Arbors West is an average-sized nursing home located in West Jefferson, Ohio. With an overall grade of D, this is a subpar nursing home. If you are not satisfied with this facility's pedestrian overall grade, you may have to look in other cities as this is the only nursing home in West Jefferson. This place's only redeeming feature was its inspection grade, which you can find additional information on below.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Respite Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Palliative Care
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Although we didn't grade this nursing home favorably overall, we did give it an excellent score in the area of inspections, where it received a grade of A-. Arguably the most critical factor we look at in computing our inspection ratings is deficiencies. These deficiencies are found on a nursing home's recent inspection reports. It is typically in your best interest to avoid places that had a long list of severe deficiencies. Although this facility had some deficiencies on its government inspection report, none of them were major deficiencies based on CMS' deficiency scale. A couple minor deficiencies aren't the end of the world.
Long-term Care Quality
Unfortunately, this nursing home only earned a grade of D for its long-term care rating, which is actually one of its higher category scores. In a long-term care setting, the nursing home's primary goal is to keep patients healthy and safe. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate residents. On top of looking at the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility vaccinated 98.156685 percent of its residents. Surprisingly, this place was able to limit hospitalizations. With only 0 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the majority of nursing homes. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Does this page answer your questions about Arbors West?
This facility's next best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. There are a variety of factors included in this category. Many of the datapoints are tied to staffing levels. This nursing home provides 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a much lower figure than we are used to seeing. Lastly, we also assessed some nursing quality-based metrics in computing our nursing grades. This place performed well in the area of minimizing its residents' major falls and pressure ulcers.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility's least impressive area is short-term care, which is the last area we scored. In this area, we gave this facility a grade of D. In determining our short-term care scores, we analyze a facility's levels of highly skilled nursing services, which includes registered nurses, physical therapists speech therapists and other types of therapists. This score is considered to be a meaningful measure of a facility's rehabilitation services. Considering its grade in this area, we weren't stunned to learn that this place was well below average in terms of the quantity of registered nurse and physical therapy hours offered to its residents based on the data we assessed. Honestly, this was what we expected to find. Lastly, we assessed the number of patients that were able to return home from this facility. This facility didn't fare well here either. In fact, we found that just 5 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home. This figure was well off the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arbors West Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arbors West, 7.79% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of residents who sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also called bed sores, are often caused by residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols minimizes the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arbors West, 3.69% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is an indication of the percent of long-term stay patients who have experienced falls which resulted in serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arbors West, 1.8% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term patients who had UTI's. UTI's may be an indicator of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint can be skewed for some facilities due to varying reporting standards for infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arbors West, 13.22% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This statistic tells you the percent of long-term care residents who were given antipsychotic drugs. Excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to control patient behavior in situations where such medications aren't medically required. Nevertheless, some facilities may need to rely on these medications due to an increased number of residents suffering from Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arbors West, 22.35% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arbors West, 20% of Patients
This metric measures the percentage of long-term care residents exhibiting signs of depression. Many argue this is a reliable measure of patient quality of life.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arbors West, 90.19% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients that have received the flu and pneumonia vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arbors West, 15.17% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents that needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arbors West, 18.5% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term care patients who were able to retain mobility. Many would argue that the ability to move around is critical to patients physical and mental well-being.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arbors West, 18.5 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This datapoint measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Keeping residents out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical abilities of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Arbors West, 11.81 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to gauge patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Arbors West, 74.54% Percentage of Resident
This tells you the percent of short-term care residents who experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Higher levels of independence with activities of daily living often correlates with higher quality rehabilitation services.
- Doctors HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.55 miles away5100 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43228Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 544-1000
- Madison HealthAcute Care Hospitals 10.01 miles away210 North Main Street London Ohio 43140Voluntary non-profit - Private(740) 845-7000
- Twin Valley Behavioral HealthcarePsychiatric 11.68 miles away2200 West Broad Street Columbus Ohio 43223Government - Local(614) 752-0333
- Dublin Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 12.5 miles away7500 Hospital Avenue Dublin Ohio 43016Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 544-8000
- Mount Carmel WestAcute Care Hospitals 13.68 miles away793 West State Street Columbus Ohio 43222Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 234-5000
- Ohio State University HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 14.28 miles away410 West 10th Avenue Columbus Ohio 43210Government - State(614) 293-9700
- Riverside Methodist HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 14.48 miles away3535 Olentangy River Rd Columbus Ohio 43214Voluntary non-profit - Private(614) 566-5000
- Grant Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 15.29 miles away111 South Grant Avenue Columbus Ohio 43215Voluntary non-profit - Church(614) 566-9000
- Davita - Hilliard Station Dialysis7.71 miles away2447 Hilliard Rome Road Hilliard Ohio 43026Dialysis Stations: 13 (614) 876-3610
- Fmc Liberty Dialysis West Columbus8.36 miles away4500 West Broad St Columbus Ohio 43228Dialysis Stations: 19 (614) 853-5995
- Davita - Columbus West Dialysis8.48 miles away1395 Georgesville Road Columbus Ohio 43228Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 279-8495
- Davita - Columbus West at Home8.49 miles away1391 Georgesville Rd. Columbus Ohio 43228Dialysis Stations: 3 (614) 279-8495
- Fmc - Dialysis Services of London9.26 miles away306 Lafayette St. Suite J London Ohio 43140Dialysis Stations: 13 (740) 845-1594
- Fmc - Grove City10.71 miles away3149 Farm Bank Way Groveport Ohio 43125CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 16 (614) 875-2349
- Davita - Dublin11.99 miles away6770 Perimeter Drive Dublin Ohio 43016Dialysis Stations: 12 (614) 798-8359
- Davita - Grove City Dialysis12.06 miles away4155 Kelnor Drive Grove City Ohio 43123Dialysis Stations: 8 (614) 801-0323