Arbor Hills Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home located in La Mesa, California. This facility was awarded an A- overall, which is one of the top scores we offer. A score in this range requires superb marks across the board. In fact, we were so impressed with this nursing home that we rated it ahead of most of the nursing homes in La Mesa, which has a strong selection of facilities. If you look below, you can see this facility's category ratings, which are also strong.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Arbor Hills Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Nov 1, 2023 by Nick Reese
Get pricing and details on La Mesa senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
We also wanted to emphasize the fact that this facility has earned excellent health inspections recently. We awarded them an A in this category. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in calculating these inspection grades. One of those factors is health deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of these deficiencies is usually more important than the number of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively minor. Fortunately, although this place had some minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you CMS didn't deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. The fact that the deficiencies were relatively minor made us feel better about this inspection report.
Short-term Care Quality
Contributing to its top-shelf assessment, this nursing home also was awarded a superb short-term care grade, with a score of A-. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to evaluate measures of a nursing home's rehabilitation. We analyze the nursing home's skilled nursing services, including the ones performed by registered nurses and physical, occupational and other therapists. It doesn't appear that this facility provided data regarding its registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. Finally, we assessed the percentage of residents that eventually returned home from this facility. We found that 6.1 percent of this nursing home's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Arbor Hills Nursing Center?
Long-term Care Quality
This facility also was given an impressive long-term care score. Indeed, we gave it an above average score of B+ in this category. Long-term care ratings in this range generally require both 24/7 care from nurses and aids, as well as quality routine healthcare services. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility gave the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is significantly higher than the average nursing home. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its patients out of the hospital. In fact, it had only 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
The final area we graded is nursing, where this nursing home was given a grade of B. This actually ended up being this facility's weakest category. A nursing home is doing something right when it's lowest score still is better than most facilities. The nursing score analyzes a handful of factors, but the most important consideration is the quantity of nurse hours spent with patients. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any nursing home California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be prevented by offering better nursing care, such as by having a policy of turning a resident even once per day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arbor Hills Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 2.35% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are often the result of patients staying in one position for too long. Better nursing care can minimize the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 1.96% of Patients had Serious Falls
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term patients who have experienced a fall leading to serious injury. We use this statistic in computing our nursing scores.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 0% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 7.83% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 9.55% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 3.23% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who are showing signs of depression. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 100% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 6.55% of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 8.41% of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 0.02 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 8.41% of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 11.85% of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 90.52% of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for La Mesa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A
Looking for more options? La Mesa, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.15 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 4.17 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.38 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.11 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center1.89 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis2.06 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College2.17 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon3.9 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego4.09 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Davita-San Diego East5.64 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Balboa East County5.67 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise5.93 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872