Symphony Applewood is the lone nursing home we were able to find in Trenton, Michigan. This facility was given an overall grade of F. Based on our ratings, this place probably isn't a fit for anyone. More information on this nursing home's category grades is available below. Its best category is inspections, which is discussed in the next section.
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
- Nursing Home
- Home Health Agency
- Assisted Living
- Memory Care
Updated Apr 1, 2023 by Nick Lata
Note: Symphony Applewood has been flagged for abuse in the past 12 months. We have capped this facility's overall grade accordingly.
Get pricing and details on Trenton senior living options.Get Pricing
- Accepts Medicare 1
- Accepts Medicaid 1
- No CCRC
- Has Resident Council
- No Family Council
- For profit - Corporation
- Secure Memory Care
- Offers Hospice
- Offers Post-Acute Care
- Offers Inpatient Rehab
- Offers Outpatient Rehab
- Personal Care
- Medication Management
- Home Making
- Speech Therapy
- Stroke Recovery
- Amputee Recovery
- IV Antibiotic Therapy
- Wound Care
- Occupational Therapy
- Cardiac Therapy
- Mental Health
- Diabetes Management
- Physical Therapy
- Respiratory Therapy
- Nutritional Counseling
- Recreational Therapy
- Pain Management
- Oncology Care
- Orthopedic Rehabilitation
Get our free e-book to learn all about your senior care options.
Registered Staff Hours
While we graded this facility incredibly poorly overall, it received a fairly respectable inspection report this year. As a result, it received a decent grade in that category with a score of C. Inspection scores are tied to several items found on the a nursing home's recent inspection reports. Deficiencies are a key thing to look for on these inspections. Severe deficiencies indicate a threat to resident safety. This place was assessed 7 deficiencies on its government inspection report, but we were relieved to find that none were in any of the categories labeled G through L. This means it dodged the more serious categories of deficiencies. Finally, CMS cited this nursing home for possible abuse or neglect. Hopefully, its performance improves in the future, but until then we simply can't recommend this facility.
Short-term Care Quality
We were also pleasantly surprised to find that this facility earned a decent short-term care grade this year. We gave it a grade of C in this area. In the area of short-term care, we endeavor to assess indicators of a facility's rehabilitation services. We assess the nursing home's skilled nursing services, such as the ones performed by registered nurses and various therapists. Unfortunately, we found that this nursing home provided fewer physical therapist and registered nurse hours per resident than most other facilities. The more important thing is determining what bearing this had on the quality of care. The final item we considered in this category is the number of patients who were able to leave the facility and return to the community. We discovered that just 5.1 percent of this facility's patients were able to return home, which is below average.
Does this page answer your questions about Symphony Applewood?
This facility's next best category was nursing, but even there it received a grade of just D. This is still a well below average grade. There are quite a few criteria within this area. Many of these subcategories reflect staffing levels. This facility provided just 0.3 hours of nursing care per resident per day. This is a very low total compared to most nursing homes. Lastly, we also looked at some nursing quality measures in computing our nursing ratings. This nursing home performed well in terms of avoiding major falls and pressure ulcers. We consider these metrics to be indicators of the quality of nursing care.
Long-term Care Quality
The next category we assessed is long-term care, which is this nursing home's least impressive category. We gave this nursing home a D in that area. In a long-term care environment, the facility's primary goal is to keep patients as healthy and safe as possible. This is different than skilled nursing or short-term care where the goal is to rehabilitate patients. After considering the quantity of care provided by nurses aids and other staff, we next considered the facility's vaccination record. We were pleased to learn that this facility vaccinated 98.765434 percent of its residents against pneumonia. Surprisingly, this facility was able to limit hospitalizations. With just 0.02 hospitalizations per one thousand long-term resident days, this nursing home had fewer hospitalizations than the average nursing home. Unfortunately, a few of its other scores in the category weren't as favorable as these.
Rating Over Time
Compared to national and state averages across all facilities.
Symphony Applewood Quality Metrics
Minimizes Pressure Ulcers
In Symphony Applewood, 8.87% of Patients had Pressure Ulcers
This figure gauges the percent of long-term residents who suffer from pressure ulcers or bed sores. We factor in this statistic in computing both nursing and long-term care grades.
Minimizes Serious Falls
In Symphony Applewood, 2.93% of Patients had Serious Falls
This statistic is an indication of the percent of long-term care patients who have sustained falls which caused serious injury. Falls can arise for a variety of reasons, but high rates of major falls could be an indicator of poor nursing care.
Minimizes Urinary Tract Infections
In Symphony Applewood, 2.23% of Patients had UTIs
This is the percentage of residents that have had a urinary tract infection. UTI's are considered by many in the nursing home industry to be a measure of the quality of nursing care . UTI's are often the result of a facility with worst hygiene practices. However, this datapoint may be misleading for some facilities due to different reporting standards for these infections.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Psychotic Medication
In Symphony Applewood, 13.4% of Patients use Anti-Psychotic Medication
This is the percentage of patients who were prescribed antipsychotic medications. While antipsychotic drugs may be vital to many patients, it is important to confirm these medications are being used appropriately. In limited situations, high levels of antipsychotic drug use may mean a nursing home is using these medications to control patient behavior.
Appropriately Uses Anti-Anxiety Medication
In Symphony Applewood, 19.66% of Patients use Anti-Anxiety Medication
This indicates the percentage of residents who were given antianxiety drugs. Antianxiety drugs are given to patients suffering from depression or anxiety.
Managing Depression Among Residents
In Symphony Applewood, 3.38% of Patients
This tells you the percent of residents demonstrating symptoms of depression.
Appropriate Vaccine Usage
In Symphony Applewood, 91.02% of Patients
This is the percentage of patients who were administered the pneumonia and flu vaccines. Higher vaccination rates should be standard at this point.
Residents Maintain Autonomy
In Symphony Applewood, 12.09% Percentage of Patients
This datapoint measures the percent of long-term stay residents who required increased assistance with activities of daily living over time. Activities of daily living include activities such as moving around and taking a bath.
Ability to Keep Residents Mobile
In Symphony Applewood, 13.78% Percentage of Residents
This metric is a measure of the percentage of long-term care patients that remained mobile levels. Many in the industry believe that mobility is vital to patients physical and mental health.
In Symphony Applewood, 1.65 Hospitalizations per 1,000 resident days
Measures the number of hospitalizations per thousand days of patient care. Staying out of the hospital is important to the physical health of residents.
Short-term Care: Rehospitalizations
In Symphony Applewood, 13.78 Percentage of Residents Rehospitalized
Measures the number of times residents are rehospitalized per thousand days of short-term patient care.
Short-term Care: ER Visits
In Symphony Applewood, 11.28 Percentage of Patients
This is the number of emergency room visits per thousand days of short-term patient care. There is typically a correlation between reduced emergency room visits and the quality of care.
Short-term Care: Facilitates Functional Improvement
In Symphony Applewood, 77.57% Percentage of Resident
This datapoint measures the percentage of short-term stay residents who experienced functional improvements, such as with activities of daily living. Some argue that this is a reliable measure of a nursing home's rehabilitation performance.
- Beaumont Hospital - TrentonAcute Care Hospitals 0.78 miles away5450 Fort Street Trenton Michigan 48183Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 671-3800
- Henry Ford Wyandotte HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 6.77 miles away2333 Biddle Ave Wyandotte Michigan 48192Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 246-6000
- Beaumont Hospital - TaylorAcute Care Hospitals 7.88 miles away10000 Telegraph Road Taylor Michigan 48180Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 295-5253
- Beaumont Hospital - DearbornAcute Care Hospitals 11.5 miles away18101 Oakwood Blvd Dearborn Michigan 48124Voluntary non-profit - Private(313) 593-7125
- Beaumont Hospital - WayneAcute Care Hospitals 12.71 miles away33155 Annapolis Ave Wayne Michigan 48184Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 467-4175
- Garden City HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 15.06 miles away6245 Inkster Rd Garden City Michigan 48135Voluntary non-profit - Private(734) 421-3300
- Promedica Monroe Regional HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 16.56 miles away718 N Macomb St Monroe Michigan 48162Voluntary non-profit - Other(734) 240-8400
- Harper University HospitalAcute Care Hospitals 17.65 miles away3990 John R Street Detroit Michigan 48201Proprietary(313) 745-6211
- Riverview Dialysis of Davita3.64 miles away18236 Fort St Riverview Michigan 48193CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 22 (734) 283-4513
- Davita - Southgate6.2 miles away14752 Northline Rd Southgate Michigan 48195CMS Rating: 3 stars Dialysis Stations: 30 (734) 284-0005
- Fresenius Medical Care - Taylor6.42 miles away22970 Northline Rd Ste 100 Taylor Michigan 48180Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 287-6585
- Greenfield Hs - Taylor8.04 miles away24565 Haig Road Taylor Michigan 48180CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 27 (313) 291-7800
- Lincoln Park Kidney Center LLC8.86 miles away1491 Southfield Rd Lincoln Park Michigan 48146Dialysis Stations: 20 (313) 928-4560
- Davita - Downriver Kidney Ctr9.47 miles away5600 Allen Rd Allen Park Michigan 48101CMS Rating: 4 stars Dialysis Stations: 24 (313) 382-5933
- Fmc Dialysis - Romulus10.59 miles away11200 Metro Airport Center Dr Ste 120 Romulus Michigan 48174Dialysis Stations: 14 (734) 955-7333
- Davita - Romulus11.05 miles away31470 Ecorse Rd Romulus Michigan 48174Dialysis Stations: 12 (734) 722-5455