AHC Applingwood is in Cordova, Tennessee. This city has a population of 78,138 people. With an overall score of B-, this is a respectable facility. This nursing home seems to have some things going for it. The best part of this facility's report card was its remarkable inspection rating. Inspection reports are discussed in the next paragraph.
- Nursing Home
Updated Jun 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Speech Therapy
- Occupational Therapy
- Physical Therapy
Registered Staff Hours
While this facility's overall grade was not bad, it really fared well in the area of inspections. In fact, we awarded it a grade of A+ for that category, which is one of our best scores. These inspection ratings take several factors into consideration, including deficiencies and substantiated complaints. You can learn more about each of these items by obtaining copies of nursing homes' inspection reports. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like we have deficiency counts for this nursing home. Without having all of the deficiency related data for this nursing home, it is difficult to really evaluate it in the area of inspections.
Long-term Care Quality
This nursing home was awarded its second highest category grade in the category of long-term care. We awarded this nursing home a grade of B- in this category, which is a respectable grade. In crafting these long-term care scores, we assess the nursing home's ability to maintain its permanent residents' health and quality of life. In addition to considering the volume of care provided by aids and other staff, we looked at the percentage of residents vaccinated for pneumonia. We discovered that this facility gave the vaccine to only 56.153847 percent of its patients, which is somewhat alarming. Nevertheless, this nursing home keeps its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had less than one hospitalization per 1,000 long-term resident days, which is an impressively low number.
Does this page answer your questions about AHC Applingwood?
This nursing home's nursing grade appears to be one of its better features. The facility received a grade of B- in this category. Our nursing grade analyzes the nursing home's level of nurse staffing. We consider both the levels of licensure of the nurses as well as the amount of time spent with patients. This facility provided just 0.4 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a relatively low total compared to most other facilities. Finally, our nursing scores also consider quality-based metrics, such as preventing major falls. Despite not having the highest total nursing hours per resident, this place actually performed admirably in the metric of preventing major falls. This is typically a good indicator that a facility has quality controls in place. Many falls can be avoided if a facility provides enough nurses aids to assist its residents.
Short-term Care Quality
Turning to the last category, this facility was awarded a grade of C in short-term care, which we consider to be a respectable score. In the category of short-term care, we endeavor to qualify indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We look at the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and physical therapists. Fortunately, it looks like this nursing home has registered nurses on staff. Not all facilities employs these types of nurses. However, based on the information this nursing home provided, they do not appear to employ physical therapists. The final datapoint we looked at in this category is the number of patients who were able to return home from the facility. We found that just 4.4 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
AHC Applingwood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In AHC Applingwood, 9.06% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This is the percent of patients who have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers, also known as bed sores, are routinely caused by patients not being moved frequently enough. Better nursing care can reduce the percentage of residents in a nursing home who sustain pressure ulcers.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In AHC Applingwood, 3.4% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who had falls which resulted in major injury. Falls can happen for a variety of reasons, but excessive numbers of falls could be a sign of lower quality nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In AHC Applingwood, 3.28% of Patients had UTIs
This indicates the percentage of patients that have had a urinary tract infection. Urinary tract infections are often the result of lower quality nursing care. Better nursing care can limit the number likelihood of residents sustaining infections. We want to point out that this metric is affected by by the fact that nursing homes have varying reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In AHC Applingwood, 15.49% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This metric gauges the percentage of long-term residents taking antipsychotic drugs. While antipsychotic drugs serve an important medical purpose, it is important to ensure these drugs are being used appropriately. In limited cases, increased usage of these drugs may mean a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In AHC Applingwood, 29.7% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This figure is an indication of the percent of long-term residents receiving antianxiety drugs.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In AHC Applingwood, 8.67% of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients showing depressive symptoms.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In AHC Applingwood, 89.63% of Patients
This is a measure of the percentage of long-term residents who received the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be very dangerous for nursing home residents, making these vaccines important for resident well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In AHC Applingwood, 16.71% Percentage of Patients
This indicates the percentage of patients that required additional assistance with activities of daily living over time.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In AHC Applingwood, 26.22% Percentage of Residents
This datapoint is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients who maintained mobility.
In AHC Applingwood, 1.21 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This is the number of times residents are hospitalized per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between staying out of the hospital and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In AHC Applingwood, 26.22 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This metric measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term care. Staying out of the hospital during rehabilitation is important to restoring the physical well-being of residents.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In AHC Applingwood, 11.37 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of times residents are sent to the emergency room per 1,000 days of short-term patient care. There is generally a correlation between having fewer emergency room visits and the quality of short-term care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In AHC Applingwood, 72.9% Percentage of Resident
This is a measure of the percent of short-term care residents that saw functional improvements.
- Saint Francis Bartlett Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 2.76 miles away2986 Kate Bond Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Proprietary(901) 820-7050
- Baptist Memorial HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 3.67 miles away6019 Walnut Grove Road Memphis Tennessee 38120Voluntary non-profit - Private(901) 226-5000
- St Francis HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 5.51 miles away5959 Park Ave Memphis Tennessee 38119Proprietary(901) 765-1000
- Crestwyn Behavioral HealthPsychiatric 9.54 miles away9485 Crestwyn Hills Cove Memphis Tennessee 38125Proprietary(901) 457-5667
- Delta Medical CenterAcute Care Hospitals 9.63 miles away3000 Getwell Rd Memphis Tennessee 38118Proprietary(901) 369-8100
- Methodist Healthcare Memphis HospitalsAcute Care Hospitals 11.72 miles away1265 Union Ave Suite 700 Memphis Tennessee 38104Voluntary non-profit - Church(901) 516-8274
- Memphis Mental Health InstitutePsychiatric 12.25 miles away951 Court Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Local(901) 577-1800
- Regional One HealthAcute Care Hospitals 12.33 miles away877 Jefferson Avenue Memphis Tennessee 38103Government - Hospital District or Authority(901) 545-7928
- Davita Wolf River Dialysis2.07 miles away7990 Trinity Road Suite 101 Cordova Tennessee 38018Dialysis Stations: 12 (901) 751-3120
- u.s. Renal Care Galleria Dialysis3.32 miles away8592 Ricky Bell Cove Memphis Tennessee 38133Dialysis Stations: 20 (901) 380-5755
- Memphis East Dialysis3.46 miles away6029 Walnut Grove Road, Suite c003 Memphis Tennessee 38120CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 34 (901) 747-2316
- Fmc Bartlett3.64 miles away3348 N Germantown Rd Memphis Tennessee 38133Dialysis Stations: 16 (901) 379-2447
- Fmc Memphis Germantown3.8 miles away7640 Wolf River Circle Germantown Tennessee 38138Dialysis Stations: 24 (901) 757-4119
- Heckscher Dialysis, LLC4.1 miles away8000 Wolf River Blvd Suite 106 Germantown Tennessee 38138Dialysis Stations: 17 (901) 757-4809
- Isd Bartlett LLC5.09 miles away2920 Covington Pike Memphis Tennessee 38128CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 12 (901) 248-6020
- Bio-Medical Applications of Tennessee, Inc5.14 miles away5020 English Towne Dr Memphis Tennessee 38128Dialysis Stations: 19 (901) 266-1551