With an address in Mission Hills, California, Ararat Nursing Facility is one of a mere two available facilities there. We awarded this facility an overall grade of B. A grade of this caliber requires solid scores in most areas. Based on our analysis, this nursing home looks like a good fit for most people. This place's strong profile was highlighted by its long-term care score, which we will address in the next section.
Ararat Nursing Facility
- Nursing Home
- Assisted Living
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
15099 Mission Hills Road,
Mission Hills CA 91345
93.7% estimated occupancy 1
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- Has Family Council
- For profit - Limited Liability company
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
Registered Staff Hours
Long-term Care Quality
In addition to being a quality nursing home overall, this nursing home really fared well in the area of long-term care, where it received an A. Few nursing homes fared better in this category. Facilities that do well in this category typically are well-staffed and provide extensive hands on care to residents. On top of considering the volume of care provided by nurses and other staff, we also looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. This facility provided the vaccine to 100 percent of its patients, which is much higher than the vast majority of nursing homes. Clearly, this place is doing something right in this area as it was able to keep its residents out of the hospital. It had only 0.01 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
One of the other reasons we rated this nursing home so highly is that it received a very impressive nursing rating. In fact, nursing turned out to be its second best category grade. In that area, we gave this facility a grade of B+. Our nursing grade is mostly based on a nursing home's level of nurse staffing. This nursing home provides 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality measures and this facility excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place the country in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can generally be avoided by providing better nursing care, such as employing a protocol of moving a resident at least once a day.
Does this page answer your questions about Ararat Nursing Facility?
We also awarded this nursing home a grade of B- for our inspections rating. This is a very respectable nursing score. Inspection scores are tied to several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to the well being of residents. While this facility had some minor dings on its government inspection report, it had no severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are those labeled as categories G through L. This tells you the inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. We should note that deficiency-free inspections are rare in the industry.
Short-term Care Quality
Switching gears to our next area, this facility was given an acceptable short-term care grade of C. Short-term care scores are based in part on a facility's quantity of skilled highly skilled professionals. This means a broad scope of services, spanning from registered nurses to physical and occupational therapists, not to mention other types of therapy. Unfortunately, we were not able to find information about this nursing home's registered nurse or physical therapy staffing. The final metric we considered in this category is the number of residents who ultimately returned home from the facility. We found that just 2.5 percent of this nursing home's residents returned home. This figure was below the national average.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ararat Nursing Facility Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 7.45% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This indicates the percentage of residents that sustained a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of residents not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing protocols limits the number of pressure ulcers sustained by residents in a nursing home.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 1.7% of Patients had Serious Falls
This is the percent of patients that sustained a fall leading to major injury.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 1.24% of Patients had UTIs
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term care patients who experienced urinary tract infections. UTI's may be an indication of poor nursing care. Nevertheless, this datapoint could also be skewed for some nursing homes due to varying reporting standards for UTI's.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 10.1% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents receiving antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to make sure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited situations, increased usage of these drugs may mean a nursing home is using these medications to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 13.85% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term residents taking antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 4.64% of Patients
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 95.44% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 7.92% Percentage of Patients
This metric measures the percent of long-term patients who required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as getting dressed and eating.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 12.45% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of residents who retained mobility levels over time. Preserving mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 1.61 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of times residents are hospitalized per 1,000 days of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 12.45 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care. Avoiding rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is key to restoring the physical abilities of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 9.83 Percentage of Patients
This indicates the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term care. There is usually a correlation between fewer emergency room visits and the overall quality of rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Ararat Nursing Facility, 79.79% Percentage of Resident
This metric is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that experienced functional improvements, such as enhanced ability to perform activities of daily living. Some would argue that this is a reliable measure of rehabilitation services.
- Providence Holy Cross Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.24 miles away15031 Rinaldi St Mission Hills California 91346Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 365-8051
- Lac/Olive View-Ucla Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 3.2 miles away14445 Olive View Drive Sylmar California 91342Voluntary non-profit - Other(818) 364-1555
- Pacifica Hospital of the ValleyAcute Care Hospitals 4.77 miles away9449 San Fernando Rd Sun Valley California 91352Proprietary(818) 767-3310
- Northridge Hospital Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.76 miles away18300 Roscoe Blvd Northridge California 91325Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 885-8500
- Sherman Oaks HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 8.47 miles away4929 Van Nuys Blvd Sherman Oaks California 91403Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 981-7111
- Providence Tarzana Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 8.6 miles away18321 Clark Street Tarzana California 91356Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 881-0800
- Providence Saint Joseph Medical CtrAcute Care Hospitals 11.64 miles away501 South Buena Vista Street Burbank California 91505Voluntary non-profit - Church(818) 843-5111
- Resnick Neuropsychiatric Hospital at UclaPsychiatric 15.03 miles away150 Medical Plaza-Rm-4230c Los Angeles California 90095Government - State(310) 825-6962
- Nrc-Sylmar Dialysis, LLC0.94 miles away12151 San Fernando Rd. Sylmar California 91342CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 32 (818) 465-9464
- Fmc-San Fernando1.09 miles away451 S. Brand Blvd., Suite 100 San Fernando California 91340CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 837-9980
- Fmc-Rai-South Brand-San Fernando1.09 miles away501 S. Brand Blvd. San Fernando California 91340Dialysis Stations: 5 (818) 365-5270
- Holy Cross Renal Center1.18 miles away14901 Rinaldi Street, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 52 (818) 365-6961
- Fmc-Mission Hills1.18 miles away11550 Indian Hills Road, Suite 100 Mission Hills California 91345CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 23 (818) 898-1724
- Nrc-Kidney Care Center of North Valley, Inc2.69 miles away16907 Devonshire Street Granada Hills California 91344CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 366-4600
- u.s. Renal Care Panorama City Dialysis4.25 miles away14600 Roscoe Blvd. Panorama City California 91402CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 901-9822
- u.s. Renal Care Northridge Dialysis4.66 miles away18546 Roscoe Blvd., Suite 108 Northridge California 91324CMS Rating: 2 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 886-3771