Arbor Hills Nursing Center is an average-sized nursing home located in La Mesa, California. This turns out to be an A rated facility. This nursing home was given one of the top grades that we offer. A grade of this caliber requires excellent marks across the board. This nursing home turned out to be one of the better facilities in the city, which has a strong selection of facilities. If you look below, you can see this facility's category ratings, which are also strong.
Arbor Hills Nursing Center
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Colostomy Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
- Total Parenteral Nutrition
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to being a first rate nursing home overall, this facility excelled in the area of inspections, where it earned an A+. Few facilities performed this well in this area. We take several aspects of a facility's inspection report into consideration in computing our inspection scores. One of those factors is deficiencies. It should be noted that the severity of the deficiencies is arguably more important than the quantity of deficiencies, as some of these can be relatively minor. While this nursing home had a few minor dings on its report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are labeled as categories G through L. This means that the government inspectors did not deem any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient health or safety. Finally, this facility had no substantiated complaints this year from residents, which is an excellent sign.
Long-term Care Quality
This top notch facility also dominated in the area of long-term care, where we awarded it a score of A+. Only a small group of facilities performed better in this category. Facilities that do well in long-term care tend to be well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. In addition to assessing the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the number of residents vaccinated against pneumonia. This facility administered the vaccine to 100 percent of its residents, which is far higher than most nursing homes. Lastly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. Indeed, it had only 0.04 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, which is a remarkably low number.
Does this page answer your questions about Arbor Hills Nursing Center?
Short-term Care Quality
We also want to note the fact that this facility was awarded a high-end score of A- in our short-term care category. Short-term care grades are commonly employed to grade a nursing home's performance with rehabilitation To have good rehabilitation services, nursing homes generally need to provide better levels of highly skilled nursing. These types of services include registered nurses, physical therapists, occupational therapists and other types of therapists. It doesn't look like this nursing home provided registered nurse or physical therapist staffing data. Finally, we considered the number of residents who were able to return to the community from this facility. We found that 5.9 percent of this facility's residents returned home.
The next area we scored is nursing, in which this nursing home received a B. While this ended up being its lowest category score, this is nevertheless a quality grade. The nursing rating includes several data points, most of which are based on quantities of nurse staffing. This particular nursing home provided 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also assessed several nursing quality measures and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any facility the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as having a protocol of moving patients at least once a day.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Arbor Hills Nursing Center Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percent of patients that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also referred to as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols reduces the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term residents who had falls which resulted in severe injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of falls resulting in injuries could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients who sustained a urinary tract infection. These infections could be linked to poorer hygiene.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were given antipsychotic medications. Antipsychotic drugs are prescribed to patients for many medical conditions, such as Alzheimer's or other dementias. Sadly, in limited cases, excessive reliance on these medications may suggest that a facility is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This is the percent of patients who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are administered to residents suffering from anxiety and depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 4.33% of Patients
Measures the percentage of long-term residents who are showing signs of depression. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of quality of care.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 95.72% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term care residents that were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home patients, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This is the percentage of residents who needed more assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
Measures the percentage of long-term stay residents who maintained mobility.
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This metric tracks the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This tells you the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 9.85 Percentage of Patients
Measures the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term care. Avoiding emergency medical situations is one way to assess short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Arbor Hills Nursing Center, 79.63% Percentage of Resident
This metric measures the percentage of short-term care patients that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Many in the industry would argue that this is a reasonable measure of rehabilitation services.
Scores for La Mesa, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of B-plus
- Inspection Rating has a grade of A-minus
Looking for more options? La Mesa, California has 6 other nursing homes
- Grossmont HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 1.15 miles away5555 Grossmont Center Drive Box 58 La Mesa California 91942Government - Hospital District or Authority(619) 465-0711
- Alvarado Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 1.67 miles away6655 Alvarado Road San Diego California 92120Proprietary(619) 229-3172
- Kaiser Foundation Hospital - ZionAcute Care Hospitals 4.17 miles away4647 Zion Ave San Diego California 92120Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 528-5000
- Paradise Valley HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.8 miles away2400 East 4th St National City California 91950Proprietary(619) 470-4321
- Nmc San DiegoAcute Care - Department of Defense 7.38 miles away34800 Bob Wilson Drive San Diego California 92134Department of Defense(619) 532-6400
- Sharp Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.59 miles away7901 Frost St San Diego California 92123Voluntary non-profit - Private(858) 939-3400
- Scripps Mercy HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 7.86 miles away4077 5th Ave San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Private(619) 294-8111
- Uc San Diego Health Hillcrest - Hillcrest Med CtrAcute Care Hospitals 8.11 miles away200 West Arbor Drive San Diego California 92103Voluntary non-profit - Other(619) 543-6222
- Fmc-La Mesa Dialysis Center1.89 miles away5995 Severin Drive La Mesa California 91942CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 462-9992
- Davita-College Dialysis2.06 miles away6535 University Avenue San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 287-8796
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of College2.17 miles away5961 University Avenue Suite 317 San Diego California 92115CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (619) 286-0821
- Fmc-Rai-Fletcher Parkway-El Cajon3.9 miles away858 Fletcher Parkway El Cajon California 92020CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (619) 442-4122
- Fmc-Rai-Mission Gorge San Diego4.09 miles away7007 Mission Gorge Road, 1st Floor San Diego California 92120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 33 (619) 229-1070
- Davita-San Diego East5.64 miles away292 Euclid Avenue, Suite 100 San Diego California 92114CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 21 (619) 262-7225
- Fmc-Balboa East County5.67 miles away570 N. Second Street El Cajon California 92021CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (619) 588-7500
- Fmc-Dialysis Services of Paradise5.93 miles away6919 Paradise Valley Road San Diego California 92139CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (619) 475-2872