Symphony Applewood is one of just a few nursing homes in Trenton, Michigan. This facility was given an overall grade of F. Based on our ratings, this place probably isn't a fit for anyone. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is nursing, which is discussed in the next section.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Sep 1, 2022 by Nick Reese
18500 Van Horn Rd,
Trenton MI 48183
83.8% estimated occupancy 1
Note: Symphony Applewood has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Registered Staff Hours
Even though we gave this nursing home a terrible overall grade, we awarded it a B- for our nursing rating. Our nursing rating analyzes quite a few components, however, the main consideration is the level of nurse hours spent with patients. This place averages 0.3 hours of nursing care per patient per day, which is not an impressive total. Lastly, despite not having the most impressive total nursing hours, this place actually performed admirably in the area of preventing major falls. This is generally a reliable indicator that a place has sufficient quality controls in place.
Short-term Care Quality
This facility also didn't grade out poorly in the category of short-term care. In fact, we gave it a C in that category, which is among its more favorable grades. With our short-term care category, we seek to craft a valuable measure for rehabilitation services. In doing so, we assess the facility's offerings of skilled nursing services, including both registered nurses and physical therapy, as well as speech therapy. Unfortunately, this place was below average in terms of its level of registered nurse and physical therapy hours provided to its patients based on the measures we assessed. The important question is whether this also impacted quality of care. The final metric we assessed in this area is the percentage of patients that eventually returned home from the nursing home. We found that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients returned home.
Does this page answer your questions about Symphony Applewood?
This nursing home's terrible overall grade probably can't be attributed to its government inspections. We gave it a C for our inspections rating. Our inspection grades are based on many items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are an important item to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a risk to resident safety. This nursing home had 7 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in categories G through L. This tells you inspectors did not consider any of the deficiencies to present an imminent danger to resident safety or health. Finally, this facility was cited by CMS for possible abuse or neglect. We would not recommend this facility under any circumstance.
Long-term Care Quality
Moving on to our last category, this facility didn't fare well in this category either. Due to a bottom of the barrel grade of F in long-term care, this is about as as uninspiring as it gets. For residents looking for a permanent residence rather than skilled nursing, long-term care grades are very important. One of the statistics we considered on top of nursing hours was vaccinations. Fortunately, this facility administered the pneumonia vaccine to 98.05825 percent of its patients. To our surprise, this nursing home also fared well at keeping its residents out of the hospital. In fact, it had just 0.02 hospitalizations per 1,000 long-term resident days. Sadly, some of its other scores in the category were not as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Symphony Applewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Symphony Applewood, 8.78% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This tells you the percentage of patients that have had a pressure ulcer. Pressure ulcers are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . Pressure ulcers, which are also known as bed sores, are routinely the result of patients staying in one position for too long.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Symphony Applewood, 2.9% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic measures the percentage of long-term care residents that have sustained falls which resulted in major injury. We use this statistic in determining our nursing ratings.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Symphony Applewood, 2.36% of Patients had UTIs
This statistic gauges the percentage of long-term patients who had UTI's. Although a higher rate of these infections may reflect poorly on a nursing home's nursing care, it is difficult to compare between nursing homes due to facilities having differing reporting standards.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Symphony Applewood, 13.11% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This tells you the percentage of long-term stay residents which are administered antipsychotic drugs. High levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean that a facility is using these drugs to subdue residents in situations where such drugs aren't medically indicated. However, some nursing homes may need to rely more on these medications due to having more patients with Alzheimer's or other dementias.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Symphony Applewood, 18.81% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This metric is an indication of the percentage of long-term care patients who were administered antianxiety medication. These drugs are generally used to treat residents suffering from depression and anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Symphony Applewood, 3.44% of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term care patients who are demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Symphony Applewood, 91.43% of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents that were given the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Respiratory viruses can be fatal for seniors, making these types of vaccines critical to patient well-being.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Symphony Applewood, 12.1% Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the percent of long-term patients who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. ADL's include activities such as dressing and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Symphony Applewood, 17.7% Percentage of Residents
This is the percent of patients who retained mobility levels over time. Retaining mobility can be a good sign for residents' health.
In Symphony Applewood, 1.47 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
This indicates the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. There is a correlation between having fewer hospitalizations and the overall quality of nursing home care.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Symphony Applewood, 17.7 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
This is a measure of the number of rehospitalizations per 1,000 days of short-term care. Minimizing rehospitalizations during rehabilitation is critical to restoring the physical well-being of patients.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Symphony Applewood, 10.81 Percentage of Patients
This metric is a measure of the number of emergency room visits per 1,000 days of short-term care. Avoiding medical emergencies is one way to assess patient care during rehabilitation.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Symphony Applewood, 77.3% Percentage of Resident
Measures the percent of short-term stay residents that experienced functional improvements.
- Beaumont Hospital - TrentonAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away5450 Fort Street Trenton Michigan 48183Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 671-3800
- Henry Ford Wyandotte HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away2333 Biddle Ave Wyandotte Michigan 48192Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 246-6000
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 7.88 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.5 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 12.71 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.06 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Promedica Monroe Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.56 miles away718 N Macomb St Monroe Michigan 48162Voluntary non-profit - Other(734) 240-8400
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.65 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Riverview Dialysis of Davita3.64 miles away18236 Fort St Riverview Michigan 48193CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (734) 283-4513
- Davita - Southgate6.2 miles away14752 Northline Rd Southgate Michigan 48195CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (734) 284-0005
- Fresenius Medical Care - Taylor6.42 miles away22970 Northline Rd Ste 100 Taylor Michigan 48180Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 287-6585
- Greenfield Hs - Taylor8.04 miles away24565 Haig Road Taylor Michigan 48180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (313) 291-7800
- Lincoln Park Kidney Center LLC8.86 miles away1491 Southfield Rd Lincoln Park Michigan 48146Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 928-4560
- Davita - Downriver Kidney Ctr9.47 miles away5600 Allen Rd Allen Park Michigan 48101CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 382-5933
- Fmc Dialysis - Romulus10.59 miles away11200 Metro Airport Center Dr Ste 120 Romulus Michigan 48174Dialysis Stations: 14 (734) 955-7333
- Davita - Romulus11.05 miles away31470 Ecorse Rd Romulus Michigan 48174Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 722-5455