementia.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 8.27% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percentage of patients who were prescribed antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to patients experiencing depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 3.99% of Patients
This is the percent of residents who are demonstrating depressive symptoms. High rates of depression could imply lower quality care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 82.19% of Patients
This tells you the percentage of patients that were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 18.09% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that needed additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as moving around and continence.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 14.33% of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents that retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric is a measure of the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 14.33% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term resident care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 7.16% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. Staying out of the emergency room is one way to assess patient well-being during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Aristacare at Cedar Oaks, 78.71% of Resident
This tells you the percentage of short-term patients who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living.
- Jfk Medical Ctr - Anthony M. Yelencsics CommunityAcute Care Hospitals 3.24 miles away65 James Street Edison New Jersey 08818Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 321-7000
- Saint Peter's University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.05 miles away254 Easton Ave New Brunswick New Jersey 08901Voluntary non-profit - Church(732) 745-8600
- Raritan Bay Medical Center Perth Amboy DivisionAcute Care Hospitals 6.93 miles away530 New Brunswick Ave Perth Amboy New Jersey 08861Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 442-3700
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital at RahwayAcute Care Hospitals 7.75 miles away865 Stone St Rahway New Jersey 07065Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 381-4200
- Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital SomersetAcute Care Hospitals 9.78 miles away110 Rehill Ave Somerville New Jersey 08876Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 685-2200
- Overlook Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.03 miles away99 Beauvoir Avenue Summit New Jersey 07902Voluntary non-profit - Other(908) 522-2000
- Trinitas Regional Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 12.96 miles away225 Williamson Street Elizabeth New Jersey 07207Voluntary non-profit - Private(908) 994-5000
- Bayshore Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 14.83 miles away727 N Beers St Holmdel New Jersey 07733Voluntary non-profit - Private(732) 739-5900
- Davita Durham Corners0.89 miles away241 Durham Avenue South Plainfield New Jersey 07080CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 18 (908) 222-2971
- Fmc Edison2.02 miles away2 Olsen Ave Edison New Jersey 08820Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 549-3286
- Davita Metuchen Dialysis2.33 miles away319 Lake Avenue Metuchen New Jersey 08840Dialysis Stations: 10 (732) 906-5714
- Fmc So Plainfield2.63 miles away2201 S Clinton Ave South Plainfield New Jersey 07080Dialysis Stations: 15 (908) 668-8007
- Dva Edison3.83 miles away29 Meridian Road Edison New Jersey 08820CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (732) 205-9883
- New Brunswick Dialysis4.15 miles away303 George Street Ste G-8 New Brunswick New Jersey 08901CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (732) 937-4791
- Dva Plainfield Dialysis Center4.3 miles away1200 Randolph Road Kenyon House Plainfield New Jersey 07060CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (908) 757-6030
- Fresenius Medical Care Piscataway4.62 miles away1135 Easton Ave Somerset New Jersey 08875Dialysis Stations: 18 (732) 220-1043