Arbour Health Care Center is in the large metropolitan area of Chicago, Illinois which has a total of 2,680,484 people. We gave this facility an overall grade of D. A score in this range generally suggests some concerning datapoints. Fortunately, if you aren't impressed with this facility, there are countless other options available in this city. More information on this nursing home's category grades may be found below. Its best category was inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Arbour Health Care Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Note: Arbour Health Care Center has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Chicago senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Tracheotomy Care
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we did not rate this facility well overall, we want to point out its decent inspections in recent years. We awarded it a somewhat respectable grade of B- in that area. Our inspection ratings account for several factors found on a facility's inspection reports. One key criteria we look at is the number and severity of deficiencies. While this nursing home had some minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those found in categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This means CMS did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Long-term Care Quality
We also gave this facility a middle of the road grade in the category of long-term care, where we gave it a B-. Our long-term care grade focuses on a facility's assistance with daily living instead of the skilled therapy and healthcare services that are critical to a skilled nursing facility. One of the datapoints we considered after nurse's aid hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this nursing home administered the pneumonia vaccination to 97.63314 percent of its residents. Finally, this facility was also able to limit hospitalizations. In fact, it had only 0.03 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Arbour Health Care Center?
Short-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this facility only received a D for its short-term care grade, which is not a score to write home about. In computing our short-term care grades, we quantify the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as those performed by registered nurses, occupational therapists, physical therapists and other types of therapists. Our goal is to devise a measure for sizing up the rehabilitation services of different facilities. With its weak score in this category, we were not stunned to discover that this facility offers far fewer registered nurse and physical therapist hours per patient than most other nursing homes. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of residents who were able to leave the nursing home and return to the community. We discovered that just 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is well below average. The combination of these subpar statistics sunk this facility's short-term care grade.
The next category we assessed is nursing, which turned out to be a weak link for this nursing home. We awarded this facility a D in the area of nursing. In determining a facility's nursing score, we assess the amount of time nurses spend with patients and the skill levels of those nurses. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Finally, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in calculating our nursing grades. This place fared well in the area of avoiding pressure ulcers and major falls. We consider these data points to be reliable indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arbour Health Care Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arbour Health Care Center, 5.83% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This metric gauges the percent of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers . We use this statistic in calculating both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arbour Health Care Center, 1.78% of Patients had Serious Falls
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a major fall. Falls resulting in severe injury are often caused by poor nursing care. Additional nurse staffing reduces the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain major falls.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arbour Health Care Center, 2.47% of Patients had UTIs
This metric gauges the percent of long-term stay residents that experienced urinary tract infections. Although a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's hygiene protocols, it can be problematic to compare different facilities due to varying reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arbour Health Care Center, 40.98% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients given antipsychotic medications. These drugs are used to treat a variety of conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arbour Health Care Center, 4.5% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arbour Health Care Center, 90.41% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of residents demonstrating signs of depression. Increased levels of depression could reveal worse patient care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arbour Health Care Center, 97.74% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents who were administered the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for nursing home residents, making these types of vaccines critical to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arbour Health Care Center, 13.71% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as getting dressed and eating. Many in the industry argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arbour Health Care Center, 12.86% of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay patients who were able to retain mobility.
In Arbour Health Care Center, 0.03 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care. There is typically a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the quality of long-term care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arbour Health Care Center, 12.86% of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of rehospitalizations per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Arbour Health Care Center, 8.03% of Patients
This is a measure of the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Chicago, IL
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of C
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Chicago, Illinois has 38 other nursing homes
- Presence Saint Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 0.96 miles away355 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60202Voluntary non-profit - Church(847) 316-4000
- Methodist Hospital of ChicagoAcute Care Hospitals 3.04 miles away5025 N Paulina Street Chicago Illinois 60640Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 271-9040
- Swedish Covenant HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.3 miles away5145 N California Ave Chicago Illinois 60625Voluntary non-profit - Church(773) 878-8200
- Aurora Chicago Lakeshore HospitalPsychiatric 3.35 miles away4840 N Marine Dr Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-9700
- Northshore University Healthsystem Evanston HospAcute Care Hospitals 3.41 miles away2650 Ridge Ave Evanston Illinois 60201Voluntary non-profit - Other(847) 432-8000
- Louis a Weiss Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.64 miles away4646 N Marine Drive Chicago Illinois 60640Proprietary(773) 878-8700
- Thorek Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.42 miles away850 W Irving Park Rd Chicago Illinois 60613Voluntary non-profit - Private(312) 525-6780
- Advocate Illinois Masonic Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.66 miles away836 West Wellington Avenue Chicago Illinois 60657Voluntary non-profit - Private(773) 975-1600
- Fmc - Rogers Park0.96 miles away2277 W Howard St Chicago Illinois 60645CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (773) 262-7147
- Davita - Evanston Renal Center2.3 miles away1922 Dempster Street Evanston Illinois 60202CMS Rating: 5 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (847) 869-5047
- Fmc - Uptown3.56 miles away4700 N. Marine Drive, Suite 204 Chicago Illinois 60640CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 15 (773) 989-8082
- Fmc - Na Lakeview Dialysis3.71 miles away4008 North Broadway Ave., Suite 1200 Chicago Illinois 60613Dialysis Stations: 14 (773) 248-3105
- Center for Renal Replacement, LLC3.73 miles away7301 North Lincoln Ave., Ste 205 Lincolnwood Illinois 60712Dialysis Stations: 16 (847) 675-5555
- Fmc - Midamerica Evanston4.11 miles away2953 Central St 1st Floor Evanston Illinois 60201Dialysis Stations: 14 (847) 869-9436
- Nephron Dialysis Center, Ltd.4.91 miles away5140 N. California Ave. Suite 510 Chicago Illinois 60625Dialysis Stations: 16 (773) 293-2100
- Davita Irving Park Dialysis5 miles away4323 N Pulaski Road Chicago Illinois 60641Dialysis Stations: 12 (773) 279-8714