Ararat Convalescent Hospital is a small non-profit facility in Los Angeles, California. Sporting an overall score of A-, this nursing home wound up being far superior to the average nursing home in Los Angeles. Based on all of the relevant data, you can't go wrong with this facility. The best part of this facility's strong profile was its nursing rating. We discuss nursing in the next paragraph
Ararat Convalescent Hospital
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
Registered Staff Hours
In addition to receiving a great overall grade, this nursing home received an A+ for nursing. We weighed the skill-level of nurses employed by the nursing home, as well as the quantity of hours those nurses were with residents, in calculating our grade in this area. This nursing home provides 0.6 hours of nursing care per resident per day. Finally, we also looked at several nursing quality-based metrics and this nursing home excelled in some of these areas. With less than five percent of its residents sustaining pressure ulcers, it performed as well as any place California in this category. This is generally a good indicator of quality nursing care. Pressure ulcers can often be avoided by offering better nursing care, such as by employing a policy of moving residents more often.
Short-term Care Quality
To complement its elite accomplishments in other areas, we gave this facility a grade of A for its short-term care score. In the category of short-term care, we strive to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the facility's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical and occupational therapists. Fortunately, it appear that this nursing home employs registered nurses. Not every nursing home employs these types of nurses. However, based on the data this nursing home provided, it does not look like the facility employs physical therapists. The final measure we assessed in this category is the percentage of residents who were able to leave the facility and return home. We discovered that 0 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home.
Does this page answer your questions about Ararat Convalescent Hospital?
This facility has received near flawless health inspections in recent years. We awarded them an impressive grade of A- in this category. These inspection grades weigh several factors, including deficiencies, substantiated complaints and federal fines. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Fortunately, although this facility had a few minor dings on its report, it had zero severe deficiencies. Severe deficiencies are ones labeled as categories G, H, I, J, K and L. This tells you the government inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies on this facility's report to pose an imminent threat to patient safety or health. Keep in mind that deficiency-free inspection reports are uncommon in the industry.
Long-term Care Quality
The last area we scored turned out to be this facility's weakest area. However, even in its worst category we still gave it a respectable grade of B- for our long-term care category. Long-term care grades assess a facility's assistance with daily living instead of the highly skilled therapy or medical services that are critical to a rehabilitation facility. After we finished looking at the amount of nursing care, we next considered the facility's vaccination data. We were pleased to discover that this nursing home vaccinated 100 percent of its patients against pneumonia. This place keeps its patients out of the hospital. Indeed, it had less than one hospitalization per one thousand long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Ararat Convalescent Hospital Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 7.62% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percentage of long-term patients who developed pressure ulcers. Many experts believe that pressure ulcers are a reliable barometer of a facility's nursing care quality.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 1.67% of Patients had Serious Falls
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term patients that have sustained falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indication of lower levels of patient supervision.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 1.21% of Patients had UTIs
This tells you the percentage of long-term care residents who have had UTI's. While a higher rate infections may reflect poorly on a facility's nursing care, it is problematic to compare between facilities due to inconsistent reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 10.06% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This indicates the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic drugs. These medications may be used for several medical conditions, including cognitive disorders.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 13.91% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This tells you the percent of patients who were prescribed antianxiety medications. Antianxiety drugs are prescribed to patients experiencing anxiety or depression.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 4.33% of Patients
This is a measure of the percent of long-term stay residents showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 95.72% of Patients
Measures the percent of long-term patients that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines vital to patient safety.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 8.37% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and using the bathroom. Some experts would argue this is a reasonable measure of a patient's well-being.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 14.05% Percentage of Residents
This tells you the percent of residents who maintained mobility over time. Optimizing mobility is usually a good sign for residents' health.
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 1.49 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This tells you the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is usually a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Ararat Convalescent Hospital, 14.05 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Scores for Los Angeles, CA
- Overall Rating has a grade of C
- Nurse Rating has a grade of B
- Long-term Care Rating has a grade of B-minus
- Short-term Care Rating has a grade of C
- Inspection Rating has a grade of B-minus
Looking for more options? Los Angeles, California has 74 other nursing homes
- Glendale Adventist Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 0.95 miles away1509 E Wilson Terrace Glendale California 91206Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 409-8202
- Glendale Mem Hospital & Hlth CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.39 miles away1420 S Central Ave Glendale California 91204Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 502-1900
- Huntington Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.82 miles away100 W California Blvd Pasadena California 91109Voluntary non-profit - Other(626) 397-5000
- Usc Verdugo Hills HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 4.54 miles away1812 Verdugo Blvd Glendale California 91209Voluntary non-profit - Private(818) 790-7100
- Children's Hosp of Los AngelesChildrens 5 miles away4650 Sunset Blvd, Ms 108 Los Angeles California 90027Voluntary non-profit - Private(323) 669-2164
- Hollywood Presbyterian Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.12 miles away1300 N Vermont Ave Los Angeles California 90027Proprietary(213) 413-3000
- Lac+Usc Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 5.56 miles away1200 N State St, Room c2k100 Los Angeles California 90033Government - Local(323) 226-2800
- Saint Vincent Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 6.11 miles away2131 W 3rd St Los Angeles California 90057Voluntary non-profit - Church(213) 484-7111
- Davita-North Glendale1.03 miles away1505 Wilson Terrace, Suite 190 Glendale California 91206CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 36 (818) 637-8348
- Davita-Glendale Dialysis1.48 miles away1000 E. Palmer Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 20 (818) 241-6382
- Davita-West Glendale Dialysis2.14 miles away1427 S. Glendale Avenue Glendale California 91205CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 19 (818) 241-0016
- Fmc-West Glendale2.29 miles away623 South Central Avenue Glendale California 91204Dialysis Stations: 24 (818) 240-1065
- u.s. Renal Care Verdugo Hills Dialysis2.44 miles away1808 Verdugo Blvd., Suite 200 Glendale California 91208Dialysis Stations: 25 (818) 790-0712
- Davita-Huntington Dialysis3.91 miles away390 S. Fair Oaks Blvd. Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 25 (626) 564-2818
- Huntington Dialysis Center3.94 miles away806 S. Fair Oaks Avenue Pasadena California 91105CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 48 (626) 792-0548
- Fmc-Liberty West Pasadena3.99 miles away757 S. Raymond Avenue Pasadena California 91105Dialysis Stations: 21 (626) 396-6957